A public health approach to the diabetes epidemic: New York city’s diabetes registry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Frieden TR: Asleep at the switch: local public health and chronic disease. Am J Public Health 2004, 94:2059–2061. CrossRef
- Steinbrook R: Facing the diabetes epidemic—mandatory reporting of glycosylated hemoglobin values in New York City. N Engl J Med 2006, 354:545–548. CrossRef
- The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene: Diabetes Prevention and Control. http://www.nyc.gov/health/diabetes. Accessed March 15, 2006.
- Narayan KM, Boyle JP, Thompson TJ, et al.: Lifetime risk of diabetes in the United States. JAMA 2003, 290:1884–1890. CrossRef
- Gaede P, Vedel P, Larsen N, et al.: Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2003, 348:383–393. CrossRef
- Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes(UKPDS 33). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS)Group [no authors listed]. Lancet 1998, 352:837-853. [Published erratum appears in Lancet 1999, 354:602.
- McFarlane SI, Chaiken RL, Hirsch S, et al.: Near-normoglycaemic remission in African-Americans with type 2 diabetes mellitus is associated with recovery of beta cell function. Diabet Med 2001, 18:10–16. CrossRef
- Li Y, Xu W, Liao Z, et al.: Induction of long-term glycemic control in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients is associated with improvement of beta-cell function. Diabetes Care 2004, 27:2597–2602. CrossRef
- American Diabetes Association: Standards of medical care in diabetes—2006. Diabetes Care 2006, 29(suppl 1):S4-S42.
- AACE Position Statements: Implementation Conference for ACE Outpatient Diabetes Mellitus Consensus Conference Recommendations: Position Statement. http://www. aace.com/pub/pdf/guidelines/OutpatientImplementation-PositionStatement.pdf. Accessed March 15, 2006.
- Saydah SH, Fradkin J, Cowie CC: Poor control of risk factors for vascular disease among adults with previously diagnosed diabetes. JAMA 2004, 291:335–342. CrossRef
- Knowler WC, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler SE, et al.: Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 2002, 346:393–403. CrossRef
- Pan XR, Li GW, Hu YH, et al.: Effects of diet and exercise in preventing NIDDM in people with impaired glucose tolerance. The Da Qing IGT and Diabetes Study. Diabetes Care 1997, 20:537–544. CrossRef
- Tuomilehto J, Lindstrom J, Eriksson JG, et al.: Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med 2001, 344:1343–1350. CrossRef
- Chiasson JL, Josse RG, Gomis R, et al.: Acarbose treatment and the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOPNIDDM trial. JAMA 2003, 290:486–494. CrossRef
- Buchanan TA, Xiang AH, Peters RK, et al.: Preservation of pancreatic beta-cell function and prevention of type 2 diabetes by pharmacological treatment of insulin resistance in high-risk Hispanic women. Diabetes 2002, 51:2796–2803. CrossRef
- Nathan DM, Cleary PA, Backlund JY, et al.: Intensive diabetes treatment and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2005, 353:2643–2653. CrossRef
- Monitoring diabetes treatment in New York City [no authors listed]. Lancet 2006, 367:183.
- Gabbay RA, Khan L, Peterson KL: Critical Features for a success implementation of a Diabetes Registry. Diabetes Technol Ther 2005, 7:958–967. CrossRef
- MacLean CD, Littenberg B, Gagnon M, et al.: The Vermont Diabetes Information System (VDIS): study design and subject recruitment for a cluster randomized trial of a decision support system in a regional sample of primary care practices. Clin Trials 2004, 1:532–544. CrossRef
- Stroebel RJ, Schietel SM, Fitz JS, et al.: A randomized trial of three diabetes registry implementation strategies in a community internal medicine practice. Jt Comm J Qual Improv 2002, 28:441–450.
- Kerr E, Gerzoff RB, Krein SL, et al.: Diabetes care quality in the Veterans Affairs Health Care System and commercial managed care: the TRIAD study. Ann Intern Med 2004, 141:272–281.
- Government Health IT. http://www.govhealthit.com.Accessed March 3, 2006.
- A public health approach to the diabetes epidemic: New York city’s diabetes registry
Current Diabetes Reports
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 169-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links