Community-based programming to treat childhood obesity
- Vivien Morris MS, RD, MPH, LDN
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Overweight and obesity among children and adolescents have more than doubled in the past 30 years. This has in turn led to increases in debilitating chronic diseases in children, including type 2 diabetes mellitus. Clinicians may find community-based weight management programs to be useful adjunctive resources to assist youth and families to practice and maintain healthy nutrition and physical behaviors.
- Koplan JP, Liverman CT, Kraak VI, eds: Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Body mass index: about BMI for children and teens. http://www. cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/childrens_BMI/about_childrens_ BMI.htm. Accessed May 2, 2006.
- Mei Z, Grummer-Strawn LM, Pietrobelli A, et al.: Validity of body mass index compared with other body-composition screening indexes for the assessment of body fatness in children and adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 2002, 75:978–985.
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, et al.: Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. JAMA 2006, 295:1549–1555. This paper provides the most recent national prevalence data on childhood and adult obesity in the United States. Trends in overweight and obesity are also described. CrossRef
- Ogden CL, Flegal Km, Carroll MD, et al.: Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999–2000. JAMA 2002, 288:1928–1932. CrossRef
- Goran MI, Gower BA: Longitudinal study on pubertal insulin resistance. Diabetes 2001, 50:2444–2450. CrossRef
- Lenders CM, Hoppin AG: Evaluation and management of obesity. In Nutrition in Pediatrics. Edited by Walker WA, et al. Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker; 2003:917–934.
- Hannon TS, Rao G, Arslanian SA: Childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Pediatrics 2005, 116:473–480. CrossRef
- American Diabetes Association: Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2000, 105:671–680. CrossRef
- Fagot-Campagna A, Pettitt DJ, Engelgau MM, et al.: Type 2 diabetes among North American children and adolescents: an epidemiologic review and a public health perspective. J Pediatr 2000, 136:664–672. CrossRef
- National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion: Diabetes Projects. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/ projects/cda2.htm. Accessed April 30, 2006.
- Sinha R, Risch G, Teague B, et al.: Prevalence of impaired glucose tolerance among children and adolescents with marked obesity. N Engl J Med 2002, 346:802–810. CrossRef
- Rosenbloom AL, Joe JR, Young RS, Winter WE: Emerging epidemic of type 2 diabetes in youth. Diabetes Care 1999, 22:345–354. CrossRef
- Barlow SE, Dietz WH: Obesity evaluation and treatment: Expert Committee recommendations. Pediatrics 1998, 102:1–11. CrossRef
- Lenders C, Meyers A, Oh H: A clinical guide to pediatric ambulatory weight management. In Obesity & Overweight: A Clinical Guide Book. Edited by Apovian C, Lenders C. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2006, in press.
- Barlow SE, Trowbridge FL, Klish WJ, et al.: Treatment of child and adolescent obesity: reports from pediatricians, pediatric nurse practitioners, and registered dietitians. Pediatrics 2002, 110:229–235.
- Barlow SE, Dietz WH: Management of childhood and adolescent obesity: summary and recommendations based on reports from pediatricians, pediatric nurse practitioners, and registered dietitians. Pediatrics 2002, 110:236–238.
- Kumanyika S: Obesity, health disparities, and prevention paradigms: hard questions and hard choices. Preventing Chronic Disease 2005, 2:1–9. http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/ issues/2005/oct/05_0025.htm. Accessed May 15, 2006. CrossRef
- Orleans CT, Gruman J, Ulmer C, et al.: Rating our progress in population health promotion: report card on six behaviors. Am J Health Promot 1999, 14:75–82.
- Kumanyika SK: Minisymposium on obesity: Overview and some strategic considerations. Annu Rev Public Health 2001, 22:293–308. CrossRef
- McLeroy KR, Bibeau D, Steckler A, Glanz K: An ecological perspective on health promotion programs. Health Educ Q 1988, 15:351–377.
- Zabinski MF, Saelens BE, Stein RI, et al.: Overweight children’s barriers to and support for physical activity. Obes Res 2003, 11:238–246. CrossRef
- Summerbell CD, Ashton V, Campbell KJ, et al.: Interventions for treating obesity in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003, (3):CD001872. This paper provides a systematic review of interventions for treating obesity in children in both clinical and community settings.
- Stuart WP, Broome ME, Smith A, et al.: An integrative review of interventions for adolescent weight loss. J Sch Nurs 2005, 21:77–85. CrossRef
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors: Healthy Eating & Physical Activity: An Environmental Scan for Children and Youth, Community Health Promotion Programs. August 2005. http://www.chronicdisease. org/NEW/Documents/EnvironmentalScan_ObesityFINAL. pdf. Accessed June 30, 2006.
- SHAPEDOWN. http://www.shapedown.com. Accessed May 5, 2006.
- Mellin LM, Slinkard LA, Erwin CE: Adolescent obesity intervention: validation of the SHAPEDOWN program. J Am Diet Assoc 1987, 87:333–338.
- Thomas-Dobersen DA, Butler-Simon N, Fleshner M: Evaluation of a weight management intervention program in obese adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Am Diet Assoc 1993, 93:535–540. CrossRef
- Walker LLM, Gately PJ, Bewick BM, et al.: Children’s weight-loss camps: psychological benefit or jeopardy? Int J Obes 2003, 27:748–754. CrossRef
- Gately PJ, Cook CB, Barth JH, et al.: Children’s residential weight-loss programs can work: a prospective cohort study of short-term outcomes for overweight and obese children. Pediatrics 2005, 116:73–77. CrossRef
- Well Springs Camp. http://www.wellspringscamps.com. Accessed April 15, 2006.
- Morris V, Rao G: The community as a resource to support positive nutrition and physical activity behaviors in youth. In Obesity & Overweight: A Clinical Guide Book. Edited by Apovian C, Lenders C. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2006, in press. This book chapter provides a comprehensive look at community resources available to clinicians as they coordinate the weight management efforts of their pediatric patients and their families.
- Turner G: Peer support and young people’s health. J Adolesc 1999, 22:567–572. CrossRef
- Rao G, Morris V, Kutty P, et al.: FANtastic Girls (fitness and nutrition program): a community intervention to reduce overweight among adolescents in Boston [abstract]. J Urban Health 2005, 82(suppl 2):2.
- Stoddard T: Counterweight. Bostonia Magazine 2005, Spring:20–25.
- Community-based programming to treat childhood obesity
Current Diabetes Reports
Volume 6, Issue 5 , pp 395-400
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Nutrition and Fitness for Life Program, Department of Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center, 850 Harrison Avenue, Yawkey Ambulatory Care Center, Room 4S-21, 02118, Boston, MA, USA