Erectile dysfunction and diabetes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Erectile dysfunction (ED) has been the most neglected complication of diabetes. It is a common abnormality that affects more than 20 million American men. The prevalence of ED in the general population between the ages of 40 to 70 years is 52%. In men with diabetes, it ranges from 35% to 75%, and occurs at an earlier age. There have been several advances in the understanding of the physiologic and biochemical mechanisms controlling penile erections. Improved techniques in diagnoses and treatment of impotence have given the male with diabetes some hope in the management of this prevalent and emotionally disturbing complication.
- Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzichristou DG, et al.: Impotence and its medical and psychological correlates: results of the Massachusetts male aging study. J Urol 1994, 151:54–61.
- Lewis RW: Epidemiology of erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:209–215. Summarizes the recent studies showing the incidence and prevalence of ED. CrossRef
- Hakim LS, Goldstein I: Diabetic sexual dysfunction. Endocrinol Clin North Am 1996, 25:379–400. CrossRef
- NIH Consensus Conference. Impotence. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Impotence [no authors listed]. JAMA 1993, 270:83–90.
- Lue TF: Erectile dysfunction. N Engl J Med 2000, 342:1802–1813. CrossRef
- Levine LA: Diagnosis and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Am J Med 2000, 109: 3S-12S. CrossRef
- Spark RF: Overview of male sexual dysfunction. In Up-To-Date, vol 7 [educational disc]. Edited by Rose BD. Wellesley, MA: 2000:1–5; also available at: //http.www.uptodate.com.
- Nehra A, Moreland RB: Neurologic erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:289–308. CrossRef
- Rampin O, Bernabe J, Giuliano F: Spinal control of penile erection. Wor l d J Ur ol 1997, 15:2–13. CrossRef
- Hoffman AR, Crowley WF: Induction of puberty in men by long-term pulsatile administration of low dose gonadotropin-releasing hormone. N Engl J Med 1982, 307:1237–1241. CrossRef
- Rosen RC: Psychogenic erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:269–278. CrossRef
- Nisen HO, Larsen A, Lindstrom BL, et al.: Cardiovascular reflex in the neurological evaluation of impotence. Br J Urol 1993, 71: 199–203. CrossRef
- Buvat J, Quittelier E, Lemaire A, et al.: Electromyography of the human penis, including single potential analysis during flaccidity and erection induced by vasoactive agents. Int J Impot Res 1990, 2(suppl):85–86.
- Lincoln J, Crome R, Blacklay PF, et al.: Changes in the VIPergic, cholinergic and adrenergic innervation of human penile tissue in diabetic and non diabetic impotent males. J Urol 1987, 137:1053–1059.
- Saenz de Tejada I, Goldstein I, Azadzoi K, et al.: Impaired neurogenic and endothelium mediated relaxation of penile smooth muscle from diabetic men with impotence. N Engl J Med 1989, 320:1025–1030. CrossRef
- Virag R, Bouilly P, Frydaman D: Is impotence an arterial disorder? A study of arterial risk factors in 400 impotent men. Lancet 1985, 1:181–184. CrossRef
- Morales A, Heaton JPW: Hormonal erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:279–287. Discusses in detail the hormonal evaluation and management of ED, with specific recommendations regarding androgen therapy in men. CrossRef
- AACE clinical practice guidelines for the evaluation and treatment of male sexual dysfunction [no authors listed]. Endocr Pract 1998, 4:219–234.
- Paty BW, Hirsch I: Erectile dysfunction in diabetes. Practical Diabetol 2000, June:16–23.
- Greiner KA, Weigel JW: Erectile dysfunction. Am Fam Physician 1996, 54:1675–1682.
- Padma-Nathan H, Giuliano F: Oral drug therapy for erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:321–334. CrossRef
- Rendell MS, Rajfer J, Wicker PA, et al.: Sildenafil, a novel oral therapy for penile erectile dysfunction in patients with diabetes. JAMA 1999, 281:421–426. CrossRef
- Viagra [package insert]. New York: Pfizer Inc.; 1999.
- Cheitlin MD, Hutter AM, Brindis RG, et al.: Use of sildenafil (Viagra) in patients with cardiovascular disease. Circulation 1999, 99:168–177. An expert consensus statement developed by the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association regarding the use of sildenafil for ED.
- Kloner RA: Sex and patient with cardiovascular risk factors: focus on sildenafil 2000, 109: 13S–21S.
- Leungwattanakij S, Flynn V, Hellstrom WJG: Intracavernosal injection and intraurethral therapy for erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:343–354. CrossRef
- Lakin MM, Montague DR, Medendorp SV, et al.: Intracaverous injection therapy: analysis of results and complications. J Urol 1990, 143:1138–1141.
- Labasky RC, Spivack AP: Transurethral alprostadil for treatment of erectile dysfunction: two-year safety update [abstract]. J Urol 1998, 159:907A.
- Trapp JD, Edelman SV: Male impotence is a couple’s problem. In Taking Control of Your Diabetes. Caddo, LA: Professional Communications; 2000:81.
- Levine LA, Dimitiou RJ: Vacuum constriction and external erection devices in erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:355–361. Examines the development, mechanism of action, efficacy, and patient satisfaction with regard to all vacuum constriction and external erection devices. CrossRef
- Montague DK, Angermeier KW: Penile prosthesis implantation. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:355–361. CrossRef
- McLaren RH, Barrett DM: Patient and partner satisfaction with AMS 700 penile prosthesis. J Urol 1992, 147:62–65.
- Rao S, Donatucci CF: Vasculogenic impotence: arterial and venous surgery. Urol Clin North Am 2001, 28:309–391. CrossRef
- Erectile dysfunction and diabetes
Current Diabetes Reports
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 60-66
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links