Review of the Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulation Therapy (RE-LY) Trial: Warfarin Versus Dabigatran
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S, et al.: Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2009, 361:1139–1151.
Atrial fibrillation is the most common sustained arrhythmia in clinical medicine affecting over 2 million Americans. As the population ages, the risk of atrial fibrillation increases with a prevalence of 9%, and a yearly incidence of 2% in octogenarians [1–3]. Atrial fibrillation is an independent risk factor for stroke, with a yearly rate of ischemic stroke of approximately 5% [3, 4]. Patients with atrial fibrillation have an increased mortality compared with matched controls [3, 5]. Warfarin has been the recommended antithrombotic for prevention of strokes in patients with atrial fibrillation and at least one risk factor for ischemic stroke . Warfarin is more effective than placebo in decreasing stroke risk, with a relative risk reduction in ischemic stroke of 64% . Antiplatelet agents when compare
- Furberg CD, Psaty BM, Manolio TA, Gardin JM, Smith VE, Rautaharju PM. Prevalence of atrial fibrillation in elderly subjects (the Cardiovascular Health Study). Am J Cardiol. 1994;74:236–41. CrossRef
- Psaty BM, Manolio TA, Kuller LH, et al. Incidence of and risk factors for atrial fibrillation in older adults. Circulation. 1997;96:2455–61.
- Krahn AD, Manfreda J, Tate RB, Mathewson FA, Cuddy TE. The natural history of atrial fibrillation: incidence, risk factors, and prognosis in the Manitoba Follow-Up Study. Am J Med. 1995;98:476–84. CrossRef
- Atrial Fibrillation Investigators. Risk factors for stroke and efficacy of antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation. Analysis of pooled data from five randomized controlled trials Arch Intern Med. 1994;154:1449–57.
- Dries DL, Exner DV, Gersh BJ, Domanski MJ, Waclawiw MA, Stevenson LW. Atrial fibrillation is associated with an increased risk for mortality and heart failure progression in patients with asymptomatic and symptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction: a retrospective analysis of the SOLVD trials. Studies of left ventricular dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998;32:695–703. CrossRef
- Fuster V, Rydén LE, Cannom DS, et al. ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2001 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation): developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm 1Society. In: Circulation; 2006:e257-354.
- Hart RG, Pearce LA, Aguilar MI. Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Annals of internal medicine. 2007;146:857–67.
- Investigators A, Connolly SJ, Pogue J, et al. Effect of clopidogrel added to aspirin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:2066–78. CrossRef
- Tran A, Cheng-Lai A. Dabigatran eEtexilate. Cardiol Rev. 2011;19:154–61. CrossRef
- Hankey GJ, Eikelboom JW. Dabigatran etexilate: a new oral thrombin inhibitor. Circulation. 2011;123:1436–50. CrossRef
- Siddiqui FM, Qureshi AI. Dabigatran etexilate, a new oral direct thrombin inhibitor, for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation. Expet Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11:1403–11. CrossRef
- Md SC, Md AP, Phd PAR, et al. Rationale and design of RE-LY: Randomized evaluation of long-term anticoagulant therapy, warfarin, compared with dabigatran. American Heart Journal 2009;157:805–10.e2.
- Olsson SB. Stroke prevention with the oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran compared with warfarin in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (SPORTIF III): randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;362:1691–8. CrossRef
- Nagarakanti R, Ezekowitz MD, Oldgren J, et al. Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation: an analysis of patients undergoing cardioversion. Circulation. 2011;123:131–6. CrossRef
- Ezekowitz MD, Wallentin L, Connolly SJ, et al. Dabigatran and warfarin in vitamin K antagonist-naive and -experienced cohorts with atrial fibrillation. Circulation. 2010;122:2246–53. CrossRef
- Shah SV, Gage BF. Cost-effectiveness of dabigatran for stroke prophylaxis in atrial fibrillation. Circulation. 2011;123:2562–70. CrossRef
- Eikelboom JW, Wallentin L, Connolly SJ, et al. Risk of bleeding with 2 doses of dabigatran compared with warfarin in older and younger patients with atrial fibrillation: an analysis of the Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulant Therapy (RE-LY) Trial. Circulation. 2011;123:2363. CrossRef
- Wann LS, Curtis AB, Ellenbogen KA, et al. ACCF/AHA/HRS focused update on the management of patients with atrial fibrillation (update on Dabigatran): a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation; 2011;2011:1144–50. CrossRef
- Review of the Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulation Therapy (RE-LY) Trial: Warfarin Versus Dabigatran
Current Cardiology Reports
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 357-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Atrial fibrillation
- RE-LY trial
- Anticoagulation therapy
- Industry Sectors