Percutaneous Mitral Repair: Patient Selection, Results, and Future Directions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Percutaneous heart valve therapies are rapidly changing our approach to valvular heart diseases. Currently, mitral valve surgery is the treatment of choice for patients suffering from severe symptomatic mitral regurgitation. However surgery, because of its inherent risks, is not applicable to all patients, particularly for the elderly with comorbidities. Catheter-based mitral repair systems offer a new option to those high-risk patients. The edge-to-edge repair using the MitraClip device (Evalve, Menlo Park, CA), simulating the surgical Alfieri stitch via percutaneous approach proved to be a safe and feasible technique. This article discusses the currently available data for the MitraClip transcatheter mitral repair system.
- Foster E. Clinical practice. Mitral regurgitation due to degenerative mitral-valve disease. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jul 8;363(2):156–65. CrossRef
- Hussaini A, Kar S. Percutaneous mitral valve repair: potential in heart failure management. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2010 Mar;7(1):22–6. CrossRef
- Lawrie GM. Mitral valve repair vs replacement. Current recommendations and long-term results. Cardiol Clin. 1998 Aug;16(3):437–48. CrossRef
- Lee EM, Shapiro LM, Wells FC. Superiority of mitral valve repair in surgery for degenerative mitral regurgitation. Eur Heart J. 1997 Apr;18(4):655–63.
- Carpentier A, Deloche A, Dauptain J, Soyer R, Blondeau P, Piwnica A, et al. A new reconstructive operation for correction of mitral and tricuspid insufficiency. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1971 Jan;61(1):1–13.
- Carpentier A, Chauvaud S, Fabiani JN, Deloche A, Relland J, Lessana A, et al. Reconstructive surgery of mitral valve incompetence: ten-year appraisal. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1980 Mar;79(3):338–48.
- Maisano F, Caldarola A, Blasio A, De Bonis M, La Canna G, Alfieri O. Midterm results of edge-to-edge mitral valve repair without annuloplasty. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003 Dec;126(6):1987–97. CrossRef
- Alfieri O, Maisano F, De Bonis M, Stefano PL, Torracca L, Oppizzi M, et al. The double-orifice technique in mitral valve repair: a simple solution for complex problems. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2001 Oct;122(4):674–81. CrossRef
- St Goar FG, Fann JI, Komtebedde J, Foster E, Oz MC, Fogarty TJ, et al. Endovascular edge-to-edge mitral valve repair: short-term results in a porcine model. Circulation. 2003 Oct 21;108(16):1990–3. CrossRef
- Silvestry FE, Rodriguez LL, Herrmann HC, Rohatgi S, Weiss SJ, Stewart WJ, et al. Echocardiographic guidance and assessment of percutaneous repair for mitral regurgitation with the Evalve MitraClip: lessons learned from EVEREST I. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2007 Oct;20(10):1131–40. CrossRef
- • Feldman T, Wasserman HS, Herrmann HC, Gray W, Block PC, Whitlow P, et al. Percutaneous mitral valve repair using the edge-to-edge technique: six-month results of the EVEREST Phase I Clinical Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Dec 6;46(11):2134–40. This article discusses the phase 1 feasibility study of the MitraClip device. CrossRef
- Feldman T, Kar S, Rinaldi M, Fail P, Hermiller J, Smalling R, et al. Percutaneous mitral repair with the MitraClip system: safety and midterm durability in the initial EVEREST (Endovascular Valve Edge-to-Edge REpair Study) cohort. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Aug 18;54(8):686–94. CrossRef
- • Mauri L, Garg P, Massaro JM, Foster E, Glower D, Mehoudar P, et al. The EVEREST II Trial: design and rationale for a randomized study of the evalve mitraclip system compared with mitral valve surgery for mitral regurgitation. Am Heart J. 2010 Jul;160(1):23–9. This article discusses a multicenter, randomized controlled trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the transcatheter mitral valve repair procedure using the MitraClip device compared with open mitral valve repair surgery. CrossRef
- Whitlow PL. Percutaneous Edge-To-Edge Evalve Mitral Valve Repair in the US “High Risk” Registry. Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) Meeting, 21–25 September 2009, San Francisco, CA.
- Percutaneous Mitral Repair: Patient Selection, Results, and Future Directions
Current Cardiology Reports
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 100-106
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Mitral regurgitation
- Mitral repair surgery
- Transcatheter repair
- Industry Sectors