Antithrombotic therapy in cardiac stent patients
- Charles R. Cannan MBChB, FACC
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of coronary stents has made a significant impact on immediate angiographic results of coronary angioplasty as well as on the more important incidence of restenosis and the need for repeat procedures. This could not have been accomplished without adjuvant antithrombotic therapy directed predominantly at platelet function. Antiplatelet agents have significantly reduced the complications and improved the long-term outcome following coronary stent placement. This paper reviews the evolution of adjuvant antithrombotic therapy following stent placement, the agents currently used and future directions being investigated.
- Topol EJ, Mark DB, Lincoff AM, et al.: Outcomes at 1 year and economic implications of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa blockade in patients undergoing coronary stenting: results from a multicentre randomised trial. EPISTENT Investigators. Lancet 1999, 354:2019–2024. One-year follow-up of the largest randomized trial of coronary stent implantation evaluating the concomitant use of abciximab therapy. The abciximab arm had a lower overall mortality and in diabetics the incidence of target vessel revascularization was less. CrossRef
- Serruys PW, deJacgere P, Kiemeneij F, et al.: for the Benestent Study Group: A comparison of balloon-expandable-stent implantation with balloon angioplasty in patients with coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 1994, 331:489–495. CrossRef
- Fischman DL, Leon MB, Baim DS, et al.: for the Stent Restenosis Study Investigators: A randomized comparison of coronarystent placement and balloon angioplasty in the treatment of coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 1994, 331:496–501. CrossRef
- Sigwart U, Puel J, Mirkovitch V, et al.: Intravascular stents to prevent occlusion and restenosis after transluminal angioplasty. N Engl J Med 1987, 316:701–706. CrossRef
- Hasdai D, Garratt KN, Holmes Jr. DR, et al.: Coronary angioplasty and intracoronary thrombolysis are of limited efficacy in resolving early intracoronary stent thrombosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996, 28:361–367. CrossRef
- Jeong MH, Owen WG, Staab ME, et al.: Porcine model of stent thrombosis: platelets are the primary component of acute stent closure. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1996, 38:38–43. CrossRef
- Colombo A, Hall P, Nakamura S, et al.: Intracoronary stenting without anticoagulation accomplished with intravascular ultrasound guidance. Circulation 1995, 91:1676–1688.
- Schomig A, Neumann FJ, Kastrati A, et al.: A randomized comparison of antiplatelet and anticoagulant therapy after the placement of coronary-artery stent. N Engl J Med 1996, 334:1084–1089. CrossRef
- Leon MB, Baim DS, Popma JJ, et al.: A clinical trial comparing three antithrombotic-drug regimens after coronary-artery stenting. Stent Anticoagulation Restenosis Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1998, 339:1665–1671. CrossRef
- Bertrand ME, Legrand V, Boland J, et al.: Randomized multicenter comparison of conventional anticoagulation versus antiplatelet therapy in unplanned and elective coronary stenting. The full anticoagulation versus aspirin and ticlopidine (fantastic) study. Circulation 1998, 98:1597–1603.
- Berger PB, Bell MR, Hasdai D, et al.: Safety and efficacy of ticlopidine for only 2 weeks after successful intracoronary stent placement. Circulation 1999, 99:248–253.
- Quinn MJ, Fitzgerald DJ: Ticlopidine and clopidogrel. Circulation 1999, 100:1667–1672. Excellent review of these two antiplatelet agents and their role in coronary artery stent placement as well as peripheral vascular disease, unstable angina, and cerebrovascular disease.
- Bennett CL, Connors JM, Carwile JM, et al.: Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with clopidogrel. N Engl J Med 2000, 342:1773–1777. CrossRef
- Bennett CL, Weinberg PD, Rozenberg-Ben-Dror K, et al.: Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with ticlopidine. A review of 60 cases. Ann Intern Med 1998, 128:541–544.
- CAPRIE Steering Committee: A randomized, blinded trial of clopidrogel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischemic events (CAPRIE). Lancet 1996, 348:1329–1339. CrossRef
- Berger PB, Bell MR, Rihal CS, et al.: Clopidogrel versus ticlopidine after intracoronary stent placement. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999, 34:1891–1894. CrossRef
- Moussa I, Oetgen M, Roubin G, et al.: Effectiveness of clopidogrel and aspirin versus ticlopidine and aspirin in preventing stent thrombosis after coronary stent implantation. Circulation 1999, 99:2364–2366.
- Muller C, Buttner HJ, Petersen, Jens RH: A randomized comparison of clopidogrel and aspirin versus ticlopidine and aspirin after the placement of coronary-artery stents. Circulation 2000, 101:590–593.
- Ferguson JJ: Meeting highlights. Highlights of the 48th scientific sessions of the American College of Cardiology. Circulation 1999, 100:570–575.
- Waksman R, Bhargava B, Mintz GS, et al.: Late total occlusion after intracoronary brachytherapy for patients with in-stent restenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000, 36:65–68. CrossRef
- Holmes Jr. DR: Platelet glycoprotein receptor site blockade in coronary artery disease. Curr Cardiol Rep 2000, 2:69–73. CrossRef
- Lincoff AM, Califf RM, Topol EJ: Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blockade in coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000, 35:1103–1115. Detailed summary of all the recent glycoprotein IIb/IIIa antagonist trials. CrossRef
- EPIC Investigators: Use of a monoclonal antibody directed against the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor in high risk coronary angioplasty. N Engl J Med 1994, 330:956–961. CrossRef
- EPILOG Investigators: Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa blockade with abciximab with low-dose heparin during percutaneous coronary revascularization. N Engl J Med 1997, 336:1689–1696. CrossRef
- EPISTENT Investigators: Randomized placebo-controlled and balloon-angioplasty controlled trial to assess safety of coronary stenting with use of platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa blockade. Lancet 1998, 352:87–92. CrossRef
- Schomig A, Kastrati A, Dirschinger J, et al.: for the Stent versus Thrombolysis for Occluded Coronary Arteries in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction Study Investigators: Coronary stenting plus platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa blockade compared with tissue plasminogen activator in acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2000, 343:385–391. CrossRef
- The IMPACT-II Investigators: Randomised placebo-controlled trial of effect of eptifibatide on complications of percutaneous coronary intervention: IMPACT-II. Integrilin to Minimise Platelet Aggregation and Coronary Thrombosis-II [see comments]. Lancet 1997, 349:1422–1428. CrossRef
- Tcheng JE: High dose eptifibatide in elective coronary stenting. Results of the ESPRIT trial. Presented at the 49th Annual Scientific Meetings of the American College of Cardiolgy. Anaheim, CA: March 12–15, 2000.
- Ault K, Cannon CP, Mitchell J, et al.: Platelet activation in patients after an acute coronary: results from the TIMI 12 trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999, 33:634–639. CrossRef
- Kereiakes DJ, Kleiman NS, Ferguson JJ, et al.: Pharmacodynamic efficiency, clinical safety, and outcomes after prolonged platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blockade with oral xemilofiban: results of a multicenter placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Circulation 1998, 98:1268–1278.
- O’Neill WW, Serruys P, Knudtson M, et al.: for the EXCITE Trial Investigators: Long-term treatment with a platelet glycoprotein-receptor antagonist after percutaneous coronary revascularization. N Engl J Med 2000, 342:1316–1324. CrossRef
- Cannon CP, McCabe CH, Wilcox RG, et al.: Oral glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibition with orbofiban in patients with unstable coronary syndromes (OPUS-TIMI 16) trial. Circulation 2000, 102:149–156.
- Antithrombotic therapy in cardiac stent patients
Current Cardiology Reports
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 78-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Oregon Health Sciences University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, 97201, Portland, OR, USA