Current and Future Use of Intravenous Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Stroke is a common and disabling condition. Intravenous tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) administered within 3 h of symptom onset is the standard therapy for eligible patients with acute ischemic stroke. Unfortunately, because of the time limitation, very few patients with ischemic stroke actually receive this treatment. In order to increase the number of patients who may benefit from acute treatment, recent research has focused on expanding the time window for thrombolysis and improving its efficacy to ultimately improve patient outcome.
- Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke rt-PA Stroke Study Group. N Engl J Med 1995, 333:1581–1587. CrossRef
- •• Adams HP, del Zoppo G, Alberts MJ, et al.; American Heart Association; American Stroke Association Stroke Council; Clinical Cardiology Council; Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention Council; Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease and Quality of Care Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Groups: Guidelines for the early management of adults with ischemic stroke. Stroke 2007, 38:1655–1711. This is a comprehensive review of AHA-recommended treatment for patients with acute ischemic stroke. CrossRef
- Smith EE, Abdullah AR, Petkovska I, et al.: Poor outcomes in patients who do not receive intravenous tissue plasminogen activator because of mild or improving ischemic stroke. Stroke 2005, 36:2497–2499. CrossRef
- • Wahlgren N, Ahmed N, Davalos A, et al.: Thrombolysis with alteplase for acute ischaemic stroke in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-Monitoring Study (SITS-MOST): an observational study. Lancet 2007, 369:275–282. This study provides safety data from a registry of patients treated in the community with IV tPA. CrossRef
- Arora S, Broderick JP, Frankel M, et al.: Acute stroke care in the US: results from 4 pilot prototypes of the Paul Coverdell National Acute Stroke Registry. Stroke 2005, 36:1232–1240. CrossRef
- Hacke W, Donnan G, Fieschi C, et al. : Association of outcome with early stroke treatment: pooled analysis of ATLANTIS, ECASS, and NINDS rt-PA stroke trials. Lancet 2004, 363:768–774. CrossRef
- •• Hacke W, Kast M, Bluhmki E, et al.: Thrombolysis with alteplase 3 to 4.5 hours after acute ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2008, 359:1317–1329. This randomized clinical trial of IV tPA in patients 3 to 4.5 hours after acute ischemic stroke onset showed safety and efficacy of treatment. CrossRef
- Saver JL, Gornbein J, Grotta J, et al.: Number needed to treat to benefit and to harm for intravenous tissue plasminogen activator therapy in the 3 to 4.5 h window : Joint outcome table analysis of the ECASS 3 trial. Stroke 2009, 40:2433–2437. CrossRef
- •• del Zoppo G, Saver JL, Jauch EC, Adams HP: Expansion of the time window for treatment of acute ischemic stroke with intravenous tissue plasminogen activator: a Science Advisory from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 2009, 40:2945–2948. The AHA recommends expanding the IV tPA window based on recent studies but includes new exclusion criteria for the expanded window. CrossRef
- Albers G for the DEFUSE Investigators: Magnetic resonance imaging profiles predict clinical response to early reperfusion: the Diffusion and Perfusion Imaging Evaluation for Understanding Stroke (DEFUSE) Study. Ann Neurol 2006, 60:508–517.
- Davis S for the EPITHET Investigators: Effect of alteplase beyond 3 h after stroke in the Echoplanar Imaging Thrombolytic Evaluation Trial (EPITHET): a placebo-controlled randomised trial. Lancet Neurol 2008, 7:299–309. CrossRef
- Flint A, Duckwiler GR, Budzik RF, et al.; MERCI and Multi MERCI Writing Committee: Mechanical thrombectomy of intracranial internal carotid occlusion: pooled results of the MERCI and Multi MERCI Part I trials. Multi MERCI Writing Committee. Stroke 2007, 38:1274. CrossRef
- Furlan A, Higashida R, Wechsler L, et al.: Intra-arterial prourokinase for acute ischemic stroke. The PROACT II study: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1999, 282:2003–2011. CrossRef
- Alexandrov AV for the CLOTBUST Investigators: Ultrasound-enhanced systemic thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2004, 351:2170–2178. CrossRef
- Molina CA, Barreto AD, Tsivgoulis G, et al.: Transcranial ultrasound in clinical sonothrombolysis (TUCSON) trial. Ann Neurol 2009, 66:28–38. CrossRef
- Ogawa A for the MELT Japan Study Group: The local randomized trial of intraarterial infusion of urokinase within 6 hours of middle cerebral artery stroke: Middle Cerebral Artery Embolism Fibrinolytic Intervention Trial (MELT) Japan. Stroke 2007, 38:2633–2639. CrossRef
- The Penumbra Pivotal Stroke Trial Investigators: Safety and effectiveness of a new generation of mechanical devices for clot removal in intracranial large vessel occlusive disease: the Penumbra Pivotal Stroke trial. Stroke 2009, 40:2761–2768. CrossRef
- Smith WS for the Multi MERCI Investigators: Safety of mechanical thrombectomy and intravenous tissue plasminogen activator in acute ischemic stroke. Results of the Multi Mechanical Embolus Removal in Cerebral Ischemia (MERCI) trial, Part 1. Am J Neuroradiol 2006, 27:1177–1182.
- The IMS II Trial Investigators: The Interventional Management of Stroke (IMS) II study. Stroke 2007, 38:2127–2135. CrossRef
- Pancioli AM, Broderick J, Brott T, et al.: The combined approach to lysis utilizing eptifibatide and rtPA in acute ischemic stroke: the CLEAR stroke trial. Stroke 2008, 39:3268–3276. CrossRef
- Meyer BC, Raman R, Hemmen T, et al.: Efficacy of site-independent telemedicine in the STRokE DOC trial: a randomised, blinded, prospective study. Lancet Neurol 2008, 7:787–795. CrossRef
- Audebert HJ, Kukla C, von Claranau SC, et al.: Telemedicine for safe and extended use of thrombolysis in stroke: the Telemedic Pilot Project for Integrative Stroke Care (TEMPiS) in Bavaria. Stroke 2005, 36:287–291. CrossRef
- Pervez MA, Silva G, Masrur S, et al.: Remote supervision of IV tPA for acute ischemic stroke by telemedicine or telephone before transfer to a regional stroke center is feasible and safe. Stroke 2010, 41:e18–e24. CrossRef
- Schwamm LH, Audebert H, Amarenco P, et al.: Recommendations for the implementation of telemedicine within stroke systems of care: a policy statement from the American Heart Association. Stroke 2009, 40:2635–2660. CrossRef
- Current and Future Use of Intravenous Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke
Current Atherosclerosis Reports
Volume 12, Issue 5 , pp 316-321
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Acute ischemic stroke
- Endovascular treatment
- Industry Sectors