Effect of Ezetimibe on Carotid Intimal Thickness: The VYCTOR Study
- John A. Farmer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Meaney A, Ceballos G, Asbun J, et al.: The Vytorin on carotid-media thickness and overall arterial rigidity (VYCTOR ) study. J Clin Pharmacol 2009, 49:838–847.
The use of surrogate measurements in assessing the effect of therapy on atherosclerosis is attractive. Prospective, placebo-controlled clinical trials are considered the gold standard in assessing treatment efficacy and safety, but large-scale clinical trials are time consuming and expensive. The availability of validated surrogate markers potentially provides the assessment of the utility of clinical interventions on parameters that may predict the long-term effect on atherosclerosis. Hypertension, dyslipidemia, and other metabolic measurements are essentially surrogate markers. However, multiple prospective, randomized clinical trials have demonstrated that improving the lipid profile and reducing blood pressure reduce morbidity and mortality from cardiovascular disease. Due to the early clinica ...
- Furberg CD, Adams HP Jr, Applegate WB, et al.: Effect of lovastatin on early carotid atherosclerosis and cardiovascular events. Asymptomatic Carotid Artery Progression Study (ACAPS) Research Group. Circulation 1994, 90:1679–1687.
- Smilde TJ, van Wissen S, Wollersheim H, et al.: Effect of aggressive versus conventional lipid lowering on atherosclerosis progression in familial hypercholesterolaemia (ASAP): a prospective, randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet 2001, 357:577–581. CrossRef
- Kastelein JJ, Akdim F, Stroes ES, et al.: Simvastatin with or without ezetimibe in familial hypercholesterolemia. N Engl J Med 2008, 358:1431–1443. CrossRef
- Effect of Ezetimibe on Carotid Intimal Thickness: The VYCTOR Study
Current Atherosclerosis Reports
Volume 12, Issue 5 , pp 288-290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- John A. Farmer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Room 525D, Houston, TX, 77030, USA