Alcohol consumption and heart failure: A systematic review
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Heart failure (HF) remains a major public health issue. It is estimated that about 500,000 Americans per year are diagnosed with HF. Despite advanced medical and surgical treatments for HF, mortality after the onset of HF is still high, thereby underscoring the importance of primary prevention. Among modifiable lifestyle factors, alcohol consumption appears to play a role in the development of HF. Although excessive drinking has been known to lead to alcoholic cardiomyopathy and light-to-moderate drinking may confer some cardiovascular benefits, recent studies suggest it is not only the quantity, but also drinking patterns and genetic factors, that may influence the relation between alcohol consumption and cardiovascular disease. This article reviews current evidence on the association between alcohol consumption and HF.
- Rosamond W, Flegal K, Friday G, et al.: Heart disease and stroke statistics-2007 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation 2007, 115:e69–e171. CrossRef
- Djoussé L, Kochar J, Gaziano JM: Secular trends of heart failure among US Male physicians. Am Heart J 2007, 154:855–860. CrossRef
- Kloner RA, Rezkalla SH: To drink or not to drink? That is the question. Circulation 2007, 116:1306–1317. CrossRef
- Lazarevic AM, Nakatani S, Neskovic AN, et al.: Early changes in left ventricular function in chronic asymptomatic alcoholics: relation to the duration of heavy drinking. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000, 35:1599–1606. CrossRef
- Piano MR: Alcoholic cardiomyopathy: incidence, clinical characteristics, and pathophysiology. Chest 2002, 121:1638–1650. CrossRef
- Fauchier L, Babuty D, Poret P, et al.: Comparison of long-term outcome of alcoholic and idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 2000, 21:306–314. CrossRef
- Gavazzi A, De Maria R, Parolini M, Porcu M: Alcohol abuse and dilated cardiomyopathy in men. Am J Cardiol 2000, 85:1114–1118. CrossRef
- Chen DB, Wang L, Wang PH: Insulin-like growth factor I retards apoptotic signaling induced by ethanol in cardiomyocytes. Life Sci 2000, 67:1683–1693. CrossRef
- Jankala H, Eklund KK, Kokkonen JO, et al.: Ethanol infusion increases ANP and p21 gene expression in isolated perfused rat heart. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001, 281:328–333. CrossRef
- Bristow MR: Beta-adrenergic receptor blockade in chronic heart failure. Circulation 2000, 101:558–569.
- Adams MA, Hirst M: Metoprolol suppresses the development of ethanol-induced cardiac hypertrophy in the rat. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1990, 68:562–567.
- Danziger RS, Sakai M, Capogrossi MC, et al.: Ethanol acutely and reversibly suppresses excitation-contraction coupling in cardiac myocytes. Circ Res 1991, 68:1660–1668.
- Piano MR: Alcohol and heart failure. J Card Fail 2002, 8:239–246. CrossRef
- Abramson JL, Williams SA, Krumholz HM, Vaccarino V: Moderate alcohol consumption and risk of heart failure among older persons. JAMA 2001, 285:1971–1977. CrossRef
- Walsh CR, Larson MG, Evans JC, et al.: Alcohol consumption and risk for congestive heart failure in the Framingham Heart Study. Ann Intern Med 2002, 136:181–191.
- Bryson CL, Mukamal KJ, Mittleman MA, et al.: The association of alcohol consumption and incident heart failure: the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 48:305–311. CrossRef
- Klatsky AL, Chartier D, Udaltsova N, et al.: Alcohol drinking and risk of hospitalization for heart failure with and without associated coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2005, 96:346–351. CrossRef
- Djousse L, Gaziano JM: Alcohol consumption and risk of heart failure in the Physicians’ Health Study I. Circulation 2007, 115:34–39. CrossRef
- Aguilar D, Skali H, Moye LA, et al.: Alcohol consumption and prognosis in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction after a MI. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004, 43:2015–2021. CrossRef
- Cooper HA, Exner DV, Domanski MJ: Light-to-moderate alcohol consumption and prognosis in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000, 35:1753–1759. CrossRef
- O’Keefe JH, Bybee KA, Lavie CJ: Alcohol and cardiovascular health: the razor-sharp double-edged sword. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007, 50:1009–1014. CrossRef
- Djousse L, Arnett DK, Eckfeldt JH, et al.: Alcohol consumption and metabolic syndrome: does the type of beverage matter? Obes Res 2004, 12:1375–1385. CrossRef
- Tolstrup J, Jensen MK, Tjonneland A, et al.: Prospective study of alcohol drinking patterns and coronary heart disease in women and men. BMJ 2006, 332:1244–1248. CrossRef
- Mukamal KJ, Ascherio A, Mittleman MA, et al.: Alcohol and risk for ischemic stroke in men: the role of drinking patterns and usual beverage. Ann Intern Med 2005, 142:11–19.
- Evans A, Marques-Vidal P, Ducimetiere P, et al.: Patterns of alcohol consumption and cardiovascular risk in northern Ireland and France. Ann Epidemiol 2007, 17:S75–S80. CrossRef
- Ellison RC: Importance of pattern of alcohol consumption. Circulation 2005, 112:3818–3819. CrossRef
- Mukamal KJ, Maclure M, Muller JE, Mittleman MA: Binge drinking and mortality after acute MI. Circulation 2005, 112:3839–3845. CrossRef
- Hines LM, Stampfer MJ, Ma J, et al.: Genetic variation in alcohol dehydrogenase and the beneficial effect of moderate alcohol consumption on MI. N Engl J Med 2001, 344:549–555. CrossRef
- Djousse L, Levy D, Herbert AG, et al.: Influence of alcohol dehydrogenase 1C polymorphism on the alcohol-cardiovascular disease association (from the Framingham Offspring Study). Am J Cardiol 2005, 96:227–232. CrossRef
- Nicolas JM, Fernandez-Sola J, Estruch R, et al.: The effect of controlled drinking in alcoholic cardiomyopathy. Ann Intern Med 2002, 136:192–200.
- Gaziano JM, Buring JE, Breslow JL, et al.: Moderate alcohol intake, increased levels of high-density lipoprotein and its subfractions, and decreased risk of MI. N Engl J Med 1993, 329:1829–1834. CrossRef
- Greenfield JR, Samaras K, Hayward CS, et al.: Beneficial postprandial effect of a small amount of alcohol on diabetes and cardiovascular risk factors: modification by insulin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005, 90:661–672. CrossRef
- Hendriks HF: Moderate alcohol consumption and insulin sensitivity: observations and possible mechanisms. Ann Epidemiol 2007, 17:S40–S42. CrossRef
- Beulens JW, van Loon LJ, Kok FJ, et al.: The effect of moderate alcohol consumption on adiponectin oligomers and muscle oxidative capacity: a human intervention study. Diabetologia 2007, 50:1388–1392. CrossRef
- Imhof A, Woodward M, Doering A, et al.: Overall alcohol intake, beer, wine, and systemic markers of inflammation in western Europe: results from three MONICA samples (Augsburg, Glasgow, Lille). Eur Heart J 2004, 25:2092–2100. CrossRef
- Shai I, Rimm EB, Schulze MB, et al.: Moderate alcohol intake and markers of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction among diabetic men. Diabetologia 2004, 47:1760–1767. CrossRef
- Renaud S, de Lorgeril M: Wine, alcohol, platelets, and the French paradox for coronary heart disease. Lancet 1992, 339:1523–1526. CrossRef
- Dimmitt SB, Rakic V, Puddey IB, et al.: The effects of alcohol on coagulation and fibrinolytic factors: a controlled trial. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 1998, 9:39–45. CrossRef
- Torres Duarte AP, Dong QS, Young J, et al.: Inhibition of platelet aggregation in whole blood by alcohol. Thromb Res 1995, 78:107–115. CrossRef
- Booyse FM, Pan W, Grenett HE, et al.: Mechanism by which alcohol and wine polyphenols affect coronary heart disease risk. Ann Epidemiol 2007, 17:S24–S31. CrossRef
- Djousse L, Hunt CS, Eckfeldt JH, et al.: Alcohol consumption and plasma atrial natriuretic peptide (From The HyperGEN Study). Am J Cardiol 2006, 98:628–632. CrossRef
- Flesch M, Rosenkranz S, Erdmann E, Bohm M: Alcohol and the risk of MI. Basic Res Cardiol 2001, 96:128–135. CrossRef
- Koppes LL, Dekker JM, Hendriks HF, et al.: Meta-analysis of the relationship between alcohol consumption and coronary heart disease and mortality in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetologia 2006, 49:648–652. CrossRef
- Koppes LL, Dekker JM, Hendriks HF, et al.: Moderate alcohol consumption lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Diabetes Care 2005, 28:719–725. CrossRef
- Djousse L, Biggs ML, Mukamal KJ, Siscovick D: Alcohol consumption and type 2 diabetes among older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Obesity 2007, 15:1758–1765.
- Alcohol consumption and heart failure: A systematic review
Current Atherosclerosis Reports
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 117-120
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links