Stroke as a complication of congenital heart disease
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Patent foramen ovale is a common finding in the general population. It is associated with an increased risk of stroke, but it may not have a significant effect on recurrent stroke risk in medically treated patients. Recently, many questions have arisen with respect to best treatment for preventing recurrent stroke. Some data from a clinical trial of anticoagulation compared with antiplatelet therapy support anti-platelet treatment for secondary prevention. There are not enough data currently to support surgical or percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale for stroke prevention.
- Lapostolle F, Borron SW, Surget V, et al.: Stroke associated with pulmonary embolism after air travel. Neurology 2003, 60:1983–1985.
- Lethen H, Flachskampf FA, Schneider R, et al.: Frequency of deep vein thrombosis in patients with patent foramen ovale and ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack. Am J Cardiol 1997, 80:1066–1069. CrossRef
- Cramer SC, Rordorf G, Maki JH, et al.: Increased pelvic vein thrombi in cryptogenic stroke. Results of the Paradoxical Emboli from Large Veins in Ischemic Stroke (PELVIS) study. Stroke 2004, 35:46–50. CrossRef
- Steiner MM, Di Tullio MR, Rundek T, et al.: Patent foramen ovale size and embolic brain imaging findings among patients with ischemic stroke. Stroke 1998, 29:944–948.
- De Castro S, Cartoni D, Fiorelli M, et al.: Morphological and functional characteristics of patent foramen ovale and their embolic implications. Stroke 2000, 31:2407–2413.
- Mas JL, Arquizan C, Lamy C, et al.: Recurrent cerebrovascular events associated with patent foramen ovale, atrial septal aneurysm, or both. N Engl J Med 2001, 345:1740–1746. CrossRef
- Homma S, Sacco RL, Di Tullio MR, et al.: Atrial anatomy in non-cardioembolic stroke patients. Effect of medical therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003, 42:1066–1072. CrossRef
- Horton SC, Bunch TJ: Patent foramen ovale and stroke. Mayo Clin Proc 2004, 79:79–88.
- Berthet K, Thomas L, Cohen A, et al.: Significant association of atrial vulnerability with atrial septal abnormalities in young patients with ischemic stroke of unknown cause. Stroke 2000, 31:398–403.
- Lamy C, Giannesini C, Zuber M, et al.: Clinical and imaging findings in cryptogenic stroke patients with and without patent foramen ovale. The PFO-ASA Study. Stroke 2002, 33:706–711. CrossRef
- Bousser MG: Estrogens, migraine, and stroke. Stroke 2004, 35(Suppl 1):2652–2656. CrossRef
- Hagen PT, Scholz DG, Edwards WD: Incidence and size of patent foramen ovale during the first 10 decades of life: an autopsy study of 965 normal hearts. Mayo Clin Proc 1984, 59:17–20.
- Meissner I, Whisnant JP, Khandheria BK, et al.: Prevalence of potential risk factors for stroke assessed by transesophageal echocardiography and carotid ultrasonography: The SPARC Study. Mayo Clin Proc 1999, 74:862–869. CrossRef
- Agmon Y, Khandheria BK, Meissner I, et al.: Comparison of frequency of patent foramen ovale by transesophageal echocardiography in patients with cerebral ischemic events versus in subjects in the general population. Am J Cardiol 2001, 88:330–332. CrossRef
- Lechat P, Mas JL, Lascault G, et al.: Prevalence of patent foramen ovale in patients with stroke. N Engl J Med 1988, 318:1148–1152. CrossRef
- Cabanes L, Mas JL, Cohen A, et al.: Atrial septal aneurysm and patent foramen ovale as risk factors for cryptogenic stroke in patients less than 55 years of age. A study using transesophageal echocardiography. Stroke 1993, 24:1865–1873.
- Overell JR, Bone I, Lees KR: Interatrial septal abnormalities and stroke: A meta-analysis of case-control studies. Neurology 2000, 55:1172–1179.
- Bogousslavsky J, Garazi S, Jeanrenaud X, et al.: Stroke recurrence in patients with patent foramen ovale: The Lausanne Study. Neurology 1996, 46:1301–1305.
- Nedeltchev K, Arnold M, Wahl A, et al.: Outcome of patients with cryptogenic stroke and patent foramen ovale. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002, 72:347–350. CrossRef
- Homma S, Sacco RL, di Tullio MR, et al.: Effect of medical treatment in stroke patients with patent foramen ovale. Circulation 2002, 105:2625–2631. CrossRef
- Homma S, Di Tullio MR, Sacco RL, et al.: Age as a determinant of adverse events in medically treated cryptogenic stroke patients with patent foramen ovale. Stroke 2004, 35:2145–2149. CrossRef
- Messe SR, Silverman IE, Kizer JR, et al.: Practice parameter: recurrent stroke with patent foramen ovale and atrial septal aneurysm. Neurology 2004, 62:1042–1050.
- Homma S, Di Tullio MR, Sacco RL, et al.: Surgical closure of patent foramen ovale in cryptogenic stroke patients. Stroke 1997, 28:2376–2381.
- Devuyst G, Bogousslavsky J, Ruchat P, et al.: Prognosis after stroke followed by surgical closure of patent foramen ovale: a prospective follow-up study with brain MRI and simultaneous transesophageal and transcranial Doppler ultrasound. Neurology 1996, 47:1162–1166.
- Bruch L, Parsi A, Grad MO, et al.: Transcatheter closure of interatrial communications for secondary prevention of paradoxical embolism. Single-center experience. Circulation 2002, 105:2845–2848. CrossRef
- Windecker S, Wahl A, Nedeltchev K, et al.: Comparison of medical treatment with percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale in patients with cryptogenic stroke. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004, 44:750–758. CrossRef
- Khairy P, O’Donnell CP, Landzberg MJ: Transcatheter closure versus medical therapy of patent foramen ovale and presumed paradoxical thromboemboli. Ann Intern Med 2003, 139:753–760.
- Anzola GP, Morandi E, Casilli F, Onorato E: Does transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale really “Shut the Door?” A prospective study with transcranial Doppler. Stroke 2004, 35:2140–2144. CrossRef
- Krumsdorf U, Ostermayer S, Billinger K, et al.: Incidence and clinical course of thrombus formation on atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale closure devices in 1,000 consecutive patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004, 43:302–309. CrossRef
- Martin F, Sanchez P, Doherty E, et al.: Percutaneous transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale in patients with paradoxical embolism. Circulation 2002, 106:1121–1126. CrossRef
- Stroke as a complication of congenital heart disease
Current Atherosclerosis Reports
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 263-267
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links