Clinical trials of treatments for stroke
- John Blass MD, PhD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The “gold standard” for therapeutic trials is the prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. However, they are relatively clumsy instruments for discovering innovative new treatments. This article briefly reviews selected clinical trials of treatments for stroke, including stroke rehabilitation, published during 2001 and the first 2 months of 2002. It also reviews other types of studies, including close observations of single patients, which can have a valuable role in generating useful new knowledge.
- Mohr JP, Thompson JL, Lazar RM, et al., for the Warfarin-Aspirin Recurrent Stroke Study Group: A comparison of warfarin and aspirin for the prevention of recurrent ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2001, 345:1493–1495. CrossRef
- Lyden P, Jacoby M, Schim J, et al.: The Clomethiaxole Acute Stroke Study in tissue-type plasminogen activator-treated stroke (CLASS-T): final results. Neurology 2001, 57:1199–1205.
- Enlimomab Acute Stroke Trial Investigators: Use of anti-ICAM-1 therapy in ischemic stroke: results of the Enlimomab Acute Stroke Trial. Neurology 2001, 57:1428–1434.
- Sonde L, Nordstrom M, Nilsson CG, Lokk J, Viitanen M: A double-blind placebo-controlled study of the effects of amphetamine and physiotherapy after stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 2001, 12:253–257. CrossRef
- Kasner SE, Wein T, Piriyawat P, et al.: Acetaminophen for altering body temperature in acute stroke: a randomized clinical trial. Stroke 2002, 33:134–135. CrossRef
- Viscoli CM, Brass LM, Kernan WN, et al.: A clinical trial of estrogen-replacement therapy after ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2001, 345:1243–1249. CrossRef
- Brooks WH, McClure RR, Jones MR, Coleman TC, Breathitt L: Carotid angioplasty and stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: randomized trial in a community hospital. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001, 38:1589–1595. CrossRef
- van Dijk D, Nierich AP, Jansen EW, et al., for the Octopus Study Group: Early outcome after off-pump versus on-pump coronary bypass surgery: results from a randomized study. Circulation 2001, 104:1761–1766.
- Ozdemir F, Birtane M, Tabatabaei R, Kokino S, Ekuklu G: Comparing stroke rehabilitation outcomes between acute inpatient and nonintense home settings. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001, 82:1375–1379. CrossRef
- Merino JG, Silver B, Wong E, et al., for the Southwestern Ontario Stroke Program: Extending tissue plasminogen activator use to community and rural stroke patients. Stroke 2002, 33:141–146. CrossRef
- Junghaus U, Seitz RJ, Aulich A, Freund HJ, Siebler M: Bleeding risk of tirofiban, a nonpeptide GPIIb/IIIa platelet receptor antagonist in progressive stroke: an open pilot study. Cerebrovasc Dis 2001, 12:308–312. CrossRef
- Okun MS, Riestra AR, Nadeau SE: Treatment of ballism and pseudobulbar affect with sertraline. Arch Neurol 2001, 58:1682–1684. CrossRef
- Frates EP, Burke DT, Chae H, Ahangar B: Post-stroke violent adventitial movement responsive to levo-dopa/carbi-dopa therapy. Brain Injury 2001, 15:911–916. CrossRef
- Resnick JS, Engel WK, Griggs RC, Stam AC: Acetazolamide prophylaxis in hypokalemic periodic paralysis. N Engl J Med 1968, 278:582–586. CrossRef
- Jackson SL, Peterson GM, Vial JH, Daud R, Ang SY: Outcomes in the management of atrial fibrillation: clinical trial results can apply in practice. Intern Med J 2001, 31:329–336. CrossRef
- Burkman RT: Oral contraceptives: current status. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2001, 44:62–72. CrossRef
- Masand P, Gupta S, Dewan M: Suicidal ideation related to fluoxetine treatment. N Engl J Med 1991, 324:420.
- Clinical trials of treatments for stroke
Current Atherosclerosis Reports
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 265-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Medicine Group
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology and Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Burke Medical Research Institute, 785 Mamaroneck Avenue, 10605, White Plains, NY, USA