Alexander Karp and Bruce R. Vogeli (eds): Russian mathematics education: history and world significance. Series on mathematics education
- Youyu Phillips
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This book is the fourth volume in the mathematics education series of World Scientific edited by Mogens Niss of Roskilde University (Denmark), Lee Peng Yee of National Institute of Education (Singapore) and Jeremy Kilpatrick of the University of Georgia (USA). The editors of this volume, Alexander Karp and Bruce R. Vogeli of Columbia University (USA) are both well known in mathematics education in the US and around the world. They have numerous publications between them particularly of mathematics textbooks. In 1992–2000, Karp was involved in the reform of the system of Russian mathematics examinations (including the revision of their content). He was chairman of the Mathematics Department of the St. Petersburg City Independent Examination and Assessment Board. Karp is particularly interested in the history of mathematics education. This book indulges that interest and draws on his former experience in the Russian mathematics education community.
The book supplies background to research
- Cruz-Taura, G. (2003). Cuba Transition Project. Rehabilitating education in Cuba: Assessment of conditions and policy recommendations. Institute for Cuban-American Studies, University of Miami, FL.
- Formin, D. V., & Kirchenko, A. (1994). Leningrad Mathematical Olympiads, 1987–1991. Chelmsford, MA: Mathpro Press.
- Karp, A. (2007). The cold war in the Soviet school: a case study of mathematics. European Education, 38(4), 23–43. CrossRef
- Karp, A. P., & Werner, A. L. (1999). Mathematics. Textbook for grade 10 with specialization in humanities. Moscow: Prosveschenie.
- Kostamarov, N. I. (1995). Russkaya istoriya v zhizneopisaniakh ee glavnejshikh deyatelej [Russian history in biographies of its greatest personages] (Vol. 1). Moscow: Olma Media Group.
- Lester, F. K, Jr. (1985). Methodological considerations in research on mathematical problem-solving instruction. In E. A. Silver (Ed.), Teaching and learning mathematical problem solving: Multiple research perspectives (pp. 41–69). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Norton, A., & D’Ambrosio, B. S. (2008). ZPC and ZPD: zones of teaching and learning. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 39, 220–246.
- Shiryaev, A. (Ed.). (2003). Three-volume work on the hundredth anniversary of A. N. Kolmogorov’s birth. Moscow: Fizmatlit.
- Tolstoy, I. I. (2002). Memoirs. Moscow: Indrik.
- Alexander Karp and Bruce R. Vogeli (eds): Russian mathematics education: history and world significance. Series on mathematics education
Volume 44, Issue 3 , pp 453-455
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Youyu Phillips (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Keystone College, La Plume, PA, USA