Testing properties of graphs and functions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We define an analytic version of the graph property testing problem, which can be formulated as studying an unknown 2-variable symmetric function through sampling from its domain and studying the random graph obtained when using the function values as edge probabilities. We give a characterization of properties testable this way, and extend a number of results about “large graphs” to this setting.
These results can be applied to the original graph-theoretic property testing. In particular, we give a new combinatorial characterization of the testable graph properties. Furthermore, we define a class of graph properties (flexible properties) which contains all the hereditary properties, and generalize various results of Alon, Shapira, Fischer, Newman and Stav from hereditary to flexible properties.
- N. Alon, E. Fischer, I. Newman and A. Shapira, A combinatorial characterization of the testable graph properties: It’s all about regularity, STOC’ 06: Proceedings of the 38th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, ACM, New York, 2006, pp. 251–260.
- N. Alon and A. Shapira, A Characterization of the (natural) graph properties testable with one-sided error, Proc. 46-th IEEE FOCS (2005), 429–438.
- N. Alon and U. Stav, What is the furthest graph from a hereditary property? Random Structures and Algorithms, to appear.
- C. Borgs, J. T. Chayes and L. Lovász, Moments of two-variable functions and the uniqueness of graph limits, http://www.cs.elte.hu/~lovasz/limitunique.pdf
- C. Borgs, J. T. Chayes, L. Lovász, V. T. Sós, B. Szegedy and K. Vesztergombi, Graph limits and parameter testing, STOC’ 06: Proceedings of the 38th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, ACM, New York, 2006, pp. 261–270. CrossRef
- C. Borgs, J.T. Chayes, L. Lovász, V.T. Sós and K. Vesztergombi, Counting graph homomorphisms, in Topics in Discrete Mathematics (M. Klazar, J. Kratochvil, M. Loebl, J. Matoušek, R. Thomas and P. Valtr, eds.), Springer, Berlin, 2006, pp. 315–371. CrossRef
- C. Borgs, J. T. Chayes, L. Lovász, V. T. Sós and K. Vesztergombi, Convergent sequences of dense graphs I: Subgraph frequencies, metric properties and testing (submitted).
- E. Fischer and I. Newman, Testing versus estimation of graph properties, STOC’ 05: Proceedings of the 37th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, ACM, New York, 2005, pp. 138–146. CrossRef
- O. Goldreich, S. Goldwasser and D. Ron, Property testing and its connection to learning and approximation, Journal of the ACM 45 (1998), 653–750. CrossRef
- L. Lovász and B. Szegedy, Limits of dense graph sequences, Journal of Combinatorial Theory B 96 (2006), 933–957. CrossRef
- L. Lovász and B. Szegedy, Szemerédi’s Lemma for the analyst, Geometric and Functional Analysis 17 (2007), 252–270. CrossRef
- L. Lovász and B. Szegedy, The moment problem for 2-variable functions and reflection positive graph parameters, (manuscript) http://www.cs.elte.hu/~lovasz/moment.pdf
- Testing properties of graphs and functions
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 178, Issue 1 , pp 113-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Hebrew University Magnes Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors