Testing properties of graphs and functions
- László LovászAffiliated withInstitute of Mathematics, Eötvös Loránd University Email author
- , Balázs SzegedyAffiliated with
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We define an analytic version of the graph property testing problem, which can be formulated as studying an unknown 2-variable symmetric function through sampling from its domain and studying the random graph obtained when using the function values as edge probabilities. We give a characterization of properties testable this way, and extend a number of results about “large graphs” to this setting.
These results can be applied to the original graph-theoretic property testing. In particular, we give a new combinatorial characterization of the testable graph properties. Furthermore, we define a class of graph properties (flexible properties) which contains all the hereditary properties, and generalize various results of Alon, Shapira, Fischer, Newman and Stav from hereditary to flexible properties.
- Testing properties of graphs and functions
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 178, Issue 1 , pp 113-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Hebrew University Magnes Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors