On tree characterizations of G δ-embeddings and some Banach spaces
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We show that a one-to-one bounded linear operator T from a separable Banach space E to a Banach space X is a G δ-embedding if and only if every T-null tree in S E has a branch which is a boundedly complete basic sequence. We then consider the notions of regulators and skipped blocking decompositions of Banach spaces and show, in a fairly general set up, that the existence of a regulator is equivalent to that of special skipped blocking decomposition. As applications, the following results are obtained.
(a) A separable Banach space E has separable dual if and only if every w*-null tree in S E * has a branch which is a boundedly complete basic sequence.
(b) A Banach space E with separable dual has the point of continuity property if and only if every w-null tree in S E has a branch which is a boundedly complete basic sequence.
We also give examples to show that the tree hypothesis in both the cases above cannot be replaced in general with the assumption that every normalized w*-null (w-null in (b)) sequence has a subsequence which is a boundedly complete basic sequence.
- J. Bourgain and H. P. Rosenthal, Geometrical implications of certain finite dimensional decomposition, Bulletin de la Société Mathematique de Belgique. Série B 32 (1980), 57–82.
- J. Bourgain and H. P. Rosenthal, Application of the Theory of semi-embeddings to Banach space theory, Journal of Functional Analysis 52 (1983), 149–188. CrossRef
- G. A. Edgar and R. F. Wheeler, Topological properties of Banach spaces, Pacific Journal of Mathematics 115 (1984), 317–359.
- V. P. Fonf, Boundedly complete basic sequences, c 0-subspaces and injections of Banach spaces, Israel Journal of Mathematics 89 (1995), 173–188. CrossRef
- V.P. Fonf, Banach spaces that have the PC property, (Russian) Dokladi na B’lgarskata Akademiya na Naukite. Comptes Rendus de l’Académie Bulgare des Sciences 43 (1990), 15–16.
- V.P. Fonf, Conjugate subspaces and injections of Banach spaces, (Russian) Ukraïnskii Matematicheskii Zhurnal 39 (1987), 364–369; translation in Ukrainian Mathematical Journal 39 (1987).
- V. P. Fonf, Semi-embeddings and G δ-embeddings of Banach spaces, Rossiiskaya Akademiya Nauk. Matematicheskie Zametki 39(4) (1986), 550–561; translation in Mathematical Notes 39 (1986), 302–307.
- N. Ghoussoub and B. Maurey, G δ-embeddings in Hilbert spaces, Journal of Functional Analysis 61 (1985), 72–97. CrossRef
- N. Ghoussoub and B. Maurey, G δ-embeddings in Hilbert spaces, II, Journal of Functional Analysis 78 (1988), 271–305. CrossRef
- N. Ghoussoub, B. Maurey and W. Schachermayer, Geometrical Implication of certain finite dimensional decomposition, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 317 (1990), 541–584. CrossRef
- N. Ghoussoub, B. Maurey and W. Schachermayer, A counterexample to a problem on point of continuity in Banach spaces, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 99 (1987), 278–282. CrossRef
- W. B. Johnson and J. Lindenstrauss, Basic concepts in the geometry of Banach spaces, in Handbook of the geometry of Banach spaces, Vol. I, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 2001, pp. 1–84. CrossRef
- R. C. James, A separable somewhat reflexive Banach space with non-separable dual, Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 43 (1974), 738–743. CrossRef
- W. B. Johnson and H. P. Rosenthal, On weak*-basic sequence and their applications to the study of Banach space, Studia Mathematica 43 (1972), 77–92.
- N. J. Kalton, On subspaces of c 0 and extension of operators into C(K)-spaces, The Quarterly Journal of Mathematics 52 (2001), 312–328. CrossRef
- J. Lindenstrauss and C. Stegall, Examples of separable spaces which do not contain ℓ 1 and whose duals are nonseparable, Studia Mathematica 54 (1975), 81–105.
- E. Odell and Th. Schlumprecht, Trees and branches in Banach spaces, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 354 (2002), 4085–4108. CrossRef
- Ju. I. Petunin and A. N. Plichko, Teoriya Kharakteristik Podprostranstv i eë Prilozheniya, (Russian) The Theory of the Characteristics of Subspaces and its Applications “Vishcha Shkola”, Kiev, 1980.
- H. Rosenthal, Weak*-Polish Banach spaces, Journal of Functional Analysis 76 (1988), 267–316. CrossRef
- On tree characterizations of G δ-embeddings and some Banach spaces
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 167, Issue 1 , pp 27-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Hebrew University Magnes Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors