Functions of small growth with no unbounded Fatou components
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We prove a form of the cos πρ theorem which gives strong estimates for the minimum modulus of a transcendental entire function of order zero. We also prove a generalisation of a result of Hinkkanen that gives a sufficient condition for a transcendental entire function to have no unbounded Fatou components. These two results enable us to show that there is a large class of entire functions of order zero which have no unbounded Fatou components. On the other hand, we give examples which show that there are in fact functions of order zero which not only fail to satisfy Hinkkanen’s condition but also fail to satisfy our more general condition. We also give a new regularity condition that is sufficient to ensure that a transcendental entire function of order less than 1/2 has no unbounded Fatou components. Finally, we observe that all the conditions given here which guarantee that a transcendental entire function has no unbounded Fatou components also guarantee that the escaping set is connected, thus answering a question of Eremenko for such functions.
- J. M. Anderson and A. Hinkkanen, Unbounded domains of normality, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 126 (1998), 3243–3252. CrossRef
- I. N. Baker, Zusammensetzungen ganzer Funktionen, Math. Z. 69 (1958), 121–163. CrossRef
- I. N. Baker, The iteration of polynomials and transcendental entire functions, J. Austral. Math. Soc. Series A 30 (1980/81), 483–495. CrossRef
- P. D. Barry, On a theorem of Besicovitch, Quart. J. Math. Oxford Ser. (2) 14 (1963), 293–302.
- W. Bergweiler, Iteration of meromorphic functions, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 29 (1993), 151–188. CrossRef
- W. Bergweiler and A. Hinkkanen, On semiconjugation of entire functions, Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 126 (1999), 565–574. CrossRef
- H. Cartan, Sur les systèmes de fonctions holomorphes à variátás linéaires et leurs applications, Ann. Sci. École Norm. Sup. (3) 45 (1928), 255–346.
- M. L. Cartwright, Integral Functions, Cambridge University Press, 1962.
- A. E. Eremenko, On the iteration of entire functions, in Dynamical Systems and Ergodic Theory, Banach Center Publ. 23, Polish Scientific Publishers, Warsaw, 1989, pp. 339–345.
- A. Hinkkanen, Entire functions with no unbounded Fatou components, in Complex Analysis and Dynamical Systems II, Contemp. Math. 382, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2005, pp. 217–226.
- A. Hinkkanen, Entire functions with bounded Fatou components, in Transcendental Dynamics and Complex Analysis, Cambridge University Press, 2008, pp. 187–216.
- A. Hinkkanen and J. Miles, Growth conditions for entire functions with only bounded Fatou components, J. Anal. Math. 108 (2009), 87–118. CrossRef
- X. Hua and C. C. Yang, Fatou components of entire functions of small growth, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 19 (1999), 1281–1293. CrossRef
- P. J. Rippon and G. M. Stallard, On sets where iterates of a meromorphic function zip towards infinity, Bull. London Math. Soc. 32 (2000), 528–536. CrossRef
- P. J. Rippon and G. M. Stallard, On questions of Fatou and Eremenko, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 133 (2005), 1119–1126. CrossRef
- P. J. Rippon and G. M. Stallard, Escaping points of entire functions of small growth, Math. Z. 261 (2009), 557–570. CrossRef
- A. P. Singh, Composite entire functions with no unbounded Fatou components, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 335 (2007), 907–914. CrossRef
- G. M. Stallard, The iteration of entire functions of small growth, Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 114 (1993), 43–55. CrossRef
- E. C. Titchmarsh, The Theory of Functions, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, 1939.
- Y. Wang, Bounded domains of the Fatou set of an entire function, Israel J. Math. 121 (2001), 55–60. CrossRef
- Jian-Hua Zheng, Unbounded domains of normality of entire functions of small growth, Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 128 (2000), 355–361. CrossRef
- Functions of small growth with no unbounded Fatou components
Journal d'Analyse Mathématique
Volume 108, Issue 1 , pp 61-86
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Hebrew University Magnes Press
- Additional Links