An audit of drug shortages in a community pharmacy practice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There are no firm data on drug shortages in Irish community pharmacy. This prospective observational study aimed to characterise the drug shortage problem in an Irish community pharmacy.
The primary aim was to determine numbers and durations of drug shortages. Secondary aims included comparing these shortages with Irish Pharmacy Union (IPU) drug shortage lists and determining the frequency with which notifications were received prior to shortages. Further secondary aims were to examine relationships between causes of drug shortages and drug costs and between causes of drug shortages and shortage durations.
The study took place in a community pharmacy in a Limerick City suburb between October 2012 and February 2013. Data were collected daily regarding drugs that were dispensed, but unavailable to purchase. Suppliers/manufacturers provided data on the reasons for shortages.
65/1,232 dispensed drugs (5.3 %) were in short supply over the study period. Median shortage duration was 13 days (interquartile range 4–32 days) and median cost was €8.10. Numbers of unavailable drugs by month varied from 13 to 38. Monthly IPU drug shortage lists identified between six and eight of these shortages depending on the month. Two notifications were received from suppliers/manufacturers regarding shortages. Parallel exports had the highest mean costs (mean €38.05) and manufacturing problems were associated with the longest durations (mean 57.44 days).
This study highlights the drug shortage problem in an Irish community pharmacy. We propose that enhanced communication between all stakeholders is the most worthwhile solution. Further studies are needed.
- Gray A, Manasse HR Jr (2012) Shortages of medicines: a complex global challenge. Bull World Health Organ 90(3):158 CrossRef
- All_Party_Pharmacy_Group (2012) Report of the APPG inquiry into medicines shortages. http://www.appg.org.uk/downloads/APPG%20Pharmacy%20-%20Report%20of%20Inquiry%20Into%20NHS%20Medicines%20Shortages.pdf. Accessed 13 Mar 2014
- Chemist + Druggist (2013). Medicines shortages 2013. http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/documents/10242/52188dc3-f49a-463a-a3c0-a61480fa7ad2. Accessed 13 Mar 2014
- Drug shortages in hospital pharmacies (2014). http://www.hospitalpharmacyeurope.com/featured-articles/drug-shortages. Accessed 13 Mar 2014
- Gatesman MLTJ, Smith TJ (2011) The shortage of essential chemotherapy drugs in the United States. N Engl J Med 365(18):1653–1655 CrossRef
- Ventola CL (2011) The drug shortage crisis in the United States: causes, impact, and management strategies. Phys Ther 36(11):740–757
- Chabner BA (2011) Drug shortages—a critical challenge for the generic-drug market. N Engl J Med 365(23):2147–2149 CrossRef
- Link MP, Hagerty K, Kantarjian HM (2012) Chemotherapy drug shortages in the United States: genesis and potential solutions. J Clin Oncol 30(7):692–694 CrossRef
- United_States_Food_and_Drug_Administration (2013). http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/default.htm. Accessed 1 Oct 2013
- Morrison A (2011) Drug supply disruptions. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, Ottawa
- Huys IS, Simoens (2013) European drug shortages: a call for action! Int J Pharm Pract 21(1):1–2 CrossRef
- Finnegan G (2012) Pharmacists across Europe facing drug shortages. Ir Pharm 14(11):18
- European_Commission (2001) Directive 2001/83/ec of the European parliament and of the council. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/health/files/eudralex/vol-1/dir_2001_83_cons/dir2001_83_cons_20081230_en.pdf. Accessed 7 Jan 2014
- Irish_Pharmacy_Union (2013) Submission to the Department of Health on Medicines Shortages and Unlicensed Medicines. http://ipu.ie/images/stories/publications/Submissions/Submission%20on%20Medicines%20Shortages%20and%20Unlicensed%20Medicines%20Jan13.pdf. Accessed 1 Oct 2013
- Stone P, Curtis SJ (2002) Pharmacy practice, 3rd edn. Pharmaceutical Press, London
- Irish_Pharmacy_Union (2014) IPU Product File. http://ipu.ie/about-the-ipu/70726f647563742d66696c652d696e666f726d6174696f6e.html. Accessed 13 Mar 2014
- Farmanco (2014) Farmanco. http://farmanco.knmp.nl/. Accessed 1 Mar 2014
- An audit of drug shortages in a community pharmacy practice
Irish Journal of Medical Science
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer London
- Additional Links
- Community pharmacy
- Drug shortages
- Medication risk
- Patient safety
- Prescribed medicines
- Industry Sectors