Evaluation of carcinoid heart disease using delayed enhancement imaging
We read with interest the case report by Martos et al.  entitled “Cardiac carcinoid: tricuspid delayed hyperenhancement on cardiac 64-slice multidetector CT and magnetic resonance imaging”, published in the Irish Journal of Medical Science. Imaging characteristics of this rare disorder can be found in the literature; especially those features obtained using echocardiography and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The main morphological characteristics of the disease are thickening and restricted mobility of the tricuspid leaflets and subvalvular apparatus with consequent tricuspid stenosis and insufficiency. Although Martos et al. [2, 3] cite papers where characteristics of tricuspid-delayed enhancement were previously described, after careful reading we did not find any of them in the cited articles.
Delayed-MRI enhancement can delineate zones of fibrous tissue 10–30 min after intravenous administration of gadolinium chelate contrast agent . Similar depiction of scar and fibrous ti ...
- Martos R, Ridge C, Quinn M, Dodd J (2010) Cardiac carcinoid: tricuspid delayed hyperenhancement on cardiac 64-slice multidetector CT and magnetic resonance imaging. Ir J Med Sci 179:447–449. doi:10.1007/s11845-008-0273-5 CrossRef
- Mollet NR, Dymarkowski S, Bogaert J (2003) MRI and CT revealing carcinoid heart disease. Eur Radiol 13:14–18. doi:10.1007/s00330-002-1806-3 CrossRef
- Bastarrika G, Cao MG, Cano D, Barba J, de Buruaga JD (2005) Magnetic resonance imaging diagnosis of carcinoid heart disease. J Comput Assist Tomogr 29:756–759. doi:10.1097/01.rct.0000181724.69597.69 CrossRef
- Vogel-Claussen J, Rochitte CE, Wu KC, Kamel IR, Foo TK, Lima JAC, Bluemke DA (2006) Delayed enhancement MR imaging: utility in myocardial assessment. RadioGraphics 26:795–810. doi:10.1148/rg.263055047 CrossRef
- Krombach GA, Niendorf T, Günther RW, Mahnken AH (2007) Characterization of myocardial viability using MR and CT imaging. Eur Radiol 17:1433–1444. doi:10.1007/s00330-006-0531-8 CrossRef
- Evaluation of carcinoid heart disease using delayed enhancement imaging
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 180, Issue 2 , p 619
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors