A fatal case of Pasteurella multocida epiglottitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pasteurella multocida, a Gram-negative bacillus, is rarely associated with acute respiratory infections.
To describe a case of fatal P. multocida epiglottitis.
A 52-year-old gentleman developed a sore throat and died suddenly within an hour of seeing his general practitioner. Post-mortem findings were consistent with death due to laryngeal obstruction associated with epiglottitis and laryngopharyngitis. A swab taken from the epiglottis for culture was positive for P. multocida.
Physicians should be aware of the potential for acute deterioration in adults with acute epiglottitis.
- MayoSmith, MF, Hirsch, PJ, Wodzinski, SF (1986) Acute epiglottitis in adults: an 8-year experience in the state of Rhode Island. N Engl J Med 314: pp. 1133-1139
- Wick, F, Ballmer, P, Haller, A (2002) Acute epiglottitis in adults. Swiss Med Wkly 132: pp. 541-547
- Johnson, RH, Rumans, LW (1977) Unusual infections caused by Pasteurella multocida. JAMA 237: pp. 146-147 CrossRef
- Rydberg, J, White, P (1993) Pasteurella multocida as a cause of acute epiglottitis. Lancet 341: pp. 381 CrossRef
- Leung, R, Jassal, J (1994) Pasteurella epiglottitis. Aust N Z J Med 24: pp. 218
- Jenkins, WA (1997) Pasteurella multocida as a cause of acute adult epiglottitis. Am J Emerg Med 15: pp. 323 CrossRef
- Wine, N, Lim, Y, Fierer, J (1997) Pasteurella multocida epiglottitis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 123: pp. 759-761
- Glickman, M, Klein, RS (1997) Acute epiglottitis due to Pasteurella multocida in an adult without animal exposure. Emerg Infect Dis 3: pp. 408-409 CrossRef
- Prakash V, Yun H (2008) Pasteurella multocida epiglottitis and bacteremia in a patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: case report and review of the literature. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, September
- A fatal case of Pasteurella multocida epiglottitis
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 178, Issue 4 , pp 541-542
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pasteurella multocida
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medical Microbiology, Galway University Hospital, Galway, Ireland
- 2. Department of Histopathology, Galway University Hospital, Galway, Ireland
- 3. Department of Bacteriology, National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Ireland