National survey of psychiatrists’ responses to implementation of the Mental Health Act 2001 in Ireland
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ireland’s Mental Health Act 2001 resulted in substantial changes to mental health services and the process of involuntary admission.
To determine the views of Irish psychiatrists regarding the new legislation, 1 year after full implementation.
We sent questionnaires to all 735 members of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in Ireland.
The response rate was 43.7%. As much as 84% of respondents reported satisfaction with training; 69.1% reported increased workloads; 26.8% reported decreased time with service-users; 40.7% reported changes in relationships with service-users (e.g. increased empathy, but more legalistic, conflicted relationships). Almost one in three (27.4%) stated that it was not feasible to implement the Mental Health Act. Negative comments highlighted the adversarial nature of mental health tribunals, effects on therapeutic relationships and issues related to children.
The implementation of the Mental Health Act 2001 has resulted in increased workloads, more conflicted relationships with service-users and adversarial mental health tribunals.
- Kelly, BD (2007) The Irish Mental Health Act 2001. Psychiatr Bull 31: pp. 21-24 CrossRef
- Ganter, K (2005) Implementing the Mental Health Act 2001: what should be done? What can be done?. Ir J Psychol Med 22: pp. 80-81
- Kelly, BD, Lenihan, F (2006) Attitudes towards the implementation of the Mental Health Act 2001. Ir J Psychol Med 23: pp. 82-84
- O’Neill, C, Sinclair, H, Kelly, A, Kennedy, H (2002) Interaction of forensic and general psychiatric services in Ireland: learning the lessons or repeating the mistakes?. Ir J Psychol Med 19: pp. 48-54
- O’Keane, V, Jeffers, A, Moloney, E, Barry, S (2004) Irish Psychiatric Association survey of psychiatric services in Ireland. Psychiatr Bull 28: pp. 364-367 CrossRef
- National survey of psychiatrists’ responses to implementation of the Mental Health Act 2001 in Ireland
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 179, Issue 2 , pp 291-294
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Legislation, medical
- Mental health services
- Psychiatric hospitals
- Health resources
- Health-care reform
- Industry Sectors