Metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma presenting as a breast lump
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is uncommon to encounter a breast metastasis from an extramammary malignancy and even rarer from a uterine leiomyosarcoma.
We describe the third case report in the medical literature of a breast metastasis from a uterine leiomyosarcoma.
We report the management of a 56-year-old patient who presented with a breast lump 3 years after hysterectomy for a fibroid uterus. We conducted a literature review of breast leiomyosarcomas.
The excision of the breast mass revealed a low-grade leiomyosarcoma. Radiographic examinations demonstrated metastases to the lung, liver, pelvis and bone. Retrospective pathology review of her uterus identified a small focus of leiomyosarcoma. She received chemotherapy and palliative radiotherapy but passed away within few months.
Metastasis to the breast from a non-breast primary is generally a sign of disseminated disease and; thus, a poor prognostic indicator.
- Toombs BD, Kalisher L (1997) Metastatic disease to the breast: clinical, pathological and radiographic features. AJR Am J Roentgenol 129:673–676
- Cheng-Hung L, Chun-Nan Y (2003) Miin-Fu C Breast metastasis from uterine leiomyosarcoma: a case report. Arch Gynecol Obstet 267:233–235
- Madigan MN, Dempsey PJ, Krishnamurthy S (2003) Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytodiagnosis of leiomyosarcoma metastatic to the breast: a case report. Acta Cytol 47(5):783–786 CrossRef
- Chaignaud B, Hall TJ, Powers C, Subramony C, Scott-Conner CE (1994) Diagnosis and natural history of extramammary tumors metastatic to the breast. J Am Coll Surg 179:49–53
- McCrea ES, Johnston C, Haney PJ (1983) Metastasis to the breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol 141:685–690
- Tewari D, Saffari B, Cowan C, Wallick AC, Koontz MZ, Monk BJ (2006) Activity of trabectedin (ET-743, Yondelis) in metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma. Gynecol Oncol 102(3):421–424 CrossRef
- Metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma presenting as a breast lump
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 180, Issue 4 , pp 889-891
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
- 2. Department of Histopathology, Mercy University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
- 3. Department of Medical Oncology, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Cork, Ireland