- Noriaki Iwasa
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This essay develops standards for grading religions including various forms of spiritualism. First, I examine the standards proposed by William James, John Hick, Paul Knitter, Dan Cohn-Sherbok, and Harold Netland. Most of them are useful in grading religions with or without conditions. However, those standards are not enough for refined and piercing evaluation. Thus, I introduce standards used in spiritualism. Although those standards are for grading spirits and their teachings, they are useful in refined and piercing evaluation of religious phenomena. The spiritual standards complement James’s, Hick’s, Knitter’s, and Netland’s standards. Although most of the spiritual standards are rationally unjustifiable, they have practical value.
- Austen, A. W. (Ed.). (1998). Teachings of Silver Birch. Oxshott: Spiritual Truth Press.
- Cohn-Sherbok, D. (1986). Ranking religions. Religious Studies, 22(3–4), 377–386. CrossRef
- Diogenes Laertius. (1991). Lives of eminent philosophers (R. D. Hicks, Trans. Vol. 2). Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Galloway, G. (1925). The philosophy of religion. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- Griffiths, P., & Lewis, D. (1983). On grading religions, seeking truth, and being nice to people: A reply to Professor Hick. Religious Studies, 19(1), 75–80. CrossRef
- Hick, J. (1981). On grading religions. Religious Studies, 17(4), 451–467. CrossRef
- Hick, J. (1983). On conflicting religious truth-claims. Religious Studies, 19(4), 485–491. CrossRef
- Hick, J. (2004). An interpretation of religion: Human responses to the transcendent (2nd ed.). New Haven: Yale University Press.
- James, W. (1982). The varieties of religious experience: A study in human nature. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- Kardec, A. (2007). The book on mediums: Guide for mediums and invocators. New York: Cosimo.
- Knitter, P. F. (1985). No other name? A critical survey of Christian attitudes toward the world religions. Maryknoll: Orbis Books.
- Moses, W. S. (1898). Spirit teachings (Mem. ed.). London: London Spiritualist Alliance.
- Netland, H. A. (1997). Dissonant voices: Religious pluralism and the question of truth. Vancouver: Regent College Publishing.
- Ortzen, T. (Ed.). (2000). A voice in the wilderness: Further teachings from Silver Birch. Oxshott: Spiritual Truth Press.
- Sextus Empiricus. (2000). Outlines of scepticism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Stace, W. T. (1960). Mysticism and philosophy. London: Macmillan.
- Weber, M. (1949). The methodology of the social sciences (E. A. Shils & H. A. Finch, Trans.). Glencoe: Free Press.
- Grading Religions
Volume 50, Issue 1 , pp 189-209
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Noriaki Iwasa (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Independent Philosopher, Yoshinogawa, Tokushima, Japan