Mind, Mortality and Material Being
- Paul C. Anders
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Many religiously minded materialist philosophers have attempted to understand the doctrine of the survival of death from within a physicalist approach. Their goal is not to show the doctrine false, but to explain how it can be true. One such approach has been developed by Peter van Inwagen. After explaining what I call the duplication objection, I present van Inwagen’s proposal and show how a proponent might attempt to solve the problem of duplication. I argue that the very features of the view that aid the proponent in responding to the duplication objection entails the possibility of an impossible state of affairs—that two distinct persons can at the same time be identical with the same bundle of material simples. The religiously minded materialist is caught between the horns of a dilemma. One’s view regarding human persons must be robust enough to account for personal identity over time, and so not fall to the duplication objection. At the same time, the view must not entail the possibility of two persons temporarily having complete coincident existence.
- Foster, J. (1991). The Immaterial Self. London: Routledge.
- Head, J., & Cranston, S. L. (Eds.). (1961). Reincarnation. New York: Julian Press.
- Leaman, O. (1999). Key Concepts in Eastern Philosophy. London: Routledge.
- Mayro, G. (1997). Identity and Time. In M. C. Rea (Ed.), Material Constitution: A Reader (pp. 148–172). Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Rudder Baker, L. (1995). Need a Christian Be a Mind/Body Dualist? Faith and Philosophy, 12(4), 489–504.
- van Inwagen, P. (1978). The Possibility of Resurrection. International Journal for Philosophy of Religion, 9, 114–121. CrossRef
- van Inwagen, P. (1990). Material Beings. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- van Inwagen, P. (1995). Dualism and Materialism: Athens and Jerusalem? Faith and Philosophy, 12(4), 475–488.
- van Inwagen, P. (1998). The Possibility of Resurrection and Other Essays in Christian Apologetics. Boulder: Westview Press.
- van Inwagen, P. (2001). Ontology, Identity, and Modality: Essays in Metaphysics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- van Inwagen, P. (2002). Metaphysics (2nd ed.). Boulder: Westview Press.
- Yandell, K. (1999). Philosophy of Religion, A Contemporary Introduction. London: Routledge. CrossRef
- Mind, Mortality and Material Being
Volume 50, Issue 1 , pp 25-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- van Inwagen
- Personal identity
- Survival of death
- Paul C. Anders (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Edgewood College, 1000 Edgewood College Dr., Madison, WI, 53711, USA