Self-Healing Metals and Metal Matrix Composites
Self-healing in inorganic materials is a relatively new area in materials science and engineering that draws inspiration from biological systems that can self-repair damage. This article reviews the preliminary attempts to impart self-healing behavior to metals. Several challenges yet exist in the development of metallic alloys that can self-repair damage, including surface bonding issues, such as liquid/solid contact angle (wetting) and oxidation, and practical issues, such as capillary pressure for delivery of a liquid metal to a damaged area or crack, and the overall mechanical properties of a composite system. Although the applied research approaches reviewed have obtained marginal success, the development of self-healing metallic systems has the potential to benefit a wide range of industrial applications and thus deserves greater investment in fundamental research.
- D.Y. Wu, S. Meure, and D. Solomon, Prog. Polym. Sci. 33, 479 (2008). CrossRef
- M. Madham and G. Prabhakaran, Commun. Comput. Inf. Sci. 330, 466 (2012). CrossRef
- R. Lumley, Self Healing Materials: An Alternative Approach to 20 Centuries of Materials Science, ed. S. Van der Zwaag (Dordrecht: Springer, 2007), p. 219. CrossRef
- R. Djugum, R.N. Lumley, and I.J. Polmear, 2nd International Conference on Self Healing Materials (Chicago, IL, 2009).
- S.M. He, N.H. van Dijk, H. Schut, E.R. Peekstok, and S. van der Zwaag, Phys. Rev. B81, 094103-1 (2010).
- L.C. Brinson, J. Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct. 4, 229 (1993). CrossRef
- D.S. Burton, X. Gao, and L.C. Brinson, Mech. Mater. 38, 525 (2006). CrossRef
- M.V. Manuel and G.B. Olson, Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Self-Healing Materials (Noordwijik aan Zee, The Netherlands, 2007).
- M.V. Manuel, (PhD Dissertation, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2007).
- P.K. Rohatgi, B.C. Pai, and S.C. Panda, J. Mater. Sci. 14, 2277 (1979). CrossRef
- P.K. Rohatgi, R. Asthana, and S. Das, Int. Met. Rev. 31, 115 (1986). CrossRef
- P.K. Ghosh, S. Ray, and P.K. Rohatgi, Trans. Jpn. Inst. Met. 25, 440 (1984). CrossRef
- A.K. Jha and P.K. Rohatgi, J. Mater. Sci. 21, 3681 (1986). CrossRef
- J.M. Lucci, R. Amano, and P.K. Rohatgi, Proceedings of ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference 2008 DETC (ASME, NY, 2008).
- J.M. Lucci, R. Amano, P.K. Rohatgi, and B. Schultz, Proceedings of Mechanical Congress and Exhibition, IMECE2008-68304 (2008).
- J.M. Lucci, R. Amano, P.K. Rohatgi, and B. Schultz, Proceedings of Energy Nano08 ASME Turbo Expo, ENIC2008-53011 (2008).
- J.M. Lucci, R. Amano, P.K. Rohatgi, and B. Schultz, Proceedings of ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference, DETC2008-50148 (2008).
- X.G. Zheng, Y.-N. Shi, and K. Lu, Mater. Sci. Eng. 561, 52 (2013). CrossRef
- B.J. Blaiszik, S.L.B. Kramer, M.E. Grady, D.A. McIlroy, J.S. Moore, N.R. Sottos, and S.R. White, Adv. Mater. 24, 398 (2012). CrossRef
- Self-Healing Metals and Metal Matrix Composites
Volume 66, Issue 6 , pp 866-871
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors