An Overview of Opportunities for Waste Heat Recovery and Thermal Integration in the Primary Aluminum Industry
Efficient smelters currently consume roughly 13 MWh of electricity per ton of aluminum, while roughly half of that energy is lost as thermal waste. Although waste heat is abundant, current thermal integration in primary aluminum facilities remains limited. This is due to both the low quality of waste heat available and the shortage of potential uses within reasonable distance of identified waste heat sources. In this article, we present a mapping of both heat dissipation processes and heat demands around a sample facility (Alcoa Deschambault Quebec smelter). Our primary aim is to report opportunities for heat recovery and integration in the primary aluminum industry. We consider potential heat-to-sink pairings individually and assess their thermodynamic potential for producing energy savings.
- International Aluminum Institute, Current IAI Statistics, http://www.world-aluminium.org/Statistics/Current+statistics. Accessed 22 March 2012.
- T. Allagh, Global Aluminum: 2012 Outlook, http://www.platts.com/NewsFeature/2012/aluminum/index. Accessed 22 March 2012.
- Dialogue sur l’Aluminium, http://www.ledialoguesurlaluminium.com/d%C3%A9veloppement-durable/l%CA%BCaluminium-et-l%CA%BC%C3%A9nergie. Accessed 21 June 2012.
- Office of Energy Efficiency, Natural Resources Canada, http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/node/9166. Accessed 5 September 2011.
- M. Fleer, Heat Recovery from Exhaust Gas of Aluminum Reduction Cells, Reyst 2010, http://en.ru.is/media/reyst/Martin_Fleer.pdf. Accessed 11 May 2012.
- Namboothiri, S, Lavoie, P, Cotton, D, Taylor, MP (2009) Light Metals. TMS, Warrendale, PA
- Severo, DS, Gusberti, V, Pinto, ECV (2005) Light Metals. TMS, Warrendale, PA
- Leisenberg, W (2006) Light Metals. TMS, Warrendale, PA
- Kobbeltvedt, O, Roseth, S, Thonstad, J (1996) Light Metals. TMS, Warrendale, PA
- Fortini, O, Garminella, S, Kunn, E, Ruan, Y, Yacob, B, Sorensen, J (2012) Light Metals. TMS, Warrendale, PA
- D. Tremblay, Les Géants Engagés dans la Course aux Kilowattheures, May 2012, http://fr.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/imprimer.cgi?id=1107836. Accessed 17 May 2012.
- Grandes Entreprises, Évolution du Prix du Gaz, Gaz Metro, May 2012, http://www.grandesentreprises.gazmetro.com/prix-du-gaz/evolution-prix-du-gaz.aspx?culture=fr-ca. Accessed 17 May 2012.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Waste Heat Recovery: Technology and Opportunities in U.S. Industry, Industrial Technologies Program, March 2008, http://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufacturing/intensiveprocesses/pdfs/waste_heat_recovery.pdf. Accessed 11 May 2012.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Modifications and Optimization of the Organic Rankine Cycle: Improved Recovery of Waste Heat in Industrial Processes, Industrial Technologies Program, May 2011, http://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufacturing/intensiveprocesses/pdfs/organic_rankine_cycle.pdf. Accessed 11 May 2012.
- An Overview of Opportunities for Waste Heat Recovery and Thermal Integration in the Primary Aluminum Industry
Volume 64, Issue 8 , pp 990-996
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors