Cobalt—Its recovery, recycling, and application
- Shijie Wang
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although cobalt is one of the least abundant elements compared to copper and nickel, it is an important part of the composition of nearly all alloys developed since the 19th century and has been of considerable interest in recent years. In this paper, cobalt processes that were developed for mixed ore are summarized. New cobalt purification and electrodeposition developments are described, and the most important aspects of cobalt recycling and application are also presented.
- L.S. Renzoni, U.S. patent 2,367,239 (1945).
- L.S. Renzoni, U.S. patent 2,394,874 (1946).
- L.S. Renzoni and W.V. Barker Extractive Metallurgy of Copper, Nickel, and Cobalt, ed. P. Queneau (New York: Interscience Publishers, 1961), pp. 535–545.
- H. He and Q. Cai Nickel and Cobalt Metallurgy of China (Beijing: Metallurgical Publisher, 1998) (in Chinese).
- B. Love, “Nickel and Cobalt Electrometallurgical Practice”, Aqueous Electrotechnologies: Progress in Theory and Practice, Pre-Conference Short Course (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 1997).
- N.L. Piret, JOM, 50 (10) (1998), pp. 42–43.
- M.J. Hawkins JOM, 50 (10) (1998), pp. 46–50.
- S. Brown, “An African Cobalt Resource Chambishi Metals plc Zambia” (Presentation at the 2005 China International Nickel and Cobalt Industry Forum, November 2005).
- D. Rossoni, personal collection (2004).
- S.R. Izatt et al., “Extraction and Recovery of Cobalt and Copper from Various Hydrometallurgical Feed Streams Using MRT” (Presentation at the Randol 6th Annual Copper Hydromet Roundtable 2000, Tucson, Arizona, September 2000).
- S.R. Izatt et al., “Recent Advances in the Application of MRT to Nickel and Cobalt Separations from Primary and Secondary Process Streams” (Presentation at the ALTA 2006 Conference, Perth, Australia, May 2006).
- A.G. Pavlides, “Developments in Cobalt and Nickel Electrowinning Technology,” personal collection (2006).
- S. Wang, Laboratory Notes, Salt Lake City, UT (November 2000).
- H. Kramer and K. Eckert, Proceedings of EMC 2005, Vol. 3, ed. U. Waschki (Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany: Papierflieger, GDMB: 2005) pp. 1021–1024.
- Z.R. Llanos and W.G. Deering, Recycling of Metals and Engineered Materials, ed. D.L. Stewart, R. Stephens, and J.C. Daley (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 2000), pp. 759–771.
- M.V. Wang, Recycling of Metals and Engineered Materials, ed. D.L. Stewart, R. Stephens, and J.C. Daley (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 2000), pp. 781–793.
- L.D. Redden and J.N. Greaves Hydrometallurgy, Theory and Practice, ed. W.C. Cooper and D.B. Dreisinger (Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 1992), pp. 547–565.
- K.C. Sole and J.B. Hiskey, Copper-Cobre 91, Vol. III, ed. W.C. Cooper et al (Toronto: CIM, 1991), pp. 229–243.
- R.R. Grinstead, Hydrometallurgy, 12 (1984), pp. 387–400. CrossRef
- G. Leno and M.A. Guzman, Desalination, 162 (2004), pp. 211–215. CrossRef
- S. Wang, Technical Report, (Tucson, AZ: Asarco Technical Services Center, 1998).
- S. Wang, F. Ojebuoboh, and M.G. King, JOM, 55 (4) (2003), pp. 24–27.
- L. Perron, “Cobalt”, Canadian Minerals Yearbook, 1995, (Ottawa, Canada: Natural Resources Canada, 1995), pp. 23.1–23.16
- K.B. Shedd, Cobalt, U.S. Geological Survey Publications (1997), http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/ pubs/commodity/cobalt/210497.pdf.
- “Hybrid Gas-Electric Vehicles and Cobalt,” Cobalt News, 04/3 (2004), www.thecdi.com/cobaltnews.php.
- Cobalt Facts (Guildford, U.K.: Cobalt Development Institute, 2002), www.thecdi.com/cobaltfacts.php.
- Cobalt—Its recovery, recycling, and application
Volume 58, Issue 10 , pp 47-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Shijie Wang (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Kennecott Utah Copper Corp, in Magna, Utah