A century of discoveries, inventors, and new nickel alloys
- Shailesh J. Patel
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The 20th century was an explosive period for the growth of the nickel industry beginning in 1906 with the development of Monel® metal. What followed over the next 100 years was the invention of hundreds of new alloys uniquely designed for scores of applications in a multitude of industries. This paper acknowledges a number of the prolific inventors who pioneered new fields of alloy development. It also high-lights a long list of major metallurgical discoveries made by the metallurgists of the International Nickel Company.
- U.S. patents 1,755,554, 1,755,555, 1,755,556, and 1,1755,557 (22 April 1930).
- A.P. Gaghebin, The Fundamentals of Iron and Steel Castings (Toronto, Ont., Canada: The International Nickel Company, 1957).
- L.B. Pfeil, N.B. Allen, and C.G. Conway, I.S.I. Special Report No. 43 (July 1952), pp. 37–45, unpublished report.
- W. Betteridge and J. Heslop, The Nimonic Alloys, second edition, (Bristol, U.K.: Edward Arnold, 1974).
- J.S. Benjamin, Met. Trans., 1 (1970), pp. 2943–2951.
- K.C. Russell and D.F. Smith, editors, Physical Metallurgy of Controlled Expansion Invar-Type Alloys (Warrendale, PA, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 1989), pp. 253–272.
- N.B. Pilling and R.E. Bedworth, J. Ins. Met., 29 (1923), pp. 529–582.
- W. DeLong, Welding Research Supplement, AWS (July 1973), pp. 281-s–297-s.
- H.R. Copson, Physical Metallurgy of Stress Corrosion Fracture (New York: Interscience Publishers, Inc., 1959).
- W.A. Fragetta and J.R. Mihalisin, ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 339 (1963), pp. 69–72.
- H.L. Eiselstein, ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 360 (1965), pp. 62–79.
- U.S. patent 6,491,769 (10 December 2002).
- U.S. patent 6,372,181 (16 April 2002).
- U.S. patent 6,537,393 (25 March 2003).
- U.S. patent 6,918,967 (19 July 2005).
- A century of discoveries, inventors, and new nickel alloys
Volume 58, Issue 9 , pp 18-20
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Special Metals Corporation in Hungtington, West Virginia