Recent progress in the coating protection of gamma titanium-aluminides
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Engine designers show continued interest in titanium aluminides based on the intermetallic γ-TiAl phase as lightweight structural materials to be used at moderately elevated temperatures. Although alloy development has made significant progress in terms of mechanical properties and environmental resistance, protective coatings have been developed that help to extend the lifetime of these alloys significantly. The major challenge of coating development is long-termstability of aprotective oxide scale that forms during service for which purpose alumina formation is essential. Furthermore, changes of coating chemistries at high temperatures must be controlled to avoid rapid degradation of the coatings due to diffusional losses into the substrate material and vice versa.
- A. Gilchrist and T.M. Pollock. Struct. Intermetallics 2001, ed. K.J. Hemker et al. (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 2001), pp. 3–12.
- W. Smarlsy et al., Struct. Intermetallics 2001, in Ref. 1, pp. 25–34.
- N.A. Walker and N.E. Glover, Struct. Intermetallics 2001. in Ref. 1, pp. 19–24.
- W.D. Münz, D. Schulze, and F.J.M. Hauzer, Surf. Coat. Tech., 50 (1992), p. 169. CrossRef
- G. Håkansson et al., Surf. Coat. Tech. 48 (1991), p. 51. CrossRef
- I. Petrov et al., Thin Solid Films, 302 (1997), p. 179. CrossRef
- C. Leyens et al., Surf. Coat. Tech., 155(2–3) (2003), pp. 103–111.
- M.I. Lembke et al., Surf. Eng., 17 (2) (2001), pp. 153–158. CrossRef
- C. Leyens, M. Peters, and W.A. Kaysser, Adv. Eng. Mat., 2 (5) (2000), pp. 265–269. CrossRef
- C. Leyens et al., Surf. Coat. Tech., 108–109, (1998), pp. 30–35. CrossRef
- M.P. Brady et al., JOM, 48 (11) (1996), pp. 46–50.
- C. Leyens et al. Gamma Titanium Aluminides 2003, ed. Y.-W. Kim, H. Clemens, and A.H. Rosenberger (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 2003), pp. 551–557.
- C. Leyens, R. Braun, and M. Peters, 10th World Conference on Titanium (Hamburg, Germany: Wiley-VCH, 2003).
- C. Leyens and R. Braun, Mater. Sci. Forum. 461–464 (2004), pp. 223–230. CrossRef
- C. Leyens et al., Materials for Advanced Power Engineering, ed. J. Lecomte-Beckers et al. (Juelich, Germany: Schriften des Forschungszentrum, Reihe Energietechnik, 2002), pp. 465–474.
- T.N. Rhys-Jones and F.C. Toriz, High Temp. Technol., 7 (2) (1989) pp. 73–81.
- R.A. Miller, “Thermal Barrier Coatings for Aircraft Engines-History and Directions,” in NASA CP 3312 (1995), pp. 17–34.
- M.F. Trubelia et al., Advanced Turbine Systems Annual Program Review Meeting 1997 Conference Proceedings (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Energy).
- D.V. Rigney et al., J. Therm. Spray Tech., 6 (2) (1997) pp. 167–175. CrossRef
- C. Leyens et al., Zeitschrift fur Metallkunde 92 (7) (2001) pp. 762–772.
- M. Peters et al., Adv. Eng. Mater. 3 (4) (2001) pp. 193–204. CrossRef
- Recent progress in the coating protection of gamma titanium-aluminides
Volume 58, Issue 1 , pp 17-21
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors