Reactive-extraction of 2,3-butanediol from fermentation broth by propionaldehyde: Equilibrium and kinetic study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An effective process was developed to separate 2,3-butanediol (2,3-BD) from fermentation broth (FB) by reactive-extraction. Propionaldehyde (PRA) was used as reactant and reaction product 2-ethyl-4,5-dimethyl-1,3-dioxolane (EDD) acted as extractant. HCl was selected as catalyst. Appropriate conditions were obtained by experiment as follows: 10 °C, C HCl =0.2mol·L−1, two-stage cross-current extraction, reactant volume ratio (V PRA : V FB ) for first stage and second stage is 0.10 and 0.05, respectively. The yield rate of 2,3-butanediol for the whole process can reach 90% w/w, and 2,3-butanediol in the final product can be more than 99% w/w. The novel process required less solution and especially had advantages in treating dilute fermentation broth. Furthermore, equilibrium and kinetic study were investigated on the reaction of propionaldehyde and 2,3-butanediol to provide basic data for process development. The results reveal that reaction enthalpy and activation energy of the reaction were −21.84±2.38 KJ·mol−1 and 51.97±2.84 KJ·mol−1, respectively. Kinetics was well described by pseudo-homogeneous model.
- W. John and N. Knowlton, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 68, 208 (1946). CrossRef
- M. C. Flickinger, Biotechnol. Bioeng., 22, 27 (1980). CrossRef
- N. B. Jansen, M. C. Flickinger and G. T. Tsao, Biotechnol. Bioeng., 26, 362 (1984). CrossRef
- E. K. C. Yu and N. Levitin, Biotechnol. Lett., 4, 741 (1982). CrossRef
- K. K. Cheng, Q. Liu and J. A. Zhang, Process Biochem., 45, 613 (2010). CrossRef
- S. L. Garg and A. Jain, Bioresour. Technol., 51, 103 (1995). CrossRef
- X. J. Ji, H. Huang and P. K. Ouyang, Biotechnol. Adv., 29, 351 (2011). CrossRef
- H. Biebl, A. P. Zeng, K. Menzel and W. D. Deckwer, Appl. Microbio. Biotechnol., 50, 24 (1998). CrossRef
- P. S. Nigam and A. Singh, Progress in Energy Combust. Sci., 37, 52 (2010). CrossRef
- J. A. Wheat, J. D. Leslie and R.V. Tomkins, Can. J. Res., 26F, 469 (1948). CrossRef
- P. Shao and A. Kumar, J. Membr. Sci., 329, 160 (2009). CrossRef
- Z.G. Li, H. Teng and Z. L. Xiu, Process Biochem., 45, 731 (2010). CrossRef
- M. Senkus, Ind. Eng. Chem., 38, 913 (1946). CrossRef
- B. T. Xiang, S. F. Chen and D. H. Liu, J. Tsinghua University, 41, 53 (2001).
- Z. L. Xiu and A. P. Zeng, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 6, 917 (2008). CrossRef
- J. Hao, F. Xu, H. J. Liu and D. H. Liu, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 81, 102 (2006). CrossRef
- Y. J. Li, Y. Y. Wu, J.W. Zhu and J. X. Liu, Biotechnol. Biopro. Eng., 17, 317 (2012).
- Z.M. Xie, W. M. Zhang and L.M. Zhang, Basic Chemistry, Science Press, Beijing (2009).
- L. Zhang, Z.M. Xiu and X. Q. Yuan, Elements of chemical reaction engineering, East China University of Science and Technology Press, Shanghai (2000).
- Y. Hu, R. D Lv, G. J. Liu and E. C. Hei, Physical Chemistry, Higher Education Press, Beijing (2007).
- J. Zhou, W.T. Bi and K. H. Row, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 28(7), 1608 (2011). CrossRef
- B. Wu, J.W. Zhu, K. Chen, L. J. Ji, J.G. Guo and J. X. Zhao, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 20(2), 354 (2003). CrossRef
- X. P. Wang and S. L. Xing, Tianjin Chem. Ind., 23(3), 40 (2009).
- Reactive-extraction of 2,3-butanediol from fermentation broth by propionaldehyde: Equilibrium and kinetic study
Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 30, Issue 1 , pp 73-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Fermentation Broth
- Industry Sectors