Recovery of nickel from chromite overburden, Sukinda using Aspergillus niger supplemented with manganese
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oxalic acid is a prominent metabolite secreted by several fungi under specific conditions, which acts as a metal chelating agent. Amongst different fungal species, Aspergillus niger is favored as the best option for microbial production of oxalic acid. The present study deals with the oxalic acid over production by A. niger in response to manganese supplement to its growth medium, which in turn improves the recovery of nickel from pre-treated chromite overburden(COB) during fungal bioleaching. The metabolic pathway in oxalate bio-synthesis by A. niger involves one prominent cytoplasmic enzyme oxaloacetate acetylhydrolase (OAH), which catalyzes the breakdown of oxaloacetate metabolic intermediate to oxalate and acetate. Oxalic acid production was increased due to supplement of manganese to the culture medium of the A. niger. Manganese acts as cofactor for OAH enzyme; further, it enhances the catalytic activity of OAH to produce more oxalate. With oxalic acid production by A. niger, nickel recovery from pre-treated COB was improved. During the study, a maximum of nickel recovery was achieved up to 38.6% from pre-treated COB by adding 80 ppm of manganese to the culture media, whereas 24.0% of nickel was recovered without supplement of manganese (experiments were performed at 30 °C and the COB pulp density 2% w/v).
- L.B. Sukla, V.V. Panchanadikar and R. N. Kar, World J. Microb. Biot., 9, 255 (1993). CrossRef
- B. Ahmad, H. N. Bhatti and Sadia Ilyas, Afr. J. Biotechnol., 10(54), 11196 (2011).
- M. Valix, F. Usai and R. Malik, Min. Eng., 14(2), 197 (2001). CrossRef
- S. Nouren, H. N. Bhatti and S. Ilyas, Afr. J. Biotechnol., 10(52), 10664 (2011).
- Dutton and C. S. Evans, Can. J. Microbiol., 42, 881 (1996). CrossRef
- K. Bosecker, FEMS Microbiol. Rev., 20, 591 (1997). CrossRef
- W. Burgstaller and F. Schinner, J. Biotechnol., 17, 91 (1993). CrossRef
- K. Tsekova, D. Todorova and S. Ganeva, Int. Biodeter. Biodegr., 64, 447 (2010). CrossRef
- J. C. Pernet, Encyclopaedia of chemical technology, Interscience Publishers Inc., New York (1991).
- C. P. Kubicek, G. S. Kunar, W. Woèhrer and M. Roèhr, Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 54, 633 (1988).
- C. P. Kubicek and M. Rohr, CRC Crit. Rev. Biotechnol., 3, 331 (1986). CrossRef
- L. B. Sukla, K.M. Swamy, K. L. Narayana, R.N. Kar and V.V. Panchanadikar, Hydrometallurgy, 37(3), 387 (1995). CrossRef
- F. Anjum, H.N. Bhatti and M.A. Ghaur, Hydrometallurgy, 100, 122 (2010). CrossRef
- F. Anjum, H.N. Bhatti, M. Asgher and M. Shahid, Appl. Clay Sci., 47, 356 (2010). CrossRef
- K. D. Mehta, C. Das and B. D. Pandey, Hydrometallurgy, 105, 89 (2010). CrossRef
- A. J. Balmforth and A. Thomson, Biochem. J., 218, 113 (1984).
- K. E. Hammel, M. D. Mozuch, K. A. Jr. Jensen and P. J. Kersten, Biochemistry, 33, 13349 (1994). CrossRef
- H. Pedersen, C. Gem and J. Nielsen, J. Mol. Gen. Genet., 263, 281 (2000). CrossRef
- H. Pedersen, B. Christensen, C. Hjort and J. Nielsen, Metab. Eng., 2, 34 (2000). CrossRef
- G. J.G. Ruijter, P. J. I. van de Vondervoort and J. Visser, J. Microbiol., 145, 2569 (1999).
- C. Chen, Q. Sun, B. Narayanan, D. L. Nuss and O. Herzberg, J. Biol. Chem., 285(34), 26685 (2010). CrossRef
- L. B. Sukla and R. P. Das, Trans. Indian Inst. Met., 40, 351 (1987).
- S. Ilyas, R. Chi, H. N. Bhatti, I. A. Bhatti and M. A. Ghauri, Bioprocess Biosyst. Eng., 35, 433 (2012). CrossRef
- S. Mohapatra, C. Sengupta, B. D. Nayak, L. B. Sukla and B. K. Mishra, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 25(5), 1070 (2008). CrossRef
- S.K. Behera, P. P. Panda, S. Singh, N. Pradhan, L. B. Sukla and B. K. Mishra, Int. Biodeter. Biodegr., 65, 1035 (2011). CrossRef
- H. Lenz, P. Wunderwald and H. Eggerer, Eur. J. Biochem., 65, 225 (1976). CrossRef
- M. Dubois, K. Gillies, Y. Hamilton, P. Roborts and F. Smith, Anal. Chem., 28, 350 (1956). CrossRef
- S. Mohapatra, S. Bohidar, N. Pradhan, R. N. Kar and L. B. Sukla, Hydrometallurgy, 85, 1 (2007). CrossRef
- Y. Han, H. Joosten, W. Niu, Z. Zhao, P. S. Mariano, M. McCalman, J.V. Kan, P. J Schaap and D. D. Mariano, J. Biol. Chem., 282(13), 9581 (2007). CrossRef
- Recovery of nickel from chromite overburden, Sukinda using Aspergillus niger supplemented with manganese
Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 392-399
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Aspergillus niger
- Chromite Overburden
- Oxalic Acid
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Minerals & Materials Technology (CSIR), Bhubeneswar, 751 013, India
- 2. Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 751 004, India