Biomimetic sequestration of carbon dioxide using an enzyme extracted from oyster shell
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Carbon dioxide sequestration activity was compared and evaluated using bovine carbonic anhydrase (BCA), and a water soluble protein extract derived from hemocytes from diseased shell (HDS). Para-nitrophenyl acetate (p-NPA) was used to measure the reaction rate. The k cat /K m values obtained from the Lineweaver-Burk and Michaelis-Menten equations were 230.7M−1s−1 for BCA and 194.1M−s− for HDS. Without a biocatalyst, CaCO3 production took 15 seconds on average, while it took 5 seconds on average when BCA or HDS were present, indicating an approximately 3-fold enhancement of CaCO3 production rate by the biocatalysts. The biocatalytic hydration of CO2 and its precipitation as CaCO3 in the presence of biocatalysts were investigated.
- Goddard Space Flight Center 207711: pp. 286
- B. Metz, O. Davidson, H. de Coninck, M. Loos and L. Meyer, IPCC Special Report on Carbon Capture and Storage (2005).
- V. Ramanathan, Bulletin of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 36 (2006).
- OECD/ IEA, Energy Technology Perspectives (2008).
- Saha, A. K., Biswas, A. K., Bandyopadhyayc, S. S. (1999) Sep. Purif. Technol. 15: pp. 101 CrossRef
- Bishnoi, S., Rochelle, G. T. (2000) Chem. Eng. Sci. 55: pp. 5531 CrossRef
- Ruihong, Z., Fen, G., Yongqi, H., Huanqi, Z. (2006) Micropor. Mesopor. Mater. 93: pp. 212 CrossRef
- Park, Y.W., Baek, I. H., Park, S. D., Lee, J.W., Park, S. J. (2007) Korean Chem. Eng. Res. 45: pp. 573
- Hwang, Y. D., Shin, H.Y., Kwak, H. H., Bae, S.Y. (2006) Korean Chem. Eng. Res. 44: pp. 588
- S. G. Bishnoi and T. Rochelle, AIChE J., 48 (2002).
- Aineto, M., Acosta, A., Rincon, J. M., Romero, M. (2006) Fuel 85: pp. 2352 CrossRef
- Sullivan, B. P., Krist, K., Guard, H. E. (1993) Electrical and electrocatalytic reactions of carbon dioxide. Elsevier, New York
- Ho, C., Strurevant, J. M. (1963) J. Biol. Chem. 238: pp. 1
- Khalifah, R. C. (1971) J. Biol. Chem. 246: pp. 2561
- M. Parissa, A. Koorosh and M. Nader, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 46, 921 (2007).
- Bond, G. M., Stringer, J., Brandvold, D. K., Simsek, A. F., Medina, M. G., Egeland, G. (2001) Energy Fuels 15: pp. 309 CrossRef
- Lee, S.W., Choi, C. S. (2007) Cryst. Growth Des. 7: pp. 1463 CrossRef
- Vinoba, M., Kim, D. H., Lim, K. S., Jeong, S.K., Lee, S.W., Alagar, M. (2011) Energy Fuels 25: pp. 438 CrossRef
- Parissa, M., Koorosh, A., Nader, M. (2007) Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 46: pp. 921 CrossRef
- Berman, A., Addadi, L., Weiner, S. (1988) Nature 331: pp. 546 CrossRef
- Ray, B. (1977) Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 33: pp. 1439 CrossRef
- Biomimetic sequestration of carbon dioxide using an enzyme extracted from oyster shell
Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 28, Issue 10 , pp 2081-2085
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Carbon Dioxide
- Bovine Carbonic Anhydrase
- Hemocytes from Diseased Shell
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Korea University, Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, 136-701, Korea
- 2. Korea Institute of Energy Research, 71-2, Jang-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-343, Korea