Design considerations and economics of different shaped surface aeration tanks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper deals with the design considerations of surface aeration tanks on two basic issues of oxygen transfer coefficient and power requirements for the surface aeration system. Earlier developed simulation equations for simulating the oxygen transfer coefficient with theoretical power per unit volume have been verified by conducting experiments in geometrically similar but differently shaped and sized square tanks, rectangular tanks of length to width ratio (L/W) of 1.5 and 2 as well as circular tanks. Based on the experimental investigations, new simulation criteria to simulate actual power per unit volume have been proposed. Based on such design considerations, it has been demonstrated that it is economical (in terms of energy saving) to use smaller tanks rather than using a bigger tank to aerate the same volume of water for any shape of tanks. Among the various shapes studied, it has been found that circular tanks are more energy efficient than any other shape.
- Hu, W. S., Meier, J., Wang, D. I. C. (1986) Biotechnol. Bioeng. 27: pp. 122 CrossRef
- Gilbertson, J.A., Sen, A., Behie, L.A., Kallos, M.K. (2006) Biotechnol. Bioeng. 94: pp. 783 CrossRef
- Rao, A. R. K. (1999) J. Environ. Engg. 125: pp. 215 CrossRef
- Saravanan, K., Joshi, J.B. (1996) Can. J. Chem. Eng. 74: pp. 16
- Rao, A. R. K., Laxmi, B. V. B., Narasiah, K. S. (2004) Water Qual. Res. J. Canada 39: pp. 273
- Rao, A. R. K., Kumar, B., Patel, A. K. (2007) Water Qual. Res. J. Canada 42: pp. 26
- King, R. L., Hiller, R. A., Tatterson, G. B. (1988) AIChE J. 34: pp. 506 CrossRef
- Nienow, A.W., Ulbrecht, J. J. (1985) Mixing of liquids by mechanical agitation. Gordon and Breach Sci. Publications, New York
- S. L. Udaya, K. V. N. S. Sharma and A.R.K. Rao, Proc. Symp. on Environmental Hydraulics, University of Honkong, 1577 (1991).
- McWhirter, J.R., Chern, J., Hutter, J.C. (1995) Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 34: pp. 2644 CrossRef
- Mahendraker, V., Mavinic, D. S., Hall, J.K. (2005) J. Environ. Engg. 131: pp. 692 CrossRef
- Deng, B., Kim, C. N. (2003) Korean J. Chem. Eng. 20: pp. 685 CrossRef
- Kim, I. Y., Kim, S. D. (1990) Korean J. Chem. Eng. 7: pp. 47 CrossRef
- Lewis, W.K., Whitman, W.G. (1924) Ind. Eng. Chem. 16: pp. 1215 CrossRef
- Banks, R.B., Sally, L. R., Polprasert, C. (1983) J. Environ. Engg. 109: pp. 232 CrossRef
- Tzeng, C. J., Iranpour, R., Stenstrom, M.K. (2003) J. Environ. Engrg. 129: pp. 402 CrossRef
- WEF and ASCE Manual of practice for water pollution control, Aeration a waste water treatment process, Water Environment Federation, Alexandria, Va., and ASCE, New York (1988).
- Waste water engineering: Treatment disposal and reuse. Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi
- Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 16th Edition, American Public Health Association, AWWA, WCPA, Washington, D.C. (1985).
- Roeleveld, P. J., Loosdrecht, M.C.M. (2002) Loosdrecht. Water Sci. Technol. 45: pp. 77
- Cook, A.L., Carr, C. C. (1947) Elements of electrical engineering. Wiley, New York
- P.C. Krause, O. Wasynczuk and S.D. Sudhoff, Analysis of electric machinery and drive systems, Wiley-IEEE Press (2002).
- Vasel, J. L. (1988) Contribution á l’étude des transferts d’oxygène en gestion des eaux. Fondation Universitaire Luxemourgeoise, Luxembourg, Arlon
- Hwang, H. J., Stenstrom, M. K. (1985) J. WPCF 57: pp. 12
- G.M. Wesner, L. J. Ewing, T. S. Lineck and D. J. Hinrichs, Energy conservation in municipal wastewater treatment, EPA-430/9-77-01 1, NTIS No. PB81-165391, U.S. EPA Report, Washington, DC (1977).
- Vogel, G.H. (2006) Process development: From the initial idea to the chemical production plant. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim
- Design considerations and economics of different shaped surface aeration tanks
Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 25, Issue 6 , pp 1338-1343
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Oxygen Transfer
- Power Per Unit Volume Parameter
- Surface Aerators
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Industry Sectors