Analysis of the clinicopathologic features and prognosis in triple-negative breast cancer
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To investigate the clinical and pathological features, as well as prognosis in triple-negative breast cancer patients.
A total of 509 cases of operable breast cancer from January, 2002 to June, 2002 treated in the Cancer Hospital of Tianjin Medical University were analyzed. The Her-2, ER and PR status was determined using immunohistochemistry. Of the total cases, one group was identified as triple negative breast cancer, ie defined as ER, PR and Her-2 negative. The other group was non-triple-negative breast cancer. Clinicopathologic features of the groups were compared and 5-year disease-free survival (DFS) analyzed by the Kaplan-Meier method.
Of the total cases, 21.4% (109/509) of cases were found to be triple-negative while 78.6% (400/509) were non-triple-negative. The triple negative group had higher incidence rates than the non-triple-negative group of the medullary type and Grade III tumors (P < 0.05). There was no other difference in the clinicopathologic features between the 2 groups. From follow-up to June, 2007, 21.1% (23/109) of the triple-negative group and 12.7% (51/400) of the non-triple negative group had a local recurrence or distant metastasis, resulting in a significant difference (P < 0.05). In the triple-negative group and non-triple-negative group, 5-year DFS were 78.9% and 87.3% respectively. There was a statistically significant difference between the 2 groups (P = 0.031).
Compared with non-triple-negative breast cancer, triple-negative breast cancer patients have an increased likehood of a local recurrence or distant metastasis and a poorer prognosis.
- Colleoni M, Gelber S, Goldhirsch A, et al. Tamoxifen after adjuvant chemotherapy for premenopausal women with lymph node-positive breast cancer: International Breast Cancer Study Group Trial 13–93. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 1332–1341. CrossRef
- Pritchard KI, Shepherd LE, O’Malley FP, et al. HER2 and responsiveness of breast cancer to adjuvant chemotherapy. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 2103–2111. CrossRef
- Piccart-Gebhart MJ, Procter M, Leyland-Jones B, et al. Trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1659–1672. CrossRef
- Sorlie T, Tibshirani R, Parker J, et al. Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 8418–8423. CrossRef
- Nielsen TO, Hsu FD, Jensen K, et al. Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 5367–5374. CrossRef
- Siziopikou KP and Cobleigh M. The basal subtype of breast carcinomas may represent the group of breast tumors that could benefit from EGFR-targeted therapies. Breast 2007; 16: 104–107. CrossRef
- Dent R, Trudeau M, Pritchard KI, et al. Triple-negative breast cancer: clinical features and patterns of recurrence. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 4429–4434. CrossRef
- Haffty BG, Yang Q, Reiss M, et al. Locoregional relapse and distant metastasis in conservatively managed triple negative early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5652–5657. CrossRef
- Rakha EA, El-Sayed ME, Green AR, et al. Prognostic markers in triple-negative breast cancer. Cancer 2007; 109: 25–32. CrossRef
- Li MQ, Li JR, Feng ZG, et al. Correlation between expression of BI-1 gene and receptors for estrogen and progesterone and its significance in breast cancer. Zhongguo Zhong Liu Lin Chuang 2007; 34: 868–870 (Chinese).
- Shi YR, Qu JJ, Li XZ, et al. Expression of MUC1 and HER2 in breast cancer and the correlation with clinicopatholgic parameters. Zhongguo Zhong Liu Lin Chuang 2007; 34: 621–624 (Chinese).
- Zhang J, Sun H, Zhan ZL, et al. Investigation of the mechanism of interaction between ERβ and MAPK signal transduction pathways. Zhongguo Zhong Liu Lin Chuang 2007; 37: 1053–1057 (Chinese).
- Analysis of the clinicopathologic features and prognosis in triple-negative breast cancer
Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology
Volume 5, Issue 5 , pp 387-390
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Anti-Cancer Association
- Additional Links
- breast cancer
- triple negative
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Tianjin Third Central Hospital, Tianjin, 300170, China
- 2. Second Department of Breast Cancer, Key Laboratory for Breast Cancer Prevention and Treatment, Ministry of Education, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute & Hospital, Tianjin, 300060, China