Modeling and testing of hydrodynamic damping model for a complex-shaped remotely-operated vehicle for control
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper, numerical modeling and model testing of a complex-shaped remotely-operated vehicle (ROV) were shown. The paper emphasized the systematic modeling of hydrodynamic damping using the computational fluid dynamic software ANSYS-CFX™ on the complex-shaped ROV, a practice that is not commonly applied. For initial design and prototype testing during the developmental stage, small-scale testing using a free-decaying experiment was used to verify the theoretical models obtained from ANSYS-CFX™, Simulation results are shown to coincide with the experimental tests. The proposed method could determine the hydrodynamic damping coefficients of the ROV.
- Jalving B (1994). The NDRE-AUV flight controls system. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 194), 497–501. CrossRef
- Healey AJ, Lienard D (1993). Multivariable sliding mode control for autonomous diving and steering of unmanned underwater vehicles. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 18(3), 327–339. CrossRef
- Gomes RMF, Sousa JB, Pereira FL (2003). Modelling and control of the IES project ROV. Proceedings of European Control Conference, Cambridge, UK, 1–6.
- Antonelli G, Chiaverini S, Sarkar N, West M (2001). Adaptive control of an autonomous underwater vehicle: Experimental results on ODIN. Transactions on Control Systems Technology, IEEE.
- Fjellstad OE, Fossen TI (1994). Position and attitude tracking of AUVs: A quaternion feedback approach. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 19(4), 512–518. CrossRef
- Fossen TI (1994). Guidance and control of ocean vehicles. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Fossen TI (2002). Marine control systems; guidance, navigation and control of ships. Rigs and underwater vehicles. Marine Cybernetics.
- Goheen KR (1991). Modeling methods for underwater robotic vehicle dynamics. Journal of Robotic Systems, 8(3), 295–317. CrossRef
- An PE, Folleco A (2003). Modeling and simulation of autonomous underwater vehicles: design and implementation. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 28(2), 283–296. CrossRef
- Gomes RMF, Sousa JB, Pereira FL (2003). Modelling and control of the IES project ROV. Proceedings of European Control Conference, Cambridge, UK.
- Goodman A (1960). Experimental techniques and methods of analysis used in submerged body research. Third Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Office of Naval Research.
- Williams CD, Mackay M, Perron C, Muselet C (2000) The NRC-IMD marine dynamic test facility: A six-degree-of-freedom forced-motion test apparatus for underwater vehicle testing. International UUV Symposium, Newport, RI, 1–6.
- Jones DA, Clarke DB, Brayshaw IB (2002). The calculationof hydrodynamic coefficients for underwater vehicles. DSTO Platforms Sciences Laboratory, Fishermans Bend, Australia, Report. DSTO-TR-1329.
- Sarkar T, Sayer PG, Fraser SM (1997). A study of autonomous underwater vehicle hull forms using computational fluid dynamics. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 25(11), 1301–1313. CrossRef
- Tyagi A, Sen D (2006). Calculation of transverse hydrodynamic coefficients using computational fluid dynamic approach, Ocean Engineering, 33(5), 798–809. CrossRef
- Wilson R, Paterson E, Stern F (2006). Unsteady RANS CFD method for naval combatant in waves. Proceedings of the 22nd ONR Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Washington DC, 532–549.
- WS Atkins Consultants (2002). Best Practices Guidelines for Marine Applications of CFD, MARNET-CFD Report.
- Conte G, Zanoli SM, Scaradozzi D, Conti A (2004). Evaluation of hydrodynamics parameters of a UUV. A preliminary study, International Symposium on Control. Communications and Signal Processing, ISCCSP, Hammamet.
- MSS. Marine Systems Simulator (2010). Viewed 26.06.2011, http://www.marinecontrol.org.
- Eng YH (2007) Identification of hydrodynamic terms for underwater robotic vehicle. Master First Year Report, NTU, Robotic Research Center, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Eng YH, Lau WS, Low E, Seet GL, Chin CS (2009). A novel method to determine the hydrodynamic coefficients of an eyeball ROV. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1089, 11–22.
- Eng YH, Lau WS, Low E, Seet GL, Chin CS (2008). Estimation of the hydrodynamic coefficients of an ROV using free Decay Pendulum motion. Engineering Letters, 16(3), 326–331.
- Launder BE, Spalding DB (1974) The numerical computation of turbulent flows. Comp. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng., 3, 269–289. CrossRef
- Kim D, Choi H (2002). Laminar flow past a sphere rotating in the stream wise direction. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 461, 365–386. CrossRef
- Johnson TA, Patel VC (1999). Flow past a sphere up to a Reynolds number of 300. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 378(1), 19–70. CrossRef
- Achenbach E (1972). Experiments on the flow past spheres at very high Reynolds number. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 54, 565–575. CrossRef
- Constantinescu GS, Pacheco R, Squires, KD (2002), Detached-Eddy simulation of flow over a sphere. AIAA, Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Paper 2002-0425.
- Hoerner SF (1965). Fluid-dynamic drag: Practical information on aerodynamic drag and hydrodynamic resistance. Hoerner Fluid Dynamics, Washington.
- Prestero T (2001). Verification of a six-degree of freedom simulation model for the REMUS autonomous underwater vehicle. Master’s thesis, Mechanical and Oceanographic Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
- Ng EYK, Tan CK (1998). Viscous flow simulation around a moving projectile and URV. International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, 11, 350–362.
- Modeling and testing of hydrodynamic damping model for a complex-shaped remotely-operated vehicle for control
Journal of Marine Science and Application
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 150-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Harbin Engineering University
- Additional Links
- remotely-operated vehicle
- hydrodynamic damping
- Industry Sectors