Wet compression performance of a transonic compressor rotor at its near stall point
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In order to study the effects of wet compression on a transonic compressor, a full 3-D steady numerical simulation was carried out under varying conditions. Different injected water flow rates and droplet diameters were considered. The effect of wet compression on the shock, separated flow, pressure ratio, and efficiency was investigated. Additionally, the effect of wet compression on the tip clearance when the compressor runs in the near-stall and stall situations was emphasized. Analysis of the results shows that the range of stable operation is extended, and that the pressure ratio and inlet air flow rate are also increased at the near-stall point. In addition, it seems that there is an optimum size of the droplet diameter.
- Bhargava RK, Meher-Homji, CB, Chaker MA, Bianchi M, Melino F, Peretto A, Ingistov S (2005). Gas turbine fogging technology-a state of the art review: Part I-inlet evaporative fogging, analytical and experimental aspects. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Nevada, GT2005-68336.
- Bianchi M, Chaker M, Pascale AD, Peretto A, Spina PR (2007). CFD simulation of water injection in GT inlet duct using spray experimentally tuned data: nozzle spray simulation model and results for an application to a heavy-duty gas turbine. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, GT-2007-27361.
- Bianchi M, Melino F, Peretto A, Spina PR, Ingistov S (2007). Influence of water droplet size and temperature on wet compression. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Montreal, GT2007-27458.
- Chaker M, Meher-Homji CB (2008). Gas turbine power augmentation-parametric study relating to fog droplet size and its influence on evaporative efficiency. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Berlin, GT-2008-51476.
- Chaker M, Meher-Homji CB, Mee III, TR (2003). Inlet fogging of gas turbine engines-experimental and analytical investigations on impaction pin fog nozzle behavior. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Atlanta, GT-2003-38801.
- Day IJ, Williams JC, Freeman C (2005). Rain ingestion in axial flow compressors at part speed. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Nevada, GT2005-68582.
- Fabbrizzi M, Cerretelli C, Medico FD, D’Orazio M (2009). An experimental investigation of a single stage wet gas centrifugal compressor. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Orlando, GT-2009-59548.
- Furukawa M, Inoue M, Saiki K, Yamada K (1998). The role of tip leakage vortex break down in compressor rotor aerodynamics. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, 98-GT-239.
- Hartel C, Pfeiffer P (2003). Model analysis of high-fogging effects on the work of compression. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, GT 2003-38117.
- Hofman W, Ballmann J (2002). Tip clearance vortex development and shock-vortex-interaction in a transonic axial compressor rotor. Proceedings of AIAA, Massachusetts, 2002-0083.
- Li Minghong, Zheng Qun. (2004). Wet compression system stability analysis: part I-wet compression Moore Greitzer transient model. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Vienna, GT-2004-54018.
- Marz J, Hah C, Neise W (2001). An experimental and numerical investigation into the mechanisms of rotating instability. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, GT-0536.
- Moore RD (1978). Design and overall performance of four highly loaded, high-Speed inlet stages for an advanced high-pressure-ratio core compressor. NASA Technical Report, NASA-TP-1337.
- Shao Yan, Zheng Qun, Zhang Yinyong (2006). Numerical simulation of aerodynamic performances of wet compression compressor cascade. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Barcelona, GT-2006-91125.
- Shibata T, Takahashi Y, Hatamiya S (2008). Inlet air cooling with overspray applied to a two-stage centrifugal compressor. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Berlin, GT-2008-50893.
- Song Yanping, Chen Fu, Yang Jun, Wang, Zhongqi (2005). A numerical investigation of boundary layer suction in compound lean compressor cascades. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Nevada, GT2005-68441.
- Sun Lanxin, Zheng Qun (2008). The effects of wet compression on the separated flow in a compressor stage. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Berlin, GT-2008-50920.
- Sven-Jürgen H, Roland M, Wolfgang H (2009). Stability enhancement of a multistage compressor by air injection. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Orlando, GT2009-59868.
- Ulrichs E, Joos F (2006). Experimental investigations of the influence of water droplets in compressor cascades. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Barcelona, GT-2006-90411.
- Wang Yunhui, Liu Min, Sun Yufeng, Liu Ziheng (2003). The analysis of post-stall transients of compression system with wet compression. Journal of Engineering for Thermal Energy and Power, 18(103), 67–70.
- Wang Yunhui, Wang Guoxue, Li Shuying, Sun Yufeng (2002). Analysis on effects of wet compression on surge margin of a small gas turbine. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, IJPGC2002-26042.
- Zheng Qun, Li Minghong (2004). Wet compression system stability analysis: Part II-simulations and bifurcation analysis. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Vienna, GT-2004-54020.
- Wet compression performance of a transonic compressor rotor at its near stall point
Journal of Marine Science and Application
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 49-62
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Harbin Engineering University
- Additional Links
- wet compression
- two-phase flow
- stall boundary
- transonic compressor
- Industry Sectors