Fault detection and diagnosis of a gearbox in marine propulsion systems using bispectrum analysis and artificial neural networks
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A marine propulsion system is a very complicated system composed of many mechanical components. As a result, the vibration signal of a gearbox in the system is strongly coupled with the vibration signatures of other components including a diesel engine and main shaft. It is therefore imperative to assess the coupling effect on diagnostic reliability in the process of gear fault diagnosis. For this reason, a fault detection and diagnosis method based on bispectrum analysis and artificial neural networks (ANNs) was proposed for the gearbox with consideration given to the impact of the other components in marine propulsion systems. To monitor the gear conditions, the bispectrum analysis was first employed to detect gear faults. The amplitude-frequency plots containing gear characteristic signals were then attained based on the bispectrum technique, which could be regarded as an index actualizing forepart gear faults diagnosis. Both the back propagation neural network (BPNN) and the radial-basis function neural network (RBFNN) were applied to identify the states of the gearbox. The numeric and experimental test results show the bispectral patterns of varying gear fault severities are different so that distinct fault features of the vibrant signal of a marine gearbox can be extracted effectively using the bispectrum, and the ANN classification method has achieved high detection accuracy. Hence, the proposed diagnostic techniques have the capability of diagnosing marine gear faults in the earlier phases, and thus have application importance.
- Baydar N, Ball A (2001). A comparative study of acoustic and vibration signals in detection of gear failures using Wigner-Ville distributions. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 15(6), 1091–1107. CrossRef
- Cheng Junsheng, Yang Yu, Yu Dejie (2010). The envelope order spectrum based on generalized demodulation time-frequency analysis and its application to gear fault diagnosis. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 24(2), 508–521. CrossRef
- Cheng Junsheng, Yu Dejie, Yang Yu (2008). A fault diagnosis approach for gears based on IMF AR model and SVM. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2008, 1–7. CrossRef
- Fu Lihui, Li Hui, Wang Yaning (2009). Application of Bi-cepstrum analysis to gear fault detection and diagnosis. 2009 International Conference on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation, Hunan, China, 590–593.
- Huang Jinying, Bi Shihua, Pan Hongxia, Yang Xiwang (2006). The research of higher-order cumulant spectrum for vibration signals of gearbox. IEEE International Conference on Information Acquisition, Shandong, China, 1395–1399.
- Huang Liyu, Zhao Jianxun, Singare S, Wang Jue, Wang Yuemin (2007). Discrimination of cerebral ischemic states using bispectrum analysis of EEG and artificial neural network. Medical Engineering & Physics, 29(1), 1–7. CrossRef
- Lin J, Zuo MJ (2003). Gearbox fault diagnosis using adaptive wavelet filter. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 17(6), 1259–1269. CrossRef
- Liu Yibing, Yan Keguo, Zhou Yanbing, Xu hong (2008). Bispectral analysis for diagnosis of gear pitting fault. 7th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Chongqing, China, 6844–6846.
- Xiao Yunkui, Mei Jianmin, Zeng Ruili, Zhao Huimin, Tang Li, Huang Huafei (2009). Mechanical fault diagnose of diesel engine based on bispectrum and support vector machines. IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology, Beijing, China, 425–429.
- Yan Xinping, Zhao Chunhua, Lu Zhiyong, Zhou Xincong, Xiao Hanliang (2005). A study of information technology used in oil monitoring. Tribology International, 38(10), 879–886. CrossRef
- Yang D, Stronach A, MacConnell P (2002). Third-order spectral techniques for the diagnosis of motor bearing condition using artificial neural networks. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 16(2–3), 391–411. CrossRef
- Yuan Chengqing, Peng Zhongxiao, Yan Xinping (2005). Surface characterisation using wavelet theory and confocal laser scanning microscopy. Journal of Tribology, ASME, 127(2), 394–404. CrossRef
- Yuan Chengqing, Peng Zhongxiao, Yan Xinping, Zhou Xincong (2008). Surface roughness evolutions in sliding wear process. Wear, 265(3–4), 341–348. CrossRef
- Yuan Chengqing, Yan Xinping, Peng Zhongxiao (2007). Prediction of surface features of wear components based on surface characteristics of wear debris. Wear, 263(7–12), 1513–1517. CrossRef
- Zhang Yuping (2006). Order bispectrum based gearbox fault diagnosis during speed-up process. 6th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Dalian, China, 5526–5529.
- Zheng H, Li Z, Chen X (2002). Gear fault diagnosis based on continuous wavelet transform. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 16(2–3), 447–457. CrossRef
- Zhou Guihong, Zuo Chuncheng, Wang Jiazhong, Liu Shuxia (2007). Gearbox fault diagnosis based on wavelet-AR model. 6th International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Hong Kong, 1061–1065.
- Fault detection and diagnosis of a gearbox in marine propulsion systems using bispectrum analysis and artificial neural networks
Journal of Marine Science and Application
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 17-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Harbin Engineering University
- Additional Links
- marine propulsion system
- fault diagnosis
- vibration analysis
- artificial neural networks
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Reliability Engineering Institute, School of Energy and Power Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan, 430063, China
- 2. Key Lab. of Marine Power Eng. and Tech. (Ministry of Transport), Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan, 430063, China
- 3. School of Engineering and Physical Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Qld, 4811, Australia