Effect of bottom undulation on the waves generated due to rolling of a plate
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present paper, the effect of a small bottom undulation of the sea bed in the form of periodic bed form on the surface waves generated due to a rolling oscillation of a vertical barrier either partially immersed or completely submerged in water of non uniform finite depth is investigated. A simplified perturbation technique involving a non dimensional parameter characterizing the smallness of the bottom deformation is applied to reduce the given boundary value problem to two independent boundary value problems upto first order. The first boundary value problem corresponds to the problem of water wave generation due to rolling oscillation of a vertical barrier either partially immersed or completely submerged in water of uniform finite depth. This is a well known problem whose solution is available in the literature. From the second boundary value problem, the first order correction to the wave amplitude at infinity is evaluated in terms of the shape function characterizing the bottom undulation, by employing Green’s integral theorem. For a patch of sinusoidal ripples at the sea bottom, the first order correction to the wave amplitude at infinity for both the configuration of the barrier is then evaluated numerically and illustrated graphically for various values of the wave number. It is observed that resonant interaction of the wave generated, with the sinusoidal bottom undulation occurs when the ratio of twice the wavelength of the sinusoidal ripple to the wave length of waves generated, approaches unity. Also it is found that the resonance increases as the length of the barrier increases.
- Banerjea S, Dolai DP, Mandal BN (1996). On waves due to rolling of a ship in water of finite depth. Archive of Applied Mechanics, 67, 35–43. CrossRef
- Banerjea S, Dolai DP, Mandal BN (1997). On waves due to rolling of a plate submerged in finite depth water. Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 2(2), 285–297.
- Banerjea S, Mandal BN (1992). On waves due to rolling of a vertical plate. Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 23(10), 753–761.
- Belibassakis KA, Athanassoulis GA (2005). A coupled mode model for hydroelastic analysis of large floating bodies over variable bathymetry regions. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 531, 221–249. CrossRef
- Davies AG (1982). The reflection of wave energy by undulations on the sea bed. Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans, 6, 121–123. CrossRef
- Davies AG, Heathershaw AD (1984). Surface wave propagation over sinusoidal varying topography. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 144, 419–443. CrossRef
- Evans DV (1970). Diffraction of surface waves by a submerged vertical plate. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 40, 433–451. CrossRef
- Fitz-Gerald GF (1976). The reflection of plane gravity waves travelling in water of variable depth. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London, 34, 49–89.
- Mandal BN, De S (2007). Water wave scattering by bottom undulations in the presence of a thin submerged vertical plate. International Journal of Applied Mathematics & Engineering Science, 1(2), 193–205.
- Mandal BN, Gayen R (2006). Water wave scattering by bottom undulation in the presence of a thin partially immersed barrier. Applied Ocean Research, 28, 113–119. CrossRef
- Parsons NF, Martin PA (1992). Scattering of water waves by submerged plates using hypersingular integral equations. Applied Ocean Research, 14, 313–321. CrossRef
- Parsons NF, Martin PA (1994). Scattering of water waves by submerged curved plates and by surface piercing flat plates. Applied Ocean Research, 16, 129–139. CrossRef
- Roseau M (1976). Asymptotic wave theory. North Holland, Amsterdam, 311–347.
- Thorne RC (1953). Multipole expansions in the theory of surface waves. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, 49, 707–716. CrossRef
- Ursell F (1948). On waves due to rolling of a ship. Quarterly Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 1, 246–252. CrossRef
- Wang CD, Meylan MH (2002). The linear wave response of a floating thin plate on water of variable depth. Applied Ocean Research, 24, 163–174. CrossRef
- Watanabe E, Utsunomiya T, Wang CM (2004). Hydroelastic analysis of pontoon type VLFS: a literature survey. Engineering Structure, 26, 245–256. CrossRef
- Effect of bottom undulation on the waves generated due to rolling of a plate
Journal of Marine Science and Application
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 7-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Harbin Engineering University
- Additional Links
- bottom undulation
- rolling oscillation
- partially immersed barrier
- submerged plate
- Industry Sectors