A new seismic isolation system and its feasibility study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper introduces a new seismic isolation system called a periodic foundation (PF), where inclusions are periodically arranged. The PF is different from traditional base isolation in that it causes a fundamental frequency shift in the structure, thus reducing its response and generating a frequency gap. If the frequency contents of a seismic wave fall into the gap, it can not propagate in the foundation. Thus, it will exert no influence on the structure above. A systematic study of the band of frequency gap for a 2D PF is conducted. The influence of physical and geometrical parameters such as density and elastic modulus as well as filling fraction of the PF and its materials on the band of frequency gap are investigated, and a design with a frequency gap as low as 2.49–3.72 Hz is achieved. This band of frequency gap corresponds well to the design spectra in earthquake engineering. Numerical simulations of a six-story frame structure with different foundations demonstrate that a proposed PF can greatly reduce the seismic response of an isolated structure. This investigation shows that PFs have great potential in future applications of seismic isolation technology.
- Bao H, Xu LH, Xu SP and Zhou Y (2005), “Influence of Soil-structure Dynamic Interaction on Seismic Responses of Base-isolation,” Industrial Construction, 35(8):75–81.
- Cheong YK, Gorishnyy T and Thomas EL (2007), “Phononic Band Structures of Two-dimensional Hypersonic Phononic Crystals,” Proceedings of the COMSOL Conference 2007, Boston.
- Chopra AK (2005), Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
- Goffaux C, Sanchez-Dehesa J and Yeyali AL (2002), “Evidence of Fano-like Interference Phenomena in Locally Resonant Materials,” Physical Review Letters, 88(22): 55021–55024 CrossRef
- Hirsekorn M (2004), “Small-size Sonic Crystals with Strong Attenuation Bands in the Audible Frequency Range,” Applied Physics Letters, 84(17): 3364–3366. CrossRef
- Hirsekorn M, Delsanto PP, Leung AC and Matic P (2006), “Elastic Wave Propagation in Locally Resonant Sonic Material: Comparison between Local Interaction Simulation Approach and Modal Analysis,” Journal of Applied Physics, 99(124912): 1–8.
- Kalinowski AJ (2007), “Acoustic Transparency of Nonhomogeneous Plates (with Repeating Inclusions) Using Periodic Structures Methodology,” Proceedings of the COMSOL Conference 2007, Boston
- Kittel C (2002), Introduction to Solid State Physics, Singapore: John Wiley & Sons (Asia) Pte Ltd.
- Larabi H, Pennec Y, Djafari-Rouhani B and Vasseur JO (2007), “Locally Resonant Phononic Crystals with Multilayers Cylindrical Inclusions,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 92: 012112. CrossRef
- Liu ZY, Chan CT and Sheng P (2005), “Analytic Model of Phononic Crystals with Local Resonance,” Physical Review B, 71(014103): 1–8.
- Liu ZY, Zhang XX, Mao YW, Zhu YY, Yang ZY, Chan CT and Sheng P (2000), “Locally Resonant Sonic Materials,” Science, 289: 1734–1736. CrossRef
- Mao LJ and Li AQ (2005), “The Simplified Models and Their Precision for Analysis of Multi-story Sliding Isolated Structures,” Journal of Building Structures, 26(2): 117–123. (in Chinese)
- Naeim F and Kelly JM (1999), Design of Seismic Isolated Structures: From Theory to Practice, New York: John Wiley. CrossRef
- Ordonez D, Foti D and Bozzo L (2002), “Comparative Study of the Inelastic Response of Base Isolated Buildings,” Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 32(1): 151–164. CrossRef
- Paz M (1997), Structural Dynamics: Theory and Computation, New York: Chapman & Hall. CrossRef
- Wang G, Yu DL, Wen JH, Liu YZ and Wen XS (2004), “One-dimensional Phononic Crystals with Locally Resonant Structures,” Physics Letters A, 327: 512–521. CrossRef
- Xiao W, Zeng GW and Cheng YS (2006), “Flexural Vibration Band Gaps in A Thin Plate Containing A Periodic Array of Hemmed Discs,” Applied Acoustics, 69: 255–261. CrossRef
- Yang L, Yan WM, Zhou XY and Chang YP (2006), “Shaking Table Test and Comparison of Rubber Bearing Isolation System with Soft Landing Protection,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 26(3): 210–214. (in Chinese)
- Zhao HG, Liu YZ, Wen JH and Han XY (2005), “Effects of Mass Density and Elastic Modulus of Core Material on the Gap of Two-dimensional Phononic Crystals with Locally Resonant Structure,” Journal of Materials Science & Engineering, 23(5): 524–527. (in Chinese)
- A new seismic isolation system and its feasibility study
Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 75-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Institute of Engineering Mechanics, China Earthquake Administration
- Additional Links
- seismic isolation
- periodic foundation
- band of frequency gap