The complete sequence of mitochondrial COII gene of Fenneropenaeus chinensis and its applicability as a marker for phylogenetic analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The complete mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase subunit II (COII) gene of Penaeinae shrimp Fenneropenaeus chinensis was cloned and sequenced. The gene is 688 bp in length and codes for 229 amino acids. It shows 83.2%, 87.0% and 83.8% sequence similarity to Marsupenaeus japonicus, Penaeus monodon and Farfantepenaeus notialis, respectively. The A+T content of the whole gene and that at the third position of codons are 64.7% and 78.2%, respectively. The phylogenetic relationship between F. chinensis and three other species representing genera Farfanatepenaeus, Marsupenaeus and Penaeus was analyzed. Results showed that the genetic distances among the four taxa ranged from 0.144 0 to 0.200 5, exceeding those estimated with COI and partial 16S rRNA gene sequences among Marsupenaeus, Litopenaeus and Melicertus, and being therefore larger than the value among subgenera. It has been suggested that the COII gene has a faster evolutionary rate than that of the COI gene and partial 16S rRNA gene and could be used for phylogenetic analysis at genus or species level. The results of the present study indicated that Farfantepenaeus, Fenneropenaeus, Marsupenaeus and Penaeus are at a higher phylogenetic level than subgenus, which supports the opinion of the elevation of phylogenetic status of the four subgenera to genus level.
- Baldwin, J. D., A. L. Bass, B. W. Bowen, and W. H. Clark Jr., 1998. Molecular phylogeny and biogeography of the marine shrimp Penaeus. Mol. Phys. Evo., 10(3): 399–407. CrossRef
- Bo, G. R., 2003. Advance in study on mitochondrial DNA coded cytochrome oxidase gene. Foreign Med. Mol. Biol., 25(6): 354–357.
- Bu, Y., and Z. M. Zheng, 2005. Roles and status of cytochrome oxidase II gene in the research of insect molecular systematics. Chin. Bull. Entomol., 42(1): 18–22.
- Burukovsky, R. N., 1997. Selection of a type specimen for Farfantepenaeus Burukovsky, 1972 (Crustacea: Decapoda: Penaeidae). Proc. Boil. Soc. Wash., 110(1): 154.
- Clary, D. O., J. M. Goddard, S. C. Martin, C. M. Fauron, and D. R. Wolstenholme, 1982. Drosophila mitochondrial DNA: a novel gene order. Nucleic Acids Res. 10(21); 6619–6637. CrossRef
- Crozier, R. H., and Y. C. Crozier, 1993. The mitochondrial genome of the honeybee Apis mellifera: complete sequence and genome organization. Genet., 133: 97–117.
- Farfante, P. I., 1969. Western Atlantic shrimps of the Genus Penaeus. Fish. Bull., 67(3): 461–591.
- Farfante, P. I., and Kensley, 1997. Penaeoid and sergestoid shrimps and prawns of the world. Key and diagnoses for the families and genera. Memoires du Museum National d’Histoire naturelle, tome 175 Zoologie, 1–233.
- Flook, P. K., C. H. Rowell, and G. Gellissen, 1995. The sequence, organization, and evolution of the Locustan migratoria mitochondrial genome. J. Mol. Evol., 41(6): 928–941. CrossRef
- Harrison, J. S., 2004. Evolution, biogeography, and the utility of mitochondrial 16s and COI genes in phylogenetic analysis of the crab genus Austinixa (Decapoda: Pinnotheridae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol., 30: 743–754. CrossRef
- Jiang, H. H., and Y. Xie, 2001. Advanced molecular biological study in cytochrome oxidase. Foreign Med. Sci. Sect. Pathophysiol. Clin. Med., 21(1): 20–22.
- Kate, W., C. Valma, B. Elizabeth, and B. John, 2000. The complete sequence of the mitochondrial genome of the Crustacean Penaeus monodon: are Malacostracan Crustaceans more closely related to insects than to Branchiopods? Molecul. Biol. Evol., 17(6): 863–874.
- Kimura, M., 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rate of base substitutions through comparative study of nucleotide sequences. J. Molecul. Evol., 16: 111–120. CrossRef
- Lavery, S., T. Y. Chan, Y. K. Tam, and K. H. Chu, 2004. Phylogenetic relationships and evolutionary history of the shrimp genus Penaeus s.l. derived from mitochondrial DNA. Mol. Phy. Evo., 31: 39–49. CrossRef
- Liu, R. Y., 2003. On the unification of the scientific name of penaeid shrimp (Crustacea Decapoda). T. Chin. Crustacean Soc., 4: 106–124.
- Morrison, C. L., R. Rios, and J. E. Duffy, 2004. Phylogenetic evidence for an ancient rapid radiation of Caribbean sponge-dwelling snapping shrimps (Synalpheus). Mol. Phy. Evo., 30: 563–581. CrossRef
- Peterson, M. A., S. Dobler, J. Holland, L. Tantalo, and S. Locke, 2001. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Amer., 94(1): 1–9. CrossRef
- Quan, J. X., 2000. Genetic Diversity in Liza haematocheila and Penaeus chinensis and Phylogenetic Relationships of 12 Penaeiodean Shrimp Species. Doctor thesis of Ocean University of China, 95 pp.
- Rodrigo, M., D. R. Alex, M. Norman, and F. D’incao, 2001, Molecular phylogeny of Western Atlantic Farfantepenaeus and Litopenaeus shrimp based on mitochondrial 16s partial sequences. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol., 18(1): 66–73. CrossRef
- Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch, and T. Manaiatis, 1989. Molecular Cloning. 2nd edition. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, 1659pp.
- Simon, C., F. Frati, A. Beckenbach, B. Crespi, H. Liu, et al., 1994. Evolution, weighting, and phylogenetic utility of mitochondrial gene sequences and a compilation of conserved polymerase chain reaction primers. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am., 87(6): 651–701.
- Sun, H. Y., K. Y. Zhou, M. R. Gong, and Z. Z. Tong, 2001. The complete sequence of the mitochondrial COII gene of Eriocheir japonica sinensis (Crustacea: Malacostraca: Decapoda). J. Nanjing Univ. (natural science), 24(4): 88–92.
- Tirmitzi, N. M., 1971. Marsupenaues, a new subgenus of Penaeus Fabricius, 1798 (Decapoda Natantia). Pakistan J. Zool., 3(2): 193–194.
- Williams, S. T., and N. Knowlton, 2001. Mitochondrial pseudogenes are pervasive and often insidious in the snapping shrimp genus Alpheus. Mol. Biol. Evol., 18: 1 484–1 493.
- Yamauchi, M. M., M. U. Miya, and M. Nishida, 2003. Complete mitochondrial DNA sequence of the swimming crab, Portunus trituberculatus (Crustacea: Decapoda: Brachyura). Gene, 311: 129–135. CrossRef
- The complete sequence of mitochondrial COII gene of Fenneropenaeus chinensis and its applicability as a marker for phylogenetic analysis
Journal of Ocean University of China
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 187-192
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- Fenneropenaeus chinensis
- COII gene
- phylogenetic analysis
- Industry Sectors