Some extensions of the Poincaré–Birkhoff theorem
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We represent several results on the existence of fixed points of the arbitrary topological annulus maps. The celebrated boundary twist condition of the Poincaré–Birkhoff theorem is replaced by its essentially weakest analogue for two points in the annulus. We do not use area-preserving and homeomorphic maps. We consider continuous maps satisfying some modification of T. Ding’s bend condition and a special monotonicity condition. We also reject the often used 2π-periodicity angle displacement condition. Besides, we obtain the description of the fixed points set structure for continuously differentiable maps.
- Birkhoff G.D.: An extension of Poincaré’s last geometric theorem. Acta Math. 47, 297–311 (1926) CrossRef
- Birkhoff G. D.: Proof of Poincaré’s geometric theorem. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 14, 14–22 (1913)
- Brown M., Neumann W. D.: Proof of the Poincaré-Birkhoff fixed point theorem. Michigan Math. J. 24, 21–31 (1977) CrossRef
- Carter P. H.: An improvement of the Poincaré-Birkhoff fixed point theorem. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 269, 285–299 (1982)
- Dalbono F., Rebelo C.: Poincaré-Birkhoff fixed point theorem and periodic solutions of asymptotically linear planar Hamiltonian system. Rend. Semin. Mat. Univ. Politec. Torino 60, 233–263 (2002)
- T. Ding, Approaches to the qualitative theory of ordinary differential equations. Peking University Series in Mathematics 3, World Scientific, Hackensack, NJ, 2007.
- Ding W.-Y.: A generalization of the Poincaré-Birkhoff theorem. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 88, 341–346 (1983)
- J. Franks, Erratum to “Generalizations of Poincaré-Birkhoff theorem”. Ann. of Math. (2) 164 (2006), 1097–1098.
- J. Franks, Generalizations of the Poincaré-Birkhoff theorem. Ann. of Math. (2) 128 (1988), 139–151.
- Guillou L.: A simple proof of P. Carter’s theorem. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 125, 1555–1559 (1997) CrossRef
- B. Kerékjarto, The plane translation theorem of Brouwer and the last geometric theorem of Poincaré. Acta Sci. Math. (Szeged) 4 (1928-29), 86–102.
- A. Margheri, C. Rebelo and F. Zanolin, Maslov index, Poincaré-Birkhoff theorem and periodic solutions of asymptotically linear planar Hamiltonian systems. J. Differential Equations 183 (2002), 342–367.
- A. Pascoletti and F. Zanolin, A topological approach to bend-twist maps with applications. Int. J. Differ. Equ. 2011 (2011), Art. ID 612041, 20 p.
- H. Poincaré, Sur un thèorème de geomètrie. Rend. Circ. Mat. Palermo (2) 33 (1912), 375–407.
- H. E. Winkelnkemper, A generalizations of the Poincaré-Birkhoff theorem. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 102 (1988), 1028–1030.
- L. Yong and L. Zhenghua, A constructive proof of the Poincaré-Birkhoff theorem. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 347 (1995), 2111–2126.
- Some extensions of the Poincaré–Birkhoff theorem
Journal of Fixed Point Theory and Applications
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 611-625
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Basel
- Additional Links
- Primary 54H25
- Secondary 37E40
- Poincaré–Birkhoff theorem
- fixed point
- continuous map
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Applied Mathematical Research, Karelian Research Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 11, Pushkinskaya str., Petrozavodsk, Karelia, 185910, Russia
- 2. Department of Mathematics, Petrozavodsk State University, 33, Lenin str., Petrozavodsk, Karelia, 185910, Russia