Soil-water characteristics and shear strength in constant water content triaxial tests on Yunnan red clay
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The shear strength parameters for geotechnical designs are obtained mainly from consolidated drained (CD) or consolidated undrained (CU) triaxial tests. However, during construction, the excess pore-air pressure generally dissipates instantaneously while the excess pore-water pressure dissipates with time. This condition needs to be simulated in a constant water content (CW) triaxial test. The study on Yunnan red clay is carried out to investigate the soil-water characteristics and the shear strength characteristics under the constant water content condition. Osmotic technique is used to obtain the soil-water characteristic curve. A series of CW triaxial tests are conducted on statically compacted specimens. The experimental results show that the soil-water characteristic curve has a low air entry value of 7 kPa due to large pores in non-uniform pore size distribution, and a high residual value exceeding 10 MPa. In addition, the initial degree of saturation and net confining stress play an important role in affecting the shear characteristics under the constant water content condition. Finally, a new semi-empirical shear strength model in terms of degree of saturation is proposed and then applied to Yunnan red clay. Simulation result shows that the model is capable of capturing some key features of soils. The model can be used in whole engineering practice range, covering both unsaturated and saturated soils.
- FREDLUND D G, RAHARDJO H. Soil mechanics for unsaturated soils [M]. New York: Wiley Interscience, 1993: 133–136. CrossRef
- FREDLUND D G. Unsaturated soil mechanics in engineering practice [J]. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 2006, 132(3): 286–321. CrossRef
- BLATZ J A, CUI Yu-jun, OLDECOP L. Vapour equilibrium and osmotic technique for suction control [J]. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 2008, 26(6): 661–673. CrossRef
- WALLE C M, HACHICH W. Rain-induced landslides in south eastern Brazil [C]// Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. Rio de Janeiro, 1989: 1639–1642.
- TERZAGHI K, PECK R B, MESRI G. Soil mechanics in engineering practice [M]. 3rd edition. New York: Wiley-Interscience, 1996: 361–365.
- THU T M, RAHARDJO H, LEONG E C. Shear strength and pore-water pressure characteristics during constant water content triaxial tests [J]. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 2006, 132(3): 411–419. CrossRef
- BISHOP A W, ALPAN I, BLIGHT G E, DONALD I B. Factors controlling the strength of partly saturated cohesive soils [C]// Proceedings of ASCE Research Conference on Shear Strength of Cohesive Soils. University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo, 1960: 503–532.
- BISHOP A W, DONALD I B. The experimental study of partly saturated soils in triaxial apparatus [C]// Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. Paris, 1961: 13–21.
- BLIGHT G E. Strength and consolidation characteristics of compacted soil [M]. London: University of London, 1961: 123–127.
- SATIJA B S. Shear behaviour of partly saturated soil [D]. Delhi: Indian Institute of Technology, 1978.
- SIVAKUMAR V. A critical state framework for unsaturated soil [D]. Sheffield: University of Sheffield, 1993.
- RAHARDJO H, HENG O B, CHOON L E. Shear strength of a compacted residual soil from consolidated drained and constant water content triaxial tests [J]. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2004, 41(3): 421–436. CrossRef
- LING Hua, YIN Zong-ze. Variation of unsaturated soil strength with water contents [J]. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, 2007, 26(7): 1499–1503. (in Chinese)
- YANG Qing, HE Jie, LUAN Mao-tian. Comparative study on shear strength of unsaturated red clay and expansive soils [J]. Rock and Soil Mechanics. 2003, 24(1): 13–16. (in Chinese)
- ZHANG Fang-zhi, CHEN Xiao-ping. Experimental study on characteristics of deformation and strength of unsaturated clay [J]. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, 2009, 28(2): 3808–3814. (in Chinese)
- XIAO Zhi-yu, CHEN Chang-fu, YANG Jian-xiang. Experimental studies of the strength variation of unsaturated residual soil with different water contents [J]. Journal of Hunan University, 2010, 37(10): 20–24. (in Chinese)
- BIAN Jia-min, WANG Bao-tian. Research on influence of water contents on the shear strength behavior of unsaturated soils [J]. Chinese Journal of Underground Space and Engineering, 2011, 7(1): 17–21, 43. (in Chinese)
- JI Hong-bing, WANG shi-jie, OUYANG Zi-yuan, ZHANG Shen, SUN Chen-xing, LIU Xiu-ming, ZHOU De-quan. Geochemistry of red residua underlying dolomites in karst terrains of Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau I. The formation of the Pingba profile [J]. Chemical Geology, 2004, 203(1/2): 1–27. CrossRef
- DELAGE P, HOWAT M D, CUI Yu-jun. The relationship between suction and swelling properties in a heavily compacted unsaturated clay [J]. Engineering Geology, 1998, 50(1/2): 31–48. CrossRef
- CHEN Bao, QIAN Li-xin, YE Wei-min, CUI Yu-jun, WANG Ju. Soil-water characteristic curves of Gaomiaozi bentonite [J]. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, 2006, 25(4): 788–792. (in Chinese)
- GARDNER W. Mathematics of isothermal water conduction in unsaturated soils [C]// The International Symposia on Physico-Chemical Phenomenon in Soils. Washington D C: Highway Research Board, 1958: 78–87.
- ESCARIO V, JUCA J F T, COPPE M S. Strength and deformation of partly saturated soils [C]// Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. Rio De Janeiro, 1990: 43–46.
- NG C W W, YUNG S Y. Determination of the anisotropic shear stiffness of an unsaturated decomposed soil [J]. Geotechnique, 2008, 58(1): 23–35. CrossRef
- ONG B H. Shear strength and volume change of unsaturated residual soil [D]. Singapore: Nanyang Technological University, 1999.
- CRONEY D, COLEMAN J D, BLACK W P M. Movement and distribution of water in soil in relation to highway design and performance [C]// Highway Research Board Special Report 40. Washington D C: US Highway Research Board, 1958: 226–252.
- BURLAND J B. Some aspects of the mechanical behavior of partly saturated soils [C]// Proceedings of the Conference Moisture Equilibria and Moisture Changes in Soil Beneath Covered Areas. Guilford, UK: Butterworths, 1965: 270–278.
- COLLINS K, MCGOWN A. The form and function of microfabric features in a variety of natural soils [J]. Geotechnique, 1974, 24(2): 223–254. CrossRef
- CHIU C F, NG C W W. A state-dependent elasto-plastic model for saturated and unsaturated soils [J]. Geotechnique, 2003, 53(9): 809–829. CrossRef
- DELAGE P, GRAHAM J. Mechanical behavior of unsaturated soil: understanding the behaviour [C]// Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Unsaturated Soils. Paris, 1995: 1223–1256.
- GENS A. Constitutive modeling: Application to compacted soils [C]// Proceeding of the first international conference on unsaturated soils. Paris, 1995, 9: 1179–1200.
- WHEELER S J, KARUBE D. Constitutive modelling [C]// Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Unsaturated Soils. Paris, 1995: 1323–1356.
- Soil-water characteristics and shear strength in constant water content triaxial tests on Yunnan red clay
Journal of Central South University
Volume 20, Issue 5 , pp 1412-1419
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Central South University
- Additional Links
- Yunnan red clay
- soil-water characteristic curve
- shear strength
- constant water triaxial test
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 11629. College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Guangxi University, Nanning, 530004, China
- 21629. Department of Geotechnical Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, 200092, China
- 31629. School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, University of Jinan, Jinan, 250022, China