Piezoelectric responses of brittle rock mass containing quartz to static stress and exploding stress wave respectively
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The electromagnetic emission(EME) induced from the rock containing piezoelectric materials was investigated under both static stress and exploding stress wave in the view of piezoelectric effect. The results show that the intensity of the EME induced from the rock under static stress increases with increasing stress level and loading rate; the relationship between the amplitude of the EME from the rock under different modes of stress wave and elastic parameters and propagation distance was presented. The intensity of the EME relates not only to the strength and elastic moduli of rock masses, but also to the initial damage of the rock. The intensity of EME induced by stress wave reaches the highest at the explosion-center and attenuates with the propagation distance. The intensity of EME increases with increasing the elastic modulus and decreases with increasing initial damage. The results are in good agreement with the experimental results.
- FINKEL V M, GOLOVINY I, MOGILA P G. Electrical effects accompanying fracture of LIF crystals and problem of crack control [J]. Soviet Physics-Solid State, 1993, 17(3): 492–495.
- NABARRO B. Theory of crystal dislocations [M]. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1967.
- GOLD R M, MARKOV G, MOGILA P G. Pulsed electromagnetic radiation of minerals and rocks subjected to mechanical loading [J]. Physics of the Solid Earth, 1975(7): 109–111.
- CRESS G O, BRADY B T, ROWELL G A. Sources of electromagnetic radiation from fracture of rock samples in the laboratory [J]. Geophys Res Lett, 1987, 14: 331–334. CrossRef
- GERSHENZON N, GOKHBERG M, MORGUNOV V. Sources of electromagnetic emission presiding seismic events [J]. Physics of the Solid Earth, 1987, 23(2): 96–101.
- MIROSHNICHENKO M, KUKSENKO V. Study of electromagnetic pulses in initiation of cracks in solid dielectrics [J]. Soviet Physics-Solid State, 1980, 22(5): 895–896.
- FRID V, RABINOVITCH A, BAHAT D. Fracture induced electromagnetic radiation [J]. J Phys D: Appl Phys, 2003, 36: 1620–1628. CrossRef
- LIU Yu-zhou, LIU Yin, WANG Yin-sheng, JIN An-zhong, FU Jian-men, CAO Jing-ping. The influencing factors and mechanisms of the electromagnetic radiation during rock fracture [J]. Acta Seismologica Sinica, 1997, 19(4): 418–425. (in Chinese)
- OGAWA T, UTADA H. Coseismic piezoelectric effects due to a dislocation (1): An analytic far and early-time field solution in a homogeneous whole space [J]. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 2000, 121(3/4): 273–288. CrossRef
- GERNETS A A, MAKARETS M V, KOSHEVAYA S V, GRIMALSKY V V, JUAREZ R D, KOTSARENKO A N. Electromagnetic emission caused by the fracturing of piezoelectric crystals with an arbitrarily oriented moving crack [J]. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 2004, 29(4/9): 463–472.
- BRADY B T, ROWELL G A. Laboratory investigation of the electromagnetics of rock fracture [J]. Nature, 1996, 321: 488–492. CrossRef
- KURLENYA M V, VOSTRETSOV A G, PYNZAR M M, YAKOVITSKAYA G E. Electro-magnetic signals during static and dynamic loading of rock samples [J]. Journal of Mining Science, 2002, 38(1): 20–24. CrossRef
- FUKUI K, OKUBO S, TERASHIM T A. Electromagnetic radiation from rock during uniaxial compression testing: The effects of rock characteristics and test conditions [J]. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 2005, 38(5): 411–423. CrossRef
- BORISOV V D. Time and spectrum analysis to study rock failure mechanics [J]. Journal of Mining Science, 2005, 41(4): 332–341. CrossRef
- GUO Zi-qiang, ZHOU Da-zhuang, MA Fu-sheng, SHI Xing-jue, XI Dao-ying, CHENG Chun-jie, ZHOU Zhi-wen. Electron emission during rock fracture [J]. Acta Geophysica Sinica, 1988, 31(5): 566–571. (in Chinese)
- WANG Ji-jun, ZHAO Guo-ze, ZHEN Yan. Rock experiments for research of seismic electromagnetic phenomena in China [J]. Journal of Geodesy and Geodynamics, 2005, 25(2): 22–28. (in Chinese)
- LI Xi-bing, GU De-sheng. The study of the coupling between stress wave and electromagnetic wave in the rock [J]. Journal of Central South University of Technology: Natural Science, 1992, 23(3): 260–266. (in Chinese)
- AULD B A. Acoustic field and waves in solids [M]. Beijing: Science Press, 1982. (in Chinese)
- SUN Qi-zheng. The method of analyzing and forecasting of electromagnetics [M]. Beijing: Seism Press, 1998. (in Chinese)
- ZHAO Tong-wu. Rock impact dynamics [M]. Beijing: Metallurgical Industry Press, 1996. (in Chinese)
- CUI Xin-zhuang, LI Wei-min, DUAN Zhu-ping, CHEN Shi-hai. Stress wave attenuation in isotropic damaged rocks [J]. Explosion and Shock Waves, 2001, 21(1): 76–80. (in Chinese)
- JIN An-zhong, ZHAO Qiang, JIANG Mei, LIU Yu-zhou, WANG Yin-sheng, LIU Xi-qiang, ZHANG Ji-hong. The observation results of the field experiment of the electromagnetic emission induced by rock blasting [J]. Acta Seismologica Sinica, 1997, 19(1): 45–50. (in Chinese)
- Piezoelectric responses of brittle rock mass containing quartz to static stress and exploding stress wave respectively
Journal of Central South University of Technology
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 344-349
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Central South University
- Additional Links
- piezoelectric responses
- electromagnetic emission
- static stress
- exploding stress wave
- Industry Sectors