Preparation of tetrapod-like ZnO whiskers from waste hot dipping zinc
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Large and uniform tetrapod-like ZnO whiskers (T-ZnO) were prepared from waste hot dipping zinc by vapor oxidation and examined by means of X-ray diffraction and ICP-AES analysis and scanning electron microscope. The products are pure hexagonal wurtzite crystals with tetrapod shape and edge size of center body 5–6 µm and needle length of 100–130 µm. The size and shape of ZnO particles are fully controlled by the growth conditions and T-ZnO can be obtained only at 850–1000 °C and total gas flow rate ranging from 40 to 250 L · h−1 in which the size of the T-ZnO particles varies slightly with temperature. The process of the formation of T-ZnO is that T-ZnO may nucleate at the initial stage with a complete tetrapod shape and develop to the large size, but not the process of preferential growth of octahedral nuclei and subsequent growth of the needles. The experiment presents a new method to prepare T-ZnO economically by using the waste hot dipping zinc.
- Givargizov E I, Highly Anisotropic Crystals [M]. Tokyo: Terra Scientific Publishing Company, 1987.
- DAI Y, ZHANG Y, LI Q K, et al. Synthesis and optical properties of tetrapod-like zinc oxide nano rods[J]. Chem Phys Lett, 2002, 358: 82–86.
- ZHOU Zuo-wan, PENG Wei-ming, KE Shao-ying. Tetrapod-shaped ZnO whisker and its composites [J]. J Materials Processing Technology, 1999, (89–90): 415–420.
- Nishida S, Funabashi Y, Ikai A. Combination of AFM with an objective-type total internal reflection fluorescence microscope (TIRFM) for nanomanipulation of single cells [J]. Ultramicroscopy, 2002, 91(1–4):269–274. CrossRef
- Kitano M, Hamabe T, Maeda S, et al. Growth of large tetrapod ZnO crystals(I)[J]. J Crystal Growth, 1990, 102: 965–973. CrossRef
- CHEN Er-fan. Synthesis of tetrapod-like ZnO whiskers[P]. CN1271786A. 2000 - 11 - 01. (in Chinese)
- LI Shu-chen. Technology of producing tetropod-like ZnO whiskers by carbon reducing method[P]. CN1101952A. 1995 - 04 - 26. (in Chinese)
- WU Hua-wu. Method and apparatus of producing tetropod-like ZnO[P]. CN1099816A. 1995 - 03 - 08.(in Chinese)
- ZHOU Zuo-wan, DENG Hai, YI Jing. A new method for preparation of zinc oxide whiskers[J]. Material Research Bulletin, 1999,34(10–11):1563–1567. CrossRef
- MA Chun, YU Zhong-xing. Preparing pure zinc by electrolysis from waste hot dipping zinc[J]. Shanghai Nonferous Metals, 2002,23(2):79–82.(in Chinese)
- Kitano M, Hamabe T, Maeda S. Growth of large tetrapod ZnO crystals(II)[J]. J Crystal Growth, 1991,108: 277–284. CrossRef
- Iwanaga H, Fujii M. Some evidence for the octa-twin model of tetrapod ZnO particles[J]. J Crystal Growth, 1994,141:234–238. CrossRef
- Iwanaga H, Fujii M, Takeuchi S. Inter-leg angles in tetrapod ZnO particles [J]. J Crystal Growth, 1998, 183:190–195. CrossRef
- WU Run, XIE Chang-sheng, XIA Hui, et al. The thermal physical formation of ZnO nanoparticles and their morphology [J]. J crystal growth, 2000, 217: 247–280.
- Preparation of tetrapod-like ZnO whiskers from waste hot dipping zinc
Journal of Central South University of Technology
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 51-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Central South University of Technology
- Additional Links
- waste hot dipping zinc
- tetrapod-like ZnO whisker
- crystal morphology
- Industry Sectors