Achieving autologous breast reconstruction for breast cancer patients in the setting of post-mastectomy radiotherapy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Breast cancer is now associated with long-term disease-free and overall survival, and in the setting of mastectomy, long term psycho-sexual health becomes an important consideration. To this end, breast reconstruction has been shown to significantly improve quality of life for mastectomy patients. With adjuvant radiotherapy often required in the setting of breast reconstruction, it is unclear what interaction the two can have.
A thorough literature review was undertaken to assess the impact of radiotherapy on autologous breast reconstruction, and in particular, the influence of its timing on vessel selection, post-operative complications and both oncologic and cosmetic outcomes.
A clear benefit was established for delaying reconstruction until after radiotherapy to improve cosmetic outcomes. Although the timing of radiotherapy administration may influence vessel selection and the nature of post-operative complications encountered, overall outcomes were not dissimilar. Likewise, oncologic outcomes have not been shown to be significantly affected by the timing of radiotherapy.
Conclusions and implications for cancer survivors
Both immediate and delayed breast reconstruction are safe modes of treatment, however patients that are expected to require adjuvant radiotherapy may benefit from delaying reconstruction until completion of oncologic treatment.
- Overgaard M, Hansen PS, Overgaard J, Rose C, Andersson M, Bach F, et al. Postoperative radiotherapy in high-risk premenopausal women with breast cancer who receive adjuvant chemotherapy. Danish breast cancer cooperative group 82b trial. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:949–55. CrossRef
- Ragaz J, Jackson SM, Le N, Plenderleith IH, Spinelli JJ, Basco VE, et al. Adjuvant radiotherapy and chemotherapy in node-positive premenopausal women with breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:956–62. CrossRef
- Liljegren G, Holmberg L, Bergh J, Lindgren A, Tabar L, Nordgren H, et al. 10-year results after sector resection with or without postoperative radiotherapy for stage i breast cancer: a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol. 1999;17:2326–33.
- Fisher B, Anderson S, Bryant J, Margolese RG, Deutsch M, Fisher ER, et al. Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized trial comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:1233–41. CrossRef
- Dewar JA. Postmastectomy radiotherapy. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2006;18:185–90.
- Favourable and unfavourable effects on long-term survival of radiotherapy for early breast cancer: An overview of the randomised trials. Early breast cancer trialists’ collaborative group. Lancet. 2000;355:1757–70.
- Gebski V, Lagleva M, Keech A, Simes J, Langlands AO. Survival effects of postmastectomy adjuvant radiation therapy using biologically equivalent doses: a clinical perspective. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98:26–38. CrossRef
- Overgaard M, Jensen MB, Overgaard J, Hansen PS, Rose C, Andersson M, et al. Postoperative radiotherapy in high-risk postmenopausal breast-cancer patients given adjuvant tamoxifen: Danish breast cancer cooperative group dbcg 82c randomised trial. Lancet. 1999;353:1641–8. CrossRef
- Pomahac B, Recht A, May JW, Hergrueter CA, Slavin SA. New trends in breast cancer management: is the era of immediate breast reconstruction changing? Ann Surg. 2006;244:282–8. CrossRef
- Huang J, Barbera L, Brouwers M, Browman G, Mackillop WJ. Does delay in starting treatment affect the outcomes of radiotherapy? A systematic review. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:555–63. CrossRef
- Hershman DL, Wang X, McBride R, Jacobson JS, Grann VR, Neugut AI. Delay in initiating adjuvant radiotherapy following breast conservation surgery and its impact on survival. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;65:1353–60. CrossRef
- Jobsen JJ, van der Palen J, Ong F, Meerwaldt JH. Timing of radiotherapy and survival benefit in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006;99:289–94. CrossRef
- Rozen WM, Ashton MW, Taylor GI. Defining the role for autologous breast reconstruction after mastectomy: social and oncologic implications. Clin Breast Cancer. 2008;8:134–42. CrossRef
- Serletti JM, Moran SL, Orlando GS, Fox I. Thoracodorsal vessels as recipient vessels for the free tram flap in delayed breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999;104:1649–55. CrossRef
- Lorenzetti F, Kuokkanen H, von Smitten K, Asko-Seljavaara S. Intraoperative evaluation of blood flow in the internal mammary or thoracodorsal artery as a recipient vessel for a free tram flap. Ann Plast Surg. 2001;46:590–3. CrossRef
- Moran SL, Nava G, Behnam AB, Serletti JM. An outcome analysis comparing the thoracodorsal and internal mammary vessels as recipient sites for microvascular breast reconstruction: a prospective study of 100 patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003;111:1876–82. CrossRef
- Temple CL, Strom EA, Youssef A, Langstein HN. Choice of recipient vessels in delayed tram flap breast reconstruction after radiotherapy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;115:105–13.
- Moran SL, Serletti JM, Fox I. Immediate free tram reconstruction in lumpectomy and radiation failure patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;106:1527–31. CrossRef
- Saint-Cyr M, Youssef A, Bae HW, Robb GL, Chang DW. Changing trends in recipient vessel selection for microvascular autologous breast reconstruction: an analysis of 1483 consecutive cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;119:1993–2000. CrossRef
- Watterson PA, Bostwick 3rd J, Hester Jr TR, Bried JT, Taylor GI. Tram flap anatomy correlated with a 10-year clinical experience with 556 patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995;95:1185–94. CrossRef
- Tran NV, Chang DW, Gupta A, Kroll SS, Robb GL. Comparison of immediate and delayed free tram flap breast reconstruction in patients receiving postmastectomy radiation therapy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001;108:78–82. CrossRef
- Williams JK, Carlson GW, Bostwick 3rd J, Bried JT, Mackay G. The effects of radiation treatment after tram flap breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997;100:1153–60. CrossRef
- Anderson PR, Hanlon AL, Fowble BL, McNeeley SW, Freedman GM. Low complication rates are achievable after postmastectomy breast reconstruction and radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004;59:1080–7. CrossRef
- Spear SL, Ducic I, Low M, Cuoco F. The effect of radiation on pedicled tram flap breast reconstruction: outcomes and implications. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;115:84–95.
- Huang CJ, Hou MF, Lin SD, Chuang HY, Huang MY, Fu OY, et al. Comparison of local recurrence and distant metastases between breast cancer patients after postmastectomy radiotherapy with and without immediate tram flap reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;118:1079–86. discussion 1087–1078. CrossRef
- Nahabedian MY, Momen B. The impact of breast reconstruction on the oncologic efficacy of radiation therapy: a retrospective analysis. Ann Plast Surg. 2008;60:244–50. CrossRef
- McCarthy CM, Cordeiro PG, Disa JJ, Mehrara BJ, Pusic AL. The impact of breast reconstruction on the oncologic efficacy of radiation therapy. Ann Plast Surg. 2008;61:585. CrossRef
- Kroll SS, Coffey Jr JA, Winn RJ, Schusterman MA. A comparison of factors affecting aesthetic outcomes of tram flap breast reconstructions. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995;96:860–4. CrossRef
- Williams JK, Bostwick 3 J, Bried JT, Mackay G, Landry J, Benton J. Tram flap breast reconstruction after radiation treatment. Ann Surg. 1995;221:756–64. discussion 764–756. CrossRef
- Hazard L, Miercort C, Gaffney D, Leavitt D, Stewart JR. Local-regional radiation therapy after breast reconstruction: what is the appropriate target volume? A case-control study of patients treated with electron arc radiotherapy and review of the literature. Am J Clin Oncol. 2004;27:555–64. CrossRef
- Soong IS, Yau TK, Ho CM, Lim BH, Leung S, Yeung RM, et al. Post-mastectomy radiotherapy after immediate autologous breast reconstruction in primary treatment of breast cancers. Clin Oncol R Coll Radiol. 2004;16:283–9.
- Carlson GW, Page AL, Peters K, Ashinoff R, Schaefer T, Losken A. Effects of radiation therapy on pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap breast reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2008;60:568–72. CrossRef
- Javaid M, Song F, Leinster S, Dickson MG, James NK. Radiation effects on the cosmetic outcomes of immediate and delayed autologous breast reconstruction: an argument about timing. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006;59:16–26. CrossRef
- Halyard MY, McCombs KE, Wong WW, Buchel EW, Pockaj BA, Vora SA, et al. Acute and chronic results of adjuvant radiotherapy after mastectomy and transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (tram) flap reconstruction for breast cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2004;27:389–94. CrossRef
- Disa JJ, Cordeiro PG, Heerdt AH, Petrek JA, Borgen PJ, Hidalgo DA. Skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate autologous tissue reconstruction after whole-breast irradiation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003;111:118–24. CrossRef
- Hunt KK, Baldwin BJ, Strom EA, Ames FC, McNeese MD, Kroll SS, et al. Feasibility of postmastectomy radiation therapy after tram flap breast reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol. 1997;4:377–84. CrossRef
- Rogers NE, Allen RJ. Radiation effects on breast reconstruction with the deep inferior epigastric perforator flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002;109:1919–24. discussion 1925–1916. CrossRef
- McKeown DJ, Hogg FJ, Brown IM, Walker MJ, Scott JR, Weiler-Mithoff EM. The timing of autologous latissimus dorsi breast reconstruction and effect of radiotherapy on outcome. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2009;62:488–93. CrossRef
- Thomson HJ, Potter S, Greenwood RJ, Bahl A, Barker J, Cawthorn SJ, et al. A prospective longitudinal study of cosmetic outcome in immediate latissimus dorsi breast reconstruction and the influence of radiotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15:1081–91. CrossRef
- Gerber B, Krause A, Dieterich M, Kundt G, Reimer T. The oncological safety of skin sparing mastectomy with conservation of the nipple-areola complex and autologous reconstruction: an extended follow-up study. Ann Surg. 2009;249:461–8. CrossRef
- Mokbel R, Mokbel K. Skin-sparing mastectomy and radiotherapy: an update. Int Sem Oncol. 2006;3:35. CrossRef
- Hultman CS, Daiza S. Skin-sparing mastectomy flap complications after breast reconstruction: review of incidence, management and outcome. Ann Plast Surg. 2003;50:249–55. CrossRef
- Disa JJ, Cordeiro PG, Heerdt AH, Petrek JA, Borgen PJ, Hidalgo DA. Skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate autologous tissue reconstruction after whole breast irradiation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003;111:118–24. CrossRef
- Buchholz TA, Kronowitz SJ, Kuerer HM. Immediate breast reconstruction after skin-sparing mastectomy for the treatment of advanced breast cancer: radiation oncology considerations. Ann Surg Oncol. 2002;9:820–1. CrossRef
- Schechter NR, Strom EA, Perkins GH, Arzu I, McNeese MD, Langstein HN, et al. Immediate breast reconstruction can impact postmastectomy irradiation. Am J Clin Oncol. 2005;28:485–94. CrossRef
- Motwani SB, Strom EA, Schechter NR, Butler CE, Lee GK, Langstein HN, et al. The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the technical delivery of postmastectomy radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;66:76–82. CrossRef
- Kroll SS, Schusterman MA, Reece GP, Miller MJ, Smith B. Breast reconstruction with myocutaneous flaps in previously irradiated patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994;93:460–9. discussion 470–461. CrossRef
- Jones G, Nahai F. Management of complex wounds. Curr Probl Surg. 1998;35:179–270. CrossRef
- Mehta VK, Goffinet D. Postmastectomy radiation therapy after tram flap breast reconstruction. Breast J. 2004;10:118–22. CrossRef
- Zimmerman RP, Mark RJ, Kim AI, Walton T, Sayah D, Juillard GF, et al. Radiation tolerance of transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous-free flaps used in immediate breast reconstruction. Am J Clin Oncol. 1998;21:381–5. CrossRef
- Tran NV, Evans GR, Kroll SS, Baldwin BJ, Miller MJ, Reece GP, et al. Postoperative adjuvant irradiation: effects on tranverse rectus abdominis muscle flap breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;106:313–7. discussion 318–320. CrossRef
- Gill PS, Hunt JP, Guerra AB, Dellacroce FJ, Sullivan SK, Boraski J, et al. A 10-year retrospective review of 758 diep flaps for breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004;113:1153–60. CrossRef
- Chatterjee JS, Lee A, Anderson W, Baker L, Stevenson JH, Dewar JA, et al. Effect of postoperative radiotherapy on autologous deep inferior epigastric perforator flap volume after immediate breast reconstruction. Br J Surg. 2009;96:1135–40. CrossRef
- Apffelstaedt J. Indications and complications of latissimus dorsi myocutaneous flaps in oncologic breast surgery. World J Surg. 2002;26:1088–93. CrossRef
- Kronowitz SJ, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM, Babiera G, McNeese MD, Buchholz TA, et al. Delayed-immediate breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004;113:1617–28. CrossRef
- Achieving autologous breast reconstruction for breast cancer patients in the setting of post-mastectomy radiotherapy
Journal of Cancer Survivorship
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 1-7
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Adjuvant therapy
- Free flap
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Jack Brockhoff Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Research Unit, Room E533, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Melbourne, Grattan St., Parkville, Victoria, 3050, Australia