A controlled study of risk factors for disease and current problems in long-term testicular cancer survivors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To compare risk factors for disease and current problems in long-term testicular cancer survivors (TCSs) and age-matched population-based controls (NORMs).
The study was cross-sectional and concerned 1,291 Norwegian TCSs followed up after a mean of 11 years, and 6,455 NORMs. Both TCSs and NORMs completed questionnaires and had a clinical examination. Indices for risk factors and current problems were calculated. Outcome measures were: visits to general practitioners last year, poor self-rated health, and poor quality of life (QoL).
The mean risk score was significantly lower and the mean current problem score significantly higher in TCSs compared to NORMs without reaching clinical significance. The risk for future fatal cardiac events did not differ between the groups. TCSs had a higher risk for visiting a general practitioner than NORMs (OR 3.58, 95% CI 3.09–4.15), while no significant difference was observed for self-rated health. Poor QoL in TCSs was significantly associated with more current problems than risk factors. Previous treatment for mental problems, presence of severe somatic disease and musculo-skeletal problems were significantly associated with all three outcome measures. Musculo-skeletal problems were most strongly associated with visits to general practitioners among TCSs.
Several risk factors for preventive clinical interventions and current problems that eventually should be treated were identified in TCSs.
Implications for cancer survivors
TCSs show several risk factors and current problems that are relevant for visits to general practitioners, poorer self-rated health, and poorer QoL. These should get attention from health personnel caring for TCSs.
- Dahl AA, Haaland CF, Mykletun A, Bremnes R, Dahl O, Klepp O, et al. Study of anxiety disorder and depression in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;10:2389–95. CrossRef
- Orre IJ, Fosså SD, Murison R, Dahl AA, Ueland T, Aukrust P, et al. Chronic fatigue in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. J Psychosom Res. 2008;64:363–71. CrossRef
- Skaali T, Fosså SD, Bremnes R, Dahl O, Haaland C, Rønneberg Hauge E, et al. Fear of recurrence in long-term testicular cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncol. 2009;18:580–8. CrossRef
- Oldenburg J, Fosså SD, Dahl AA. Scale for Chemotherapy-induced Long-term Neurotoxicity (SCIN): psychometrics, validation, and findings in a large sample of testicular cancer survivors. Qual Life Res. 2006;15:791–800. CrossRef
- Haugnes HS, Aass N, Fosså SD, Dahl O, Brydøy M, Aasebø U, et al. Pulmonary function in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:2779–86. CrossRef
- Haugnes HS, Aass N, Fosså SD, Dahl O, Klepp O, Wist EA, et al. Predicted cardiovascular mortality and reported cardiovascular morbidity in testicular cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv. 2008;2:128–37. CrossRef
- Haugnes HS, Aass N, Fosså SD, Dahl O, Klepp O, Wist EA, et al. Components of the metabolic syndrome in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:241–8. CrossRef
- Wethal T, Kjekshus J, Røislien J, Ueland T, Andreassen AK, Wergeland R, et al. Treatment-related differences in cardiovascular risk factors in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. J Cancer Surviv. 2007;1:8–16. CrossRef
- Orre IJ, Murison R, Dahl AA, Ueland T, Aukrust P, Fosså SD. Levels of circulating interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and C-reactive protein in long-term survivors of testicular cancer with chronic cancer-related fatigue. Brain Behav Immun. 2009;23:868–74. CrossRef
- Wallace RB. Maxcy-Rosenau-Last Public health and preventive medicine. 15th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2007.
- Brisette I, Cohen S, Seeman TE. Measuring social integration and social networks. In: Cohen S, Underwood LG, Gottlieb BH, editors. Social support: measurement and intervention. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2000. p. 53–85.
- Meinardi MT, Gietema JA, van der Graaf WTA, van Veldhuisen DJ, Runne MA, Sluiter WJ, et al. Cardiovascular morbidity in long-term survivors of metastatic testicular cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18:1725–32.
- Holmen J, Midthjell K, Krüger Ø, Langhammer A, Holmen TL, Bratberg GH, et al. The Nord-Trøndelag Health Study 1995–97 (HUNT 2): objectives, contents, methods and participation. Nor Epidemiol. 2003;13:19–32.
- Aasland OG, Amundsen A, Bovim G, Fauske S, Mørland J. Identification of patients at risk of alcohol related damage (in Norwegian). Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 1990;110:1523–7.
- Aertgeerts B, Buntinx F, Kester A. The value of the CAGE in screening for alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence in general clinical populations: a diagnostic meta-analysis. J Clin Epidemiol. 2004;57:30–9. CrossRef
- Thorsen L, Nystad W, Stigum H, Dahl O, Klepp O, Bremnes RM, et al. The association between self-reported physical activity and prevalence of depression and anxiety in long-term survivors of testicular cancer and in general population sample. Support Care Cancer. 2005;13:637–46. CrossRef
- Conroy RM, Pyorla K, Fitzgerald AP, Sans S, Menotti A, De Backer G, et al. Estimation of ten-year risk of fatal cardiovascular disease in Europe: the SCORE project. Eur Heart J. 2003;24:987–1003. CrossRef
- Grov EK, Fosså SD, Bremnes R, Dahl O, Klepp O, Wist E, et al. Strong associations between long term morbidity and the personality trait of neuroticism in testicular cancer survivors. Acta Oncol. 2009;48:842–9. CrossRef
- Bjelland I, Dahl AA, Haug TT, Neckelmann D. The validity of The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale: an updated literature review. J Psychosom Res. 2002;52:69–77. CrossRef
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 1965.
- Tambs K. Moderate effects of hearing loss on mental health and subjective well-being: results from the Nord-Trøndelag Hearing Loss Study. Psychosom Med. 2004;66:776–82. CrossRef
- Dahl AA, Bremnes R, Dahl O, Klepp O, Wist E, Fosså SD. Is the sexual function compromised in long-term testicular cancer survivors? Eur Urol. 2007;52:1438–47. CrossRef
- Ware Jr JE, Snow KK, Kosinski M, Gandek B. SF-36® Health Survey: manual and interpretation guide. Lincoln: QualityMetric Inc; 2000.
- Ware Jr JE, Gandek B, Kosinski M, Aaronson NK, Apolone G, Brazier J, et al. The equivalence of SF-36 health score estimates using standard and country-specific algorithms in 10 countries: results from the IQOLA Project. International Quality of Life Assessment. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998;51:1167–70. CrossRef
- Lipsey MW, Wilson DB. Practical meta-analysis. Thousand Oakes: SAGE; 2001.
- Nakagawa S, Cuthill IC. Effect size, confidence interval and statistical significance: a practical guide for biologists. Biol Rev. 2007;82:591–605. CrossRef
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale: Earlbaum; 1988.
- Deslandes A, Moraes H, Ferreira C, Veiga H, Silveira H, Mouta R, et al. Exercise and mental health: many reasons to move. Neuropsychobiol. 2009;59:191–8. CrossRef
- Park CL, Edmondson D, Fenster JR, Blank TO. Positive and negative health behavior changes in cancer survivors. A stress and coping perspective. J Health Psychol. 2008;13:198–206. CrossRef
- Cramp F, Danile J. Exercise for the management of cancer-related fatigue in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;16:CD006145.
- Mykletun A, Dahl AA, Haaland CF, Bremnes R, Dahl O, Klepp O, et al. Side effects and cancer-related distress determine quality of life in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:3061–8. CrossRef
- Fayers PM, Machin D. Quality of life: the assessment, analysis and interpretation of patient—reported outcomes. 2nd ed. Chicester: Wiley; 2007.
- Mäntysekä P, Kumpusalo E, Ahonen R, Kumpusalo A, Kauhanen J, Viinimaki H, et al. Pain as a reason to visit the doctor: a study of Finnish primary health care. Pain. 2001;89:175–80. CrossRef
- A controlled study of risk factors for disease and current problems in long-term testicular cancer survivors
Journal of Cancer Survivorship
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 256-265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Testicular cancer
- Cancer survivor
- Risk factor
- Quality of life
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, 75142, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2. Department of Oncology, University of Tromsø, 9037, Tromsø, Norway
- 3. Department of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital, University of Bergen, 5007, Bergen, Norway
- 4. The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, 0310, Oslo, Norway
- 5. Faculty Division the Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, 0316, Oslo, Norway
- 6. Department of Oncology, Saint Olav’s Hospital, National University for Science and Technology, 7030, Trondheim, Norway
- 7. The Cancer Center, Oslo University Hospital, Ullevaal, University of Oslo, 0407, Oslo, Norway
- 8. Department of Clinical Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello, 0310, Oslo, Norway