Pilot study of acupuncture for the treatment of joint symptoms related to adjuvant aromatase inhibitor therapy in postmenopausal breast cancer patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Aromatase inhibitors (AIs) have become the standard of care for the adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal, hormone-sensitive breast cancer. However, patients receiving AIs may experience joint symptoms, which may lead to early discontinuation of this effective therapy. We hypothesize that acupuncture is a safe and effective treatment for AI-induced arthralgias.
Postmenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer who had self-reported musculoskeletal pain related to adjuvant AI therapy were randomized in a crossover study to receive acupuncture twice weekly for 6 weeks followed by observation or vice-versa. The intervention included full body and auricular acupuncture, and a joint-specific point prescription. Outcome measures included the Brief Pain Inventory-Short Form (BPI-SF), Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis (WOMAC) index, the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-General (FACT-G) quality of life measure, and serum levels of inflammatory markers, IL-1β and TNF-α.
Twenty-one women were enrolled and two discontinued early. From baseline to the end of treatment, patients reported improvement in the mean BPI-SF worst pain scores (5.3 to 3.3, p = 0.01), pain severity (3.7 to 2.5, p = 0.02), and pain-related functional interference (3.1 to 1.7, p = 0.02), as well as the WOMAC function subscale and FACT-G physical well-being (p = 0.02 and 0.04, respectively). No adverse events were reported.
In this pilot study, acupuncture reduced AI-related joint symptoms and improved functional ability and was well-tolerated.
Implications for cancer survivors
Musculoskeletal side effects are common among breast cancer survivors on adjuvant AI therapy, therefore, effective treatments are needed for symptom relief and to improve adherence to these life-saving medications.
- Baum, M, Budzar, AU, Cuzick, J, Forbes, J, Houghton, JH, Klijn, JG (2002) Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early breast cancer: first results of the ATAC randomised trial. Lancet 359: pp. 2131-2139 CrossRef
- Goss, PE, Ingle, JN, Martino, S, Robert, NJ, Muss, HB, Piccart, MJ (2003) A randomized trial of letrozole in postmenopausal women after five years of tamoxifen therapy for early-stage breast cancer. N Engl J Med 349: pp. 1793-1802 CrossRef
- Baum, M, Buzdar, A, Cuzick, J, Forbes, J, Houghton, J, Howell, A (2003) Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) trial efficacy and safety update analyses. Cancer 98: pp. 1802-1810 CrossRef
- Coombes, RC, Hall, E, Gibson, LJ, Paridaens, R, Jassem, J, Delozier, T (2004) A randomized trial of exemestane after two to three years of tamoxifen therapy in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancer. N Engl J Med 350: pp. 1081-1092 CrossRef
- Crew, KD, Greenlee, H, Capodice, J, Raptis, G, Brafman, L, Fuentes, D, Sierra, A, Hershman, DL (2007) Prevalence of joint symptoms in postmenopausal women taking aromatase inhibitors for early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 25: pp. 3877-3883 CrossRef
- Donnellan, PP, Douglas, SL, Cameron, DA, Leonard, RC (2001) Aromatase inhibitors and arthralgia. J Clin Oncol 19: pp. 15
- Riggs, BL, Melton, LJ (1992) The prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 327: pp. 620-627 CrossRef
- Sherwin BB. Hormones, mood, and cognitive functioning in postmenopausal women. Obstet Gynecol. 1996;87.
- Kramer, PR, Kramer, SF, Guan, G (2004) 17 beta-estradiol regulates cytokine release through modulation of CD16 expression in monocytes and monocyte-derived macrophages. Arthritis Rheum 50: pp. 1967-1975 CrossRef
- Andersson, S, Lundeberg, T (1995) Acupuncture—from empiricism to science: functional background to acupuncture effects in pain and disease. Med Hypotheses 45: pp. 271-281 CrossRef
- Han, JS, Terenius, L (1982) Neurochemical basis of acupuncture analgesia. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 22: pp. 193-220 CrossRef
- Takeda, W, Wessel, J (1994) Acupuncture for the treatment of pain of osteoarthritic knees. Arthritis Care Res 7: pp. 118-122 CrossRef
- Christensen, BV, Iuhl, IU, Vilbek, H, Bulow, HH, Dreijer, NC, Rasmussen, HF (1992) Acupuncture treatment of severe knee osteoarthrosis. a long-term study. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 36: pp. 519-525
- Ezzo, J, Hadhazy, V, Birch, S, Lao, L, Kaplan, G, Hochberg, M, Berman, B (2001) Acupuncture for osteoarthritis of the knee: a systematic review. Arthritis Rheum 44: pp. 819-825 CrossRef
- Cleeland, CS, Ryan, KM (1994) Pain assessment: global use of the Brief Pain Inventory. Ann Acad Med Singap 23: pp. 129-138
- Bellamy, N, Buchanan, WW, Goldsmith, CH, Campbell, J, Stitt, LW (1988) Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. J Rheumatol 15: pp. 1833-1840
- Brady, MJ, Cella, DF, Mo, F, Bonomi, AE, Tulsky, DS, Lloyd, SR (1997) Reliability and validity of the functional assessment of cancer therapy—breast quality-of-life instrument. J Clin Oncol 15: pp. 974-986
- MacPherson, H, White, A, Cummings, M, Jobst, KA, Rose, K, Niemtzow, RC (2002) Standards for reporting interventions in controlled trials of acupuncture: the STRICTA recommendations. J Altern Complement Med 8: pp. 85-89 CrossRef
- Xinnong C. Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion. In: Foreign Languages Press, Beijing, 1999:134–226.
- Shanghai College of Traditional Medicine. Acupuncture, A Comprehensive Text. Eastland Press, Seattle, 1981.
- Usichenko, TI, Kuchling, S, Witstruck, T, Pavlovic, D, Zach, M, Hofer, A (2007) Auricular acupuncture for pain relief after ambulatory knee surgery: a randomized trial. Cmaj 176: pp. 179-183
- Castel LD, Abernethy AP, Li Y, Depuy V, Saville BR, Hartmann KE. Hazards for pain severity and pain interference with daily living, with exploration of brief pain inventory cutpoints, among women with metastatic breast cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage, 2007.
- Jensen, MP, Turner, JA, Romano, JM, Fisher, LD (1999) Comparative reliability and validity of chronic pain intensity measures. Pain 83: pp. 157-162 CrossRef
- Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program, Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events, Version 3.0, DCTD, NCI, NIH, DHHS, March 31, 2003 (http://ctep.cancer.gov).
- Bonneterre, J, Thurlimann, B, Robertson, JF, Krzakowski, M, Mauriac, L, Koralewski, P (2000) Anastrozole versus tamoxifen as first-line therapy for advanced breast cancer in 668 postmenopausal women: results of the Tamoxifen or Arimidex Randomized Group Efficacy and Tolerability study.[see comment]. J Clin Oncol 18: pp. 3748-3757
- McGuire, WP, Hoskins, WJ, Brady, MF, Kucera, PR, Partridge, EE, Look, KY (1996) Cyclophosphamide and cisplatin compared with paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with stage III and stage IV ovarian cancer. N Eng J Med 334: pp. 1-6 CrossRef
- Cecil, RL, Archer, BH (1925) Arthritis of the menopause. JAMA 84: pp. 75-79
- Nevitt, MC, Cummings, SR, Lane, NE, Hochberg, MC, Scott, JC, Pressman, AR (1996) Association of estrogen replacement therapy with the risk of osteoarthritis of the hip in elderly white women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Arch Intern Med 156: pp. 2073-2080 CrossRef
- Hannan, MT, Felson, DT, Anderson, JJ, Naimark, A, Kannel, WB (1990) Estrogen use and radiographic osteoarthritis of the knee in women. The Framingham Osteoarthritis Study. Arthritis Rheum 33: pp. 525-532 CrossRef
- Spector, TD, Nandra, D, Hart, DJ, Doyle, DV (1997) Is hormone replacement therapy protective for hand and knee osteoarthritis in women? The Chingford Study. Ann Rheum Dis 56: pp. 432-434
- Chlebowski RT, Johnson KC, Kooperberg C, Hubbell A, Lane D, O’Sullivan M, et al. The Women’s Health Initiative randomized trial of calcium plus vitamin D: effects on breast cancer and arthralgias. Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2006.
- Silva, JA, Colville-Nash, P, Spector, TD, Scott, DL, Willoughby, DA (1993) Inflammation-induced cartilage degradation in female rodents. Protective role of sex hormones. Arthritis Rheum 36: pp. 1007-1013 CrossRef
- Saklatvala, J (1986) Tumour necrosis factor alpha stimulates resorption and inhibits synthesis of proteoglycan in cartilage. Nature 322: pp. 547-549 CrossRef
- Henderson, B, Pettipher, ER (1989) Arthritogenic actions of recombinant IL-1 and tumour necrosis factor alpha in the rabbit: evidence for synergistic interactions between cytokines in vivo. Clin Exp Immunol 75: pp. 306-310
- Wooley, PH, Whalen, JD, Chapman, DL, Berger, AE, Richard, KA, Aspar, DG, Staite, ND (1993) The effect of an interleukin-1 receptor antagonist protein on type II collagen-induced arthritis and antigen-induced arthritis in mice. Arthritis Rheum 36: pp. 1305-1314 CrossRef
- Sjolund, B, Terenius, L, Eriksson, M (1977) Increased cerebrospinal fluid levels of endorphins after electro-acupuncture. Acta Physiol Scand 100: pp. 382-384 CrossRef
- Pomeranz, B, Chiu, D (1976) Naloxone blockade of acupuncture analgesia: endorphin implicated. Life Sci 19: pp. 1757-1762 CrossRef
- Kawakita, K (1993) Polymodal receptor hypothesis on the peripheral mechanisms of acupuncture and moxibustion. Am J Acupunct 21: pp. 331-338
- Kawakita, K, Shinbara, H, Imai, K, Fukuda, F, Yano, T, Kuriyama, K (2006) How do acupuncture and moxibustion act? Focusing on the progress in Japanese acupuncture research. J Pharmacol Sci 100: pp. 443-459 CrossRef
- Matsumoto, T, Takashima, B (1981) Influences of acupuncture to the neck and shoulder on the blood circulation of the upper limbs. J Japn Soc Acupunct Mox 30: pp. 209-216
- Shinohara, S (1982) The influence of acupuncture, low frequency electrical acupuncture and SSP stimulation on local blood circulation. J Jpn Soc Acupunct Mox 32: pp. 17-23
- Roscoe, JA, Morrow, GR, Hickok, JT, Bushunow, P, Pierce, HI, Flynn, PJ (2003) The efficacy of acupressure and acustimulation wrist bands for the relief of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. A University of Rochester Cancer Center Community Clinical Oncology Program Multicenter study. J Pain Symptom Manage 26: pp. 731-742 CrossRef
- Johnstone, PA, Niemtzow, RC, Riffenburgh, RH (2002) Acupuncture for xerostomia: clinical update. Cancer 94: pp. 1151-1156 CrossRef
- Johnstone, PA, Peng, YP, May, BC, Inouye, WS, Niemtzow, RC (2001) Acupuncture for pilocarpine-resistant xerostomia following radiotherapy for head and neck malignancies. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 50: pp. 353-357 CrossRef
- Wong, RK, Jones, GW, Sagar, SM, Babjak, AF, Whelan, T (2003) A Phase I–II study in the use of acupuncture-like transcutaneous nerve stimulation in the treatment of radiation-induced xerostomia in head-and-neck cancer patients treated with radical radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57: pp. 472-480 CrossRef
- Chen, C, Zhang, Z, Li, H (2004) Electroacupuncture on Zusangli (ST36) to reduce chemotherapy induced toxicity. Xin Zhong Yi 36: pp. 46-47
- Lu, W (2005) Acupuncture for side effects of chemoradiation therapy in cancer patients. Semin Oncol Nurs 21: pp. 190-195 CrossRef
- Hui, KK, Hui, EK, Johnston, MF (2006) The potential of a person-centered approach in caring for patients with cancer: a perspective from the UCLA center for East–West medicine. Integr Cancer Ther 5: pp. 56-62 CrossRef
- Alimi, D, Rubino, C, Pichard-Leandri, E, Fermand-Brule, S, Dubreuil-Lemaire, ML, Hill, C (2003) Analgesic effect of auricular acupuncture for cancer pain: a randomized, blinded, controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 21: pp. 4120-4126 CrossRef
- Lee, H, Schmidt, K, Ernst, E (2005) Acupuncture for the relief of cancer-related pain—a systematic review. Eur J Pain 9: pp. 437-444 CrossRef
- Ernst, E, Pittler, MH, Wider, B, Boddy, K (2007) Acupuncture: its evidence-base is changing. Am J Chin Med 35: pp. 21-25 CrossRef
- Brinkhaus, B, Becker-Witt, C, Jena, S, Linde, K, Streng, A, Wagenpfeil, S, Irnich, D, Hummelsberger, J, Melchart, D, Willich, SN (2003) Acupuncture Randomized Trials (ART) in patients with chronic low back pain and osteoarthritis of the knee—design and protocols. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 10: pp. 185-191 CrossRef
- Vas J, Mendez C, Perea-Milla E, Vega E, Panadero M, Leon J, et al. Acupuncture as a complementary therapy to the pharmacological treatment of osteoarhritis of the knee: randomised controlled trial. Br Med J. 2004;DOI 10.1136, 1–5.
- Ernst, E, White, AR (2001) Prospective studies of the safety of acupuncture: a systematic review. Am J Med 110: pp. 481-485 CrossRef
- Vincent, C (2001) The safety of acupuncture. Bmj 323: pp. 467-468 CrossRef
- Gray, RE, Fitch, M, Goel, V, Franssen, E, Labrecque, M (2003) Utilization of complementary/alternative services by women with breast cancer. J Health Soc Policy 16: pp. 75-84 CrossRef
- Lengacher, CA, Bennett, MP, Kip, KE, Keller, R, LaVance, MS, Smith, LS, Cox, CE (2002) Frequency of use of complementary and alternative medicine in women with breast cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum. Online 29: pp. 1445-1452 CrossRef
- Navo, MA, Phan, J, Vaughan, C, Palmer, JL, Michaud, L, Jones, KL (2004) An assessment of the utilization of complementary and alternative medication in women with gynecologic or breast malignancies. J Clin Oncol 22: pp. 671-677 CrossRef
- Gibson, D, Bruton, A, Lewith, GT, Mullee, M (2007) Effects of acupuncture as a treatment for hyperventilation syndrome: a pilot, randomized crossover trial. J Altern Complement Med 13: pp. 39-46 CrossRef
- Reindl, TK, Geilen, W, Hartmann, R, Wiebelitz, KR, Kan, G, Wilhelm, I (2006) Acupuncture against chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in pediatric oncology. Interim results of a multicenter crossover study. Support Care Cancer 14: pp. 172-176 CrossRef
- Karst, M, Scheinichen, D, Rueckert, T, Wagner, T, Wiese, B, Fink, M (2002) Acupuncture has no immediate treatment effect on the neutrophil respiratory burst: a randomized single-blinded two-period crossover study. Brain Behav Immun 16: pp. 813-816 CrossRef
- Scharf, HP, Mansmann, U, Streitberger, K, Witte, S, Kramer, J, Maier, C (2006) Acupuncture and knee osteoarthritis: a three-armed randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 145: pp. 12-20
- Pilot study of acupuncture for the treatment of joint symptoms related to adjuvant aromatase inhibitor therapy in postmenopausal breast cancer patients
Journal of Cancer Survivorship
Volume 1, Issue 4 , pp 283-291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Aromatase inhibitor
- Breast cancer
- Joint pain/stiffness
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
- 2. Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
- 3. Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
- 4. Columbia University, 161 Fort Washington Avenue, 10-1068, New York, NY, 10032, USA