Treatment-related differences in cardiovascular risk factors in long-term survivors of testicular cancer
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Treatment in testicular cancer survivors (TCSs) may be followed by cardiovascular disorders. We have examined whether today’s three treatment modalities are assicated with a biochemical cardiovascular risk profile.
Materials and methods
In this cross sectional study serum inflammatory markers, atherogenic lipoproteins and gonadal hormones were measured in 589 orchiectomized TCSs who have been treated 5–20 years previously. There were 140 patients treated by surgery alone (SURG), 231 who had had infradiaphragmatic radiotherapy alone (RAD), and 218 who had chemotherapy with or without additional surgery (CHEM).
(1) The RAD group had higher levels of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and soluble CD40 ligand compared to the SURG group. (2) The CHEM group had lower levels of high density lipoprotein cholesterol and an increased apolipoprotein B/apolipoprotein A-1 ratio than the SURG group. The prevalence of metabolic syndrome was higher in the CHEM group than in the SURG group. (3) Hypogonadism was significantly more prevalent in the CHEM than in the SURG group.
Treatment for TC was related to long-term biochemical cardiovascular risk factors by different pathways: Radiation treatment is followed by elevated serum markers of chronic inflammation and endothelial dysfunction, whereas chemotherapy is followed by the development of atherogenic lipid changes and of the metabolic syndrome. This study provides justification for a prospective study of the impact of these treatment modalities on cardiovascular risk in testical cancer survivors. In the interim testicular cancer survivors should monitor cardiovascular risk over time.
- Barter, P. J., Nicholls, S., Rye, K. A., Anantharamaiah, G. M., Navab, M., & Fogelman, A. M. (2004). Antiinflammatory properties of HDL. Circulation Research, 95, 764–772. CrossRef
- Basavaraju, S. R., & Easterly, C. E. (2002). Pathophysiological effects of radiation on atherosclerosis development and progression, and the incidence of cardiovascular complications. Medical Physics, 29, 2391–2403. CrossRef
- Beckman, J. A., Thakore, A., Kalinowski, B. H., Harris, J. R., & Creager M. A. (2001). Radiation therapy impairs endothelium-dependent vasodilation in humans. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 37, 761–765. CrossRef
- Dirix, L. Y., Libura, M., Libura, J., Vermeulen, P. B., De Bruijn, E. A., & van Oosterom, A. T. (1997). In vitro toxicity studies with mitomycins and bleomycin on endothelial cells. Anticancer Drugs, 8, 859–868. CrossRef
- Eliopoulos, A. G., & Young, L. S. (2004) The role of the CD40 pathway in the pathogenesis and treatment of cancer. Current Opinion in Pharmacology, 4, 360–367. CrossRef
- English, K. M., Mandour, O., Steeds, R. P., Diver, M. J., Jones, T. H., & Channer, K. S. (2000). Men with coronary artery disease have lower levels of androgens than men with normal coronary angiograms. European Heart Journal, 21, 890–894. CrossRef
- Erlinger, T. P., Platz, E. A., Rifai, N., & Helzlsouer, K. J. (2004). C-reactive protein and the risk of incident colorectal cancer. JAMA, 291, 585–590. CrossRef
- Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) (2001). JAMA, 285, 2486–2497.
- Hanks, G. E., Peters, T., & Owen, J. (1992) Seminoma of the testis: long-term beneficial and deleterious results of radiation. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, 24, 913–919.
- Haugnes, H. S., Aass, N., Fossa, S. D., Dahl, O., Klepp, O., Wist, E. A., et al. (2007) Components of the metabolic syndrome in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. Annals of Oncology, 18, 241–248.
- Holm, T., Aukrust, P., Andreassen, A. K., Ueland, T., Brosstad, F., Froland, S. S., et al. (2000). Peripheral endothelial dysfunction in heart transplant recipients: Possible role of proinflammatory cytokines. Clinical Transplantation, 14, 218–225. CrossRef
- Huddart, R. A., Norman, A., Shahidi, M., Horwich, A., Coward, D., Nicholls, J., et al. (2003). Cardiovascular disease as a long-term complication of treatment for testicular cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 21, 1513–1523. CrossRef
- Jurado, J., & Thompson, P. D. (2005). Prevention of coronary artery disease in cancer patients. Pediatr. Blood Cancer, 44, 620–624. CrossRef
- Kahn, R., Buse, J., Ferrannini, E., & Stern, M. (2005). The metabolic syndrome: Time for critical appraisal. Joint statement from the American Diabetes Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care, 28, 2289–2304. CrossRef
- Laaksonen, D. E., Niskanen, L., Punnonen, K., Nyyssonen, K., Tuomainen, T. P., Salonen, R., et al. (2003). Sex hormones, inflammation and the metabolic syndrome: A population-based study. European Journal of Endocrinology, 149, 601–608. CrossRef
- Meinardi, M. T., Gietema, J. A., van Veldhuisen. D. J., van der Graaf, W. T. A., de Vries, E. G. E., & Sleijfer, D. T. (2000). Long-term chemotherapy-related cardiovascular morbidity. Cancer Treatment Reviews, 26, 429–447. CrossRef
- Myers, R. H., Montgomery, D. C., & Vining, G. G. (2002). Generalized linear models: With applications in engineering and the sciences. Wiley series in probability and statistics. The Family of Generalized Linear Models (pp. 169–71). New York: Wiley.
- Nord, C., Bjoro, T., Ellingsen, D., Mykletun, A., Dahl, O., Klepp, O., et al. (2003). Gonadal hormones in long-term survivors 10 years after treatment for unilateral testicular cancer. European Urology, 44, 322–328. CrossRef
- Nuver, J., Smit, A. J., Sleijfer, D. T., van Gessel, A. I., van Roon, A. M., van der Meer, J., et al. (2004). Microalbuminuria, decreased fibrinolysis, and inflammation as early signs of atherosclerosis in long-term survivors of disseminated testicular cancer. European Journal of Cancer, 40, 701–706. CrossRef
- Nuver, J., Smit, A. J., van der Meer, J., van den Berg, M. P., van der Graaf, W. T. A., Meinardi, M. T., et al. (2005a). Acute chemotherapy-induced cardiovascular changes in patients with testicular cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 23, 9130–9137. CrossRef
- Nuver, J., Smit, A. J., Wolffenbuttel, B. H., Sluiter, W. J., Hoekstra, H. J., Sleijfer, D. T., et al. (2005b). The metabolic syndrome and disturbance in hormone levels in long-term survivors of disseminated testicular cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 23, 3718–3725. CrossRef
- Pearson, T. A., Mensah, G. A., Alexander, R. W., Anderson, J. L., Cannon, R. O. 3rd, Criqui, M., et al. (2003). Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease: Application to clinical and public health practice: A statement for healthcare professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Society. Circulation, 107, 499–511. CrossRef
- Ridker, P. M., Rifai, N., Rose, L., Buring, J. E., & Cook, N. R. (2002). Comparison of C-reactive protein and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in the prediction of first cardiovascular events. New England journal of medicine, 347, 1557–1565. CrossRef
- Rutter, M. K., Meigs, J. B., Sullivan, L. M., D’Agostino, R. B. Sr., & Wilson, P. W. (2004). C-reactive protein, the metabolic syndrome, and prediction of cardiovascular events in the Framingham Offspring Study. Circulation, 110, 380–385. CrossRef
- Sagstuen, H., Aass, N., Fossa, S. D., Dahl, O., Klepp, O., Wist, E. A., et al. (2005). Blood pressure and body mass index in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 23, 4980–4990. CrossRef
- Schonbeck, U., Varo, N., Libby, P., Buring, J., & Ridker, P. M. (2001). Soluble CD40L and cardiovascular risk in women. Circulation, 104, 2266–2268.
- Tak, P. P., & Firestein, G. S. (2001). NF-kB: a key role in inflammatory diseases. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 107, 7–11. CrossRef
- Testis. Incidence. Counties. Survival. Cancer Registry of Norway; Institute of Population-based Cancer Research, 2001 (Accessed November 15, 2005, at http://www.kreftregisteret.no/frame.htm?forekomst_og_overlevelse_2001/testis/incidence.htm).
- Thorsen, L., Nystad, W., Stigum, H., Dahl, O., Klepp, O., Bremnes, R. M., et al. (2005). The association between self-reported physical activity and prevalence of depression and anxiety disorder in long-term survivors of testicular cancer and men in a general population sample. Support Care Cancer, 13, 637–646. CrossRef
- Ubbink, J. B., Vermaak, W. J. H., & Bissbort, S. (1991). Rapid high-performance liquid chromatography assay for total homocysteine levels in human serum. Journal of chromatography, 565, 441–446. CrossRef
- van den Belt-Dusebout, A. W., Nuver, J., de Wit, R., Gietema, J. A., & ten Bokkel Huinink, W. W., (2006). Long-term risk of cardiovascular disease in 5-year survivors of testicular cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 24, 467–475. CrossRef
- Vermeulen, A., Verdonck, L., & Kaufman, J. M. (1999). A critical evaluation of simple methods for the estimation of free testosterone in serum. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 84, 3666–3672. CrossRef
- Wallace, A. M., McMahon, A. D., Packard, C. J., Kelly, A., Shepherd, J., Gaw, A., et al. (2001). Plasma leptin and the risk of cardiovascular disease in the West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study (WOSCOPS). Circulation, 104, 3052–3056.
- Whincup, P. H., Danesh, J., Walker, M., Lennon, L., Thomson, A., Appleby, P., et al. (2002). von Willebrand factor and coronary heart disease. Prospective study and meta-analysis. European Heart Journal, 23, 1764–1770. CrossRef
- Wirehn, A. B., Tornberg, S., & Carstensen, J. (2005). Serum cholesterol and testicular cancer incidence in 45 000 men followed for 25 years. British Journal of Cancer, 92, 1785–1786. CrossRef
- Zagars, G. K., Ballo, M. T., Lee, A. K., & Strom, S. S. (2004). Mortality after cure of testicular seminoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 22, 640–647. CrossRef
- Treatment-related differences in cardiovascular risk factors in long-term survivors of testicular cancer
Journal of Cancer Survivorship: Research and Practice
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 8-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Endothelial inflammation
- Metabolic syndrome
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cardiology, Faculty Division Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
- 2. Section of Biostatistics, Rikshospitalet-Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, Oslo, Norway
- 3. Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Faculty Division Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
- 7. Department of Cardiology, Rikshospitalet-Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, Oslo, Norway
- 4. Department of Medical Biochemistry, Rikshospitalet-Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, Oslo, Norway
- 5. Section of Clinical Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Rikshospitalet-Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, Oslo, Norway
- 6. Department of Clinical Cancer Research, Rikshospitalet-Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, Ullernschausséen 70, 0310, Oslo, Norway