Anterior chest wall giant cell tumor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Giant cell tumors (GCTs) of bone are rare primary neoplasms that usually originate from the epiphysis of long bones. Even when the tumor occurs in a rib, it is usually in the posterior aspect. We report a case of a GCT originating from the anterior arc of the rib in a 22-year-old woman presenting with a progressively growing thoracic mass in the right anterior chest wall. Through this case the authors emphasize not only the rarity of a bone GCT but also its unusual costal localization.
- Shin JS, Lee IS, Kim A, Kim BH. Giant cell tumor originating from the arc of the rib. J Korean Med Sci 2002;17:849–851.
- Kumar A, Varshney MK, Trikha V, Rastogi S. An unusual presentation of a rare chest wall tumour: giant cell tumour of bone. Joint Bone Spine 2007;74:100–102. CrossRef
- Hanna RM, Kyriakos M, Quinn SF. Case report 757: giant cell tumor of rib. Skeletal Radiol 1992;21:482–488. CrossRef
- Dorfman HD, Czerniak B. Giant cell lesions. In: Dorfman HD, Czerniak B, editors. Bone tumors. St. Louis: Mosby; 1998. p. 509–606.
- Bonnet D, Barriere JR, Zimmermann JM, Eskandari J, Martet G, Robert JL, et al. Giant cell tumors of the ribs: apropos of a case. Rev Pneumol Clin 1992;48:79–85.
- Tanaka F, Wada H, Mizuno H, Hitomi S. A case of giant cell tumor of the rib with magnetic resonance imaging. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1996;10:214–216. CrossRef
- Goto T, Iijima T, Kawano H, Yamamoto A, Arai M, Matsuda K, et al. Serum acid phosphatase as a tumour marker in giant cell tumour of bone. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2001;121:411–413. CrossRef
- Takanami I, Takeuchi K, Naruke M, Kodaira S. Aggressive surgery for treating a pulmonary metastasis of a benign giant cell tumor of the bone: results in four cases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1998;116:649–651. CrossRef
- Anterior chest wall giant cell tumor
General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Volume 58, Issue 1 , pp 39-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Giant cell tumor
- Anterior chest wall tumor
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Faculty of Medicine, Hamedan, Iran
- 2. School of Medicine, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Faculty of Medicine, Hamedan, Iran
- 3. Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Faculty of Medicine, Hamedan, Iran