Thermal analysis of isothermal crystallization kinetics in blends of cocoa butter with milk fat or milk fat fractions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The kinetics of isothermal crystallization of binary mixtures of cocoa butter with milk fat and milk fat fractions were evaluated by applying the Avrami equation. Application of the Avrami equation to isothermal crystallization of the fats and the binary fat blends revealed different nucleation and growth mechanisms for the fats, based on the Avrami exponent. The suggested mechanism for cocoa butter crystallization was heterogeneous nucleation and spherulitic growth from sporadic nuclei. For milk fat, the mechanism was instantaneous heterogeneous nucleation followed by spherulitic growth. For milk fat fractions, the mechanism was high nucleation rate at the beginning of crystallization, which decreased with time, and plate-like growth. Addition of milk fat fractions did not cause a significant change in the suggested nucleation and growth mechanism of cocoa butter.
- Chaiseri, S., and P.S. Dimick, Cocoa Butter—Its Composition and Properties, Manuf. Confect. 67:115–122 (1987).
- Ziegleder, V.G., Crystallization of Chocolate Masses. Part 1, Zucker-u-Suss. Wirt. 41:165–168 (1988).
- Hartel, R.W., Applications of Milk-Fat Fractions in Confectionery Products, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 73:944–953 (1996). CrossRef
- Metin, S., J. Fabian, and R.W. Hartel, Milk Fat Crystallization: An Overview, in Proceeding of Bremer International Workshop on Industrial Crystallization, University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany, 1996, pp. 61–69.
- Chapman, G.M., E.E. Akehurst, and W.B. Wright, Cocoa Butter and Confectionery Fats. Studies Using Programmed Temperature X-Ray Diffraction and Differential Scanning Calorimetry, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 48:824–830 (1971). CrossRef
- Jewell, G.G., and L. Bradford, Considerations in Chocolate Formulation, Manuf. Conf. 61:26–30 (1981).
- Edwards, W.P., Uses for Dairy Ingredients in Confectionery, J. Soc. Dairy Technol. 37:122–125 (1984).
- Kaylegian, K.E., and R.C. Lindsay, Handbook of Milk Fat Fractionation Technology and Application, AOCS Press, Champaign, 1995.
- Timms, R.E., The Phase Behaviour of Mixtures of Cocoa Butter and Milk Fat, Lebensm. Wiss. Technol. 13:61–65 (1980).
- Campbell, L. B., A. Anderson, and P.G. Keeney, Hydrogenated Milk Fat as an Inhibitor of the Fat Bloom Defect in Dark Chocolate, J. Dairy Sci. 59:976–979 (1969). CrossRef
- Hendrickx, H., H. DeMoor, A. Huyghebaert, and G. Janssen, Manufacture of Chocolate Containing Hydrogenated Butterfat, Rev. Int. Choc. 26:190–193 (1971).
- Timms, R.E., and J.V. Parekh, The Possibilities for Using Hydrogenated, Fractionated or Interesterified Milk Fat in Chocolate, Lebensm. Wiss. Technol. 13:177–181 (1980).
- Barna, C.M., R.W. Hartel, and S. Metin, Incorporation of Milk Fat Fractions into Milk Chocolates, Manuf. Conf. 72:107–116 (1992).
- Bystrom, C.E., and R.W. Hartel, Evaluation of Milk Fat Fractionation and Modification Techniques for Creating Cocoa Butter Replacers, Lebensm. Wiss. Technol. 27:142–150 (1994). CrossRef
- Lohman, M.H., and R.W. Hartel, Effect of Milk Fat Fractions on Fat Bloom in Dark Chocolate, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 71:267–276 (1994). CrossRef
- Wood, J.S., Milk-Fat Fraction Incorporation in Dark and Milk Chocolate, Master’s Thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1994.
- Metin, S., and R.W. Hartel, Crystallization Behavior of Blends of Cocoa Butter and Milk Fat or Milk-Fat Fractions, J. Thermal Anal. 47:1527–1544 (1996). CrossRef
- Metin, S., Crystallization Behavior and Kinetics of Blends of Cocoa Butter and Milk Fat or Milk Fat Fractions, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1997.
- Kissinger, H.E., Reaction Kinetics in Differential Thermal Analysis, Anal. Chem. 29:1702–1706 (1957). CrossRef
- Ozawa, T., Kinetics of Non-Isothermal Crystallization, Polymer 12:150–158 (1971). CrossRef
- Duswalt, A.A., The Practice of Obtaining Kinetic Data by Differential Scanning Calorimetry, Thermochim. Acta 8:57–68 (1974). CrossRef
- Augis, J.A., and J.E. Bennett, Calculation of the Avrami Parameters for Heterogeneous Solid State Reactions Using a Modification of the Kissinger Method, J. Thermal Anal. 13:283–292 (1978). CrossRef
- Henderson, D.W., Thermal Analysis of Non-Isothermal Crystallization Kinetics in Glass Forming Liquids, J. Non-Crystalline Solids 30:301–315 (1979). CrossRef
- Weinberg, M.C., On the Analysis of Non-Isothermal Thermoanalytic Crystallization Experiments, J. Non-Crystalline Solids 127:151–158 (1991). CrossRef
- Woldt, E., The Relationship Between Isothermal and Nonisothermal Description of Johnson-Mehl-Avrami-Komogorov Kinetics, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 53:521–527 (1992). CrossRef
- Graydon, J.W., S.J. Thorpe, and D.W. Kirk, Determination of the Avrami Exponent for Solid State Transformations from Non-Isothermal Differential Scanning Calorimetry, J. Non-Crystalline Solids 175:31–43 (1994). CrossRef
- Christian, J.W., The Theory of Transformations in Metals and Alloys, 2nd edn., Pergamon Press, London, 1975.
- Kawamura, K., The DSC Thermal Analysis of Crystallization Behavior in Palm Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 56:753–758 (1979).
- Ziegleder, V.G., DSC—Thermal Analysis and Kinetics of Cocoa Butter Crystallization, Fat Sci. Technol. 92:481–485 (1990).
- Herrera, M.L., and F.J. Marques Rocha, Effects of Sucrose Esters on the Kinetics of Polymorphic Transition in Hydrogenated Sunflower Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 73:321–326 (1996). CrossRef
- Dibildox-Alvarado, E., and J.F. Toro-Vazques, Isothermal Crystallization of Tripalmitin in Sesame Oil, Ibid.:69–76 (1997). CrossRef
- Avrami, M., Kinetics of Phase Change. II. Transformation-Time Relations for Random Distribution of Nuclei, J. Chem. Phys. 8:212–224 (1940). CrossRef
- Doremus, R.H., Rates of Phase Transformations, Academic Press, Orlando, 1985, pp. 24–26.
- Arvanitoyannis, I., and J.M.V. Blanshard. Rates of Crystallization of Dried Lactose-Sucrose Mixtures, J. Food Sci. 59:197–205 (1994). CrossRef
- Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, 3rd edn., AOCS, Champaign, 1973, Method Cc 1–25.
- Sharples, A., Introduction to Polymer Crystallization, Edward Arnold Publishers, Ltd., London, 1966, pp. 4–60.
- Ahza, A.B., Kinetics of Milk Fat Crystallization in a Continuous Crystallizer, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1995.
- Chapman, D., The Polymorphism of Glycerides, Chem. Rev. 62:433–456 (1962). CrossRef
- Thermal analysis of isothermal crystallization kinetics in blends of cocoa butter with milk fat or milk fat fractions
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 75, Issue 11 , pp 1617-1624
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Avrami equation
- cocoa butter
- crystallization kinetics
- isothermal crystallization
- milk fat
- milk fat fractions
- Industry Sectors