Ozone-mediated polyol synthesis from soybean oil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Polyols from vegetable oils can replace petroleumbased polyols in the preparation of polyurethanes and polyesters in a wide range of applications. However, previous preparation methods are either too costly, inefficient, or yield secondary alcohols, which are less reactive than the desired primary alcohols. The objectives of this study were to prepare primary soy-based polyols by a new catalytic ozonolysis process and to characterize the composition of the product mixture. In this new process, the polyols were prepared by passing ozone through a solution of soybean oil and ethylene glycol in the presence of an alkaline catalyst. Unlike conventional ozonolysis that yields aldehydes and carboxylic acids by spontaneous decomposition of the ozonide intermediates, the ozonides in our method reacted with the hydroxyl group of the glycol to form an ester linkage with a terminal hydroxy group. Statistical analysis of the product mixture indicates that the resulting polyol mixture is more uniform than the original TG mixture, having (2-hydroxy)nonanoate as the major component of the new hydroxyl functional TG. The chemical structure of the polyols produced was further characterized by iodine number and 13C NMR and FTIR spectroscopy, which confirmed the cleavage of the double bonds, the presence of hydroxyl groups, and the formation of new ester linkages.
- Stanton, J.M., Isocyanate-Modified Drying Oils, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 36:503–507 (1959).
- Wells, E.R., Urethane Wood Varnishes of High Durability, Paint Varn. Prod. 51:41–43 (1961).
- Sherringham, J.A., A.J. Clark, and B.R.T. Keene, New Chemical Feedstocks from Unsaturated Oils, Lipid Technol. 12:129–132 (2000).
- Gruber, B., R. Hoefer, H. Kluth, and A. Meffert, Polyols on the Basis of Oleochemical Raw Materials, Fett Wiss. Technol. 89:147–151 (1987). CrossRef
- Heidbreder, A., R. Gruetzmacher, U. Nagorny, and A. Westfechtel, Use of Fatty Ester-Based Polyols for Polyurethane Casting Resins and Coating Materials, DE Patent 96-19646424 (1998).
- Frankel, E.N., and E.H. Pryde, Catalytic Hydroformylation and Hydrocarboxylation of Unsaturated Fatty Compounds, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 54:873–881 (1977).
- Khoe, T.H., F.H. Otey, and E.N. Frankel, Rigid Urethane Foams from Hydroxymethylated Linseed Oil and Polyol Esters, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 49:615–618 (1972).
- Guo, A., D. Demydov, W. Zhang, and Z.S. Petrovic, Polyols and Polyurethanes from Hydroformylation of Soybean Oil, J. Polym. Environ. 10:49–52 (2002). CrossRef
- Takahara, J. and T. Setoyama, Process for Preparation of Polyhydric Alcohols by Oxidation of Olefins having a Carbonyl Group and Catalytic Hydrogenation, WO Application Patent 2002049999 (2002).
- Michaelson, R.G. and R.C. Austin, Hydroxylation of Olefins, U.S. Patent 4, 314, 088 (1982).
- ASTM, Standard Test Method for Hydroxyl Value of Fatty Oils and Acids, in Annual Book of Standards, ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA, 2001, Method D1957-86.
- ASTM, Standard Test Method for Iodine Value of Drying Oils and Fatty Acids, in Annual Book of Standards, ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA, (1997), Method D1959-97.
- Ledea, O., J. Molerio, M. Diaz, D. Jardines, A. Rosado, and T. Correa, Revista CENIC, Cienc. Quim. 29:75–78 (1998).
- Marshall, J.A., and A.W. Garofalo, Oxidative Cleavage of Mono-, Di-, and Trisubstituted Olefins to Methyl Esters Through Ozonolysis in Methanolic Sodium Hydroxide, J. Org. Chem. 58:3675–3680 (1993). CrossRef
- Gunstone, F.D., and F.B. Padley, (eds.), Lipid Technologies and Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1997, pp. 23. (http://www.asa-europe.org/SoyInfo/composition_e.htm)
- Bailey, P.S., J.E. Keller, D.A. Mitchard, and H.M. White, Ozonation of Amines, in Oxidation of Organic Compounds, Advances in Chemistry Series 77, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, 1968, pp. 58–64.
- Rebrovic, L., Catalyzed Process for Oxidation of Ozonides of Unsaturates to Carboxylic Acids, U.S. Patent 5,399,749 (1995).
- Ozone-mediated polyol synthesis from soybean oil
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 82, Issue 9 , pp 653-659
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- soybean oil
- Industry Sectors