Oxidation kinetics of β-carotene in oleic acid solvent with addition of an antioxidant, α-tocopherol
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oxidation experiments with β-carotene were performed in oleic acid solvent with addition of an antioxidant, α-tocopherol. A kinetic model was proposed based on a reaction mechanism consisting of the oxidation of β-carotene, oleic acid, and α-tocopherol; the antioxidation reactions of β-carotene and oleic acid by α-tocopherol; the cross-reaction of β-carotene and oleic acid; and the radical-exchange reaction of β-carotene and α-tocopherol. The model quantitatively described the oxidation behavior of β-carotene over a wide range of temperatures, oxygen compositions, and initial antioxidant concentrations. The model simulated well the time over which β-carotene was almost totally consumed under practical storage conditions at room temperature in air.
- Li, Z.-L., L.-M. Wu, L.-P. Ma, Y.-C. Liu, and Z.-L. Liu, Antioxidant Synergism and Mutual Protection of α-Tocopherol and β-Carotene in the Inhibition of Radical-Initiated Peroxidation of Linoleic Acid in Solution, J. Phys. Org. Chem. 8:774–780 (1995). CrossRef
- Niki, E., N. Noguchi, H. Tsuchihashi, and N. Gotoh, Interaction Among Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and β-Carotene, Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 62 (Suppl.):1322S-1326S (1995).
- Takahashi, A., J. Suzuki, N. Shibasaki-Kitakawa, and T. Yonemoto, A Kinetic Model for Co-oxidation of β-Carotene with Oleic Acid, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 78:1203–1207 (2001).
- Takahashi, A., N. Shibasaki-Kitakawa, and T. Yonemoto, A Rigorous Kinetic Model for β-Carotene Oxidation in the Presence of an Antioxidant, α-Tocopherol, ——Ibid. 80:1241–1247 (2003).
- Takahashi, A., N. Shibasaki-Kitakawa, and T. Yonemoto, Kinetic Model for Autoxidation of β-Carotene in Organic Solutions, ——Ibid. 76:897–903 (1999).
- Takahashi, A., N. Shibasaki-Kitakawa, and T. Yonemoto, Kinetic Analysis for Oxidation of Oleic Acid, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn. 33:481–488 (2000). CrossRef
- Lampi, A.-M., L. Kataja, A. Kamal-Eldin, and P. Vieno, Antioxidant Activities of α- and γ-Tocopherols in the Oxidation of Rapeseed Oil Triacylglycerols, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 76:749–755 (1999).
- Denisov, E.T., and I.V. Khudyakov, Mechanisms of Action and Reactivities of the Free Radicals of Inhibitors, Chem. Rev. 87:1313–1357 (1987). CrossRef
- Bamfold, C.H., and C.F.H. Tipper (eds.), Comprehensive Chemical Kinetics, Volume 16, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1980, pp. 125.
- Bamfold, C.H., and C.F.H. Tipper (eds.) Comprehensive Chemical Kinetics, Volume 16, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1980, pp. 34–181.
- Oxidation kinetics of β-carotene in oleic acid solvent with addition of an antioxidant, α-tocopherol
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 81, Issue 4 , pp 389-394
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- kinetic model
- oleic acid
- Industry Sectors